User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does our society keep and add unenforceable bans?

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,516x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does our society keep and add unenforceable bans?

Drugs\
    Gambling
    Prostitution
    Cuban Cigars ( at one time)
    Exotic Pets
    Abortion

Anything that is banned continues to happen. However, many laws do indeed limit the number of crimes AND actually involve one individual somehow harming another. Drugs, prostitution, gambling and Cuban Cigars are/were victimless AND unenforceable. It can be argued that exotic pets can harm the ecosystem for everyone and that abortion is a harm to the unborn being by those who define life as starting at conception. However, they too are largely unenforceable over time. I realize that each of these issues has it's own conversation as to why it should or should not be legal.

But how do each of them become the business of the government?

When do you realize that you are doubling down on a lost cause and try a better approach?

How do such bans fit in with the spirit of freedom?

What is the common denominator behind these bans?

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Drugs\
    Gambling
    Prostitution
    Exotic Pets
    Abortion

Anything that is banned continues to happen. However, many laws do indeed limit the number of crimes AND actually involve one individual somehow harming another. Drugs, prostitution, gambling and Cuban Cigars are/were victimless AND unenforceable. It can be argued that exotic pets can harm the ecosystem for everyone and that abortion is a harm to the unborn being by those who define life as starting at conception. However, they too are largely unenforceable over time. I realize that each of these issues has it's own conversation as to why it should or should not be legal.

When do you realize that you are