Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,721x in 4,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iowa Poll: Warren Within 10 Points of Lead

One of the things I'm watching the closest in this contest is polling out of Iowa because the Iowa Caucus comes first in the primary battle and the winner of the Iowa Caucus typically goes on to become the Democratic Party's nominee for president (e.g. has done so every time this century so far). Because their contest is first and sets the tone for the rest, Iowa voters also typically start tuning into the race earlier than other voters do, and in that way too can serve as an indicator of where things are going.

As things presently stand, there is a clear downward trend for front-runner and party establishment favorite Joe Biden among Iowa voters. In the most recent poll out of Iowa, he garnered 24% support among Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents, as compared with 27% in March before he declared his candidacy and 32% back in December. Moreover, this survey also indicates that his supporters are less enthusiastic than those of many other candidates. While Biden has long been christened the likely winner of the nominating battle (including by me, and also President Trump), I now have strong doubts that that will happen. He had a rocky start, launching his campaign by negotiating various scandals involving inappropriate touching and other forms of questionable behavior toward women, and he's proven since to just be a weak campaigner. He seems to be taking victory for granted and largely not bothering to campaign. He holds few rallies compared to many of his top rivals and doesn't attend town halls, for example. He also finds himself changing positions on issues abruptly (as in the recent case of the Hyde Amendment), which detracts from his vital image as an honest and authentic person, which has been heralded as his main asset. And then there's been just cringe-inducing stuff like the now-infamous Biden-Barack friendship bracelet and even former Obama advisor David Axelrod found to be too much in the way of naked ass-kissing.

Looking at all this, one begins to recall why Biden performed so poorly the last two times he ran for president. I hereby predict that he'll bomb in the upcoming debate and wind up as sort of the Jeb Bush of this contest.

I really think the first debate will shake things up because while these rallies and town halls may get hundreds, thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of observers, the fact is that the first debate in any given nominating battle is always the single most-viewed event thereof; tens of millions of Americans will tune in. THAT is enough to shake up the race fundamentally, and I think it will. It's impossible to predict who will actually win the nomination at this early stage, but were I a betting person (and admittedly there's a reason I'm not), I'd bet that the most likely person will be Pete Buttigieg. He's more or less in the same lane as Joe Biden ideologically, but has the ability to draw in younger, more enthusiastic voters. He also just comes off as way more competent. This Iowa poll shows him now up to 14% there, just two points away from Bernie Sanders and only 10 behind Biden.

The candidates I'm the most interested in personally are Elizabeth Warren (mainly for her economic policy ideas) and Marianne Williamson (mainly for her foreign policy ideas), though I tend to doubt that either (especially Williamson) will emerge victorious. I also dislike Williamson's lack of governing experience, but just find her to be a unique and interesting candidate nonetheless. Elizabeth Warren has a tremendous ability to communicate complex and detailed policy positions in a way that is clear and easy to understand. It's a quality that makes her a good teacher, and I think that's something we need right now, in addition to a lot of the actual ideas that she stands for. Strikingly, this poll shows her at 15% in Iowa, just one point behind Bernie Sanders and nine away from the lead. I don't she'd be allowed to win the nomination, but still there are some small signs of hope like this that I'm seeing more and more often these days.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,458x in 20,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warren's only platform is hate Trump.
    If you have any other planks for her platform or can rate her economics or foreign policies, please list those here. That is more important than "I hate Trump!"
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (06-12-2019)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,020x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Warren's only platform is hate Trump.
    If you have any other planks for her platform or can rate her economics or foreign policies, please list those here. That is more important than "I hate Trump!"
    I don't like the woman, but she's put out a number of policies.

If you watched something besides Hannity and Fox and Friends and listened to something besides Rush, you'd know that.

https://elizabethwarren.com/issues/

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Don29palms's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 555x in 374 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's extremely disturbing that anyone would vote for any of the mental defective idiots the demonrats are running for president. It's embarrassing.
    VOTE DEMOCRAT!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Don29palms For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (06-12-2019)

Achievements:
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to imagine someone who supports Trump having the capacity to be embarrassed.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alexa For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-12-2019),Safety (06-12-2019),Standing Wolf (06-12-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,614x in 25,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She’s put out an Americans First jobs stance, I think.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,458x in 20,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    I don't like the woman, but she's put out a number of policies.

If you watched something besides Hannity and Fox and Friends and listened to something besides Rush, you'd know that.

https://elizabethwarren.com/issues/
    surprisingly, I don't watch TV news unless it is for the weather.
    However, she's one of those who is for free stuff for everyone except conservatives. She also loves her illegal aliens.
    What's her position on dealing with the ME, China, Mexico. and the EU?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    ...It's impossible to predict who will actually win the nomination at this early stage, but were I a betting person (and admittedly there's a reason I'm not), I'd bet that the most likely person will be Pete Buttigieg. He's more or less in the same lane as Joe Biden ideologically, but has the ability to draw in younger, more enthusiastic voters. He also just comes off as way more competent. This Iowa poll shows him now up to 14% there, just two points away from Bernie Sanders and only 10 behind Biden....

Unfortunately, while the majority of Americans have arrived in the 21st Century when it comes to issues like same-sex marriage, I don't believe a sufficient number has overcome their prejudices to the point where they would ever, under any circumstances, vote for a gay President. Personally, I'd like to see Warren as the Democratic candidate; I believe she has the best chance of besting Trump in the general election.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (06-13-2019)

Achievements:
    alexa's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    surprisingly, I don't watch TV news unless it is for the weather.
    However, she's one of those who is for free stuff for everyone except conservatives. She also loves her illegal aliens.
    What's her position on dealing with the ME, China, Mexico. and the EU?
    I gave you the link- print it out and have someone read it to you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to alexa For This Useful Post:

Safety (06-12-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,489x in 55,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    She’s put out an Americans First jobs stance, I think.

And she's declared herself a capitalist and positioned herself as its savior!!

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...talism/568573/
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

+ Reply to Thread