User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What is success ?

  1. #1

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 331,772, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    331435
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    57,819
    Points
    331,772
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    4,399
    Thanked 10,637x in 6,653 Posts
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What is success ?

    Is success being the CEO of a Corporation and having a salary in the millions. Is Success becoming a Dr or a Lawyer.

    Are you successful if you got up everyday went to work at a job, put away what you could over many many years have a 401k or a pension and ground out a living for 45-55 yrs. Never took a hand out from the govt, just ground it out day in and day out.

    To me they are all successful, not everyone can be a mega million CEO or a Dr or Lawyer, but EVERYONE can get up every morning grind it out and make life better for themselves.

    Theres too many today that believe they are entitled to what others busted their ass for, without doing anything.

    The democrats expect millions of american citizens, that get up everyday and grind it out, to keep grinding it out and then pay for those who WONT grind it out and even pay for illegal immigrants that shouldnt even be here.

    They want us to pay for the irresponsibility of women who continue and insist on getting impregnated by random men with unwanted babies.

    They want us to pay for other peoples children to go to college for free.

    They want us to pay for a myriad of other things to give to others for free with no effort needed on their part.

    But most of all democrats must have us keep busting our ass and grinding it out because without us they cant pay for it. Because all the CEOS and Drs and Lawyers alone cant possibly pay for all that. Please tell me WHAT IS THE INCENTIVE for us to do that

    I consider myself relatively successful, I have no college education, didnt graduate the 8th grade formally, raised in projects and low end neighborhoods, my wife and I started at the bottom and ground and scratched our way to finally a comfortable lot in life. It TOOK decades, we did it the hard way. Everyone can do it, you just gotta DO IT.
    Last edited by Common; 06-15-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    Don29palms (06-15-2019),Peter1469 (06-15-2019)

  3. #2
    Points: 458,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397074
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    149,139
    Points
    458,288
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,398
    Thanked 44,648x in 32,855 Posts
    Mentioned
    1718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Success is assessing where you are, establishing a goal of where you want to be, and working toward it.

    Dylan sings "She knows there's no success like failure, and that failure's no success at all."
    Last edited by Chris; 06-15-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Common (06-15-2019)

  5. #3
    Points: 117,136, Level: 83
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,514
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    80793
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    39,596
    Points
    117,136
    Level
    83
    Thanks Given
    6,367
    Thanked 12,758x in 9,655 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Is success being the CEO of a Corporation and having a salary in the millions. Is Success becoming a Dr or a Lawyer.

    Are you successful if you got up everyday went to work at a job, put away what you could over many many years have a 401k or a pension and ground out a living for 45-55 yrs. Never took a hand out from the govt, just ground it out day in and day out.

    To me they are all successful, not everyone can be a mega million CEO or a Dr or Lawyer, but EVERYONE can get up every morning grind it out and make life better for themselves.

    Theres too many today that believe they are entitled to what others busted their ass for, without doing anything.

    The democrats expect millions of american citizens, that get up everyday and grind it out, to keep grinding it out and then pay for those who WONT grind it out and even pay for illegal immigrants that shouldnt even be here.

    They want us to pay for the irresponsibility of women who continue and insist on getting impregnated by random men with unwanted babies.

    They want us to pay for other peoples children to go to college for free.

    They want us to pay for a myriad of other things to give to others for free with no effort needed on their part.

    But most of all democrats must have us keep busting our ass and grinding it out because without us they cant pay for it. Because all the CEOS and Drs and Lawyers alone cant possibly pay for all that. Please tell me WHAT IS THE INCENTIVE for us to do that

    I consider myself relatively successful, I have no college education, didnt graduate the 8th grade formally, raised in projects and low end neighborhoods, my wife and I started at the bottom and ground and scratched our way to finally a comfortable lot in life. It TOOK decades, we did it the hard way. Everyone can do it, you just gotta DO IT.

    Success is many things to many people and at least for me, different things in different stages of life. For a while it was sorts and just having fun, then it was scoring, then it was hiding my drinking. The less i chased the dollar, the more it came to me.
    Now i think success is seeing the triumphs of my children and grandchildren. Bottom line success is what makes you happy, not what feeds your ego. I think it's hard to be happy without enough to eat, but their are lots of unhappy super rich as well.

  6. #4
    Points: 146,461, Level: 91
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    294650
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    N Oregon Coast
    Posts
    34,146
    Points
    146,461
    Level
    91
    Thanks Given
    10,605
    Thanked 9,620x in 7,751 Posts
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Success is being happy and at peace with oneself and with the world.

    Part of that is doing something for someone else each day, no matter how seemingly small.

    Not sure why you needed to include a screed about liberals.
    Fascism begins with a central argument that the world is broken .. everything is a mess -Unknown

  7. #5
    Points: 97,570, Level: 76
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 2,380
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    42835
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    33,130
    Points
    97,570
    Level
    76
    Thanks Given
    6,085
    Thanked 9,838x in 7,189 Posts
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with donttread. Happiness is grandchildren. To see the happiness in your own children's faces while they parent. And then of course, enjoying their struggles during their own children's terrible twos. Good thing they have Ransom. Children spoiled while you wait.
    People who enter the US without our permission are illegal aliens and illegal aliens should not be treated the same as people who entered the US legally

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

    Bo-4 (06-15-2019)

  9. #6
    Points: 146,461, Level: 91
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Bo-4's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    294650
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    N Oregon Coast
    Posts
    34,146
    Points
    146,461
    Level
    91
    Thanks Given
    10,605
    Thanked 9,620x in 7,751 Posts
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I agree with donttread. Happiness is grandchildren. To see the happiness in your own children's faces while they parent. And then of course, enjoying their struggles during their own children's terrible twos. Good thing they have Ransom. Children spoiled while you wait.
    Around once a year my 24 year old daughter tells me: "Dad, hate to tell ya, but you're never gonna be a grandfather".

    That could change of course - but hopefully before I'm too old to run around with 'em and spoil 'em.

    I envy Grandpa Ransom ;-)
    Fascism begins with a central argument that the world is broken .. everything is a mess -Unknown

  10. #7
    Points: 209,224, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    267598
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Posts
    92,531
    Points
    209,224
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    10,615
    Thanked 36,577x in 27,341 Posts
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Success is assessing where you are, establishing a goal of where you want to be, and working toward it.

    Dylan sings "She knows there's no success like failure, and that failure's no success at all."
    Success would also require achieving those goals.

  11. #8
    Original Ranter
    Points: 529,172, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    427113
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    158,997
    Points
    529,172
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    93,458
    Thanked 78,090x in 52,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    2220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo-4 View Post
    Around once a year my 24 year old daughter tells me: "Dad, hate to tell ya, but you're never gonna be a grandfather".

    That could change of course - but hopefully before I'm too old to run around with 'em and spoil 'em.

    I envy Grandpa Ransom ;-)
    It will likely change shortly after she turns 30.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Bo-4 (06-15-2019)

  13. #9
    Original Ranter
    Points: 529,172, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    427113
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    158,997
    Points
    529,172
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    93,458
    Thanked 78,090x in 52,721 Posts
    Mentioned
    2220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Success is living up to your potential, and realizing that you have.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  14. #10

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 331,772, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    331435
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    57,819
    Points
    331,772
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    4,399
    Thanked 10,637x in 6,653 Posts
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo-4 View Post
    Success is being happy and at peace with oneself and with the world.

    Part of that is doing something for someone else each day, no matter how seemingly small.

    Not sure why you needed to include a screed about liberals.
    I added the liberal screed because its true, every single point I made is accurate and represents the liberal agenda called for by the 2020 democrat candidates. I left out reparations and Kamala Harris idea to subsidize what she calls average housing.

    Obviously BO the only people that pay for EVERYTHING the liberals want to give away are americans that get up and go to work. The rich alone cannot pay for it, they must have the working class's cash.

    When you put all the things together down in writing right in the face so everyone can read the absurd list. EVERYONE every single liberal, every single democrat along with everyone else can readily see how absurd and ridiculous and IMPOSSIBLE it is.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    Don29palms (06-15-2019)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO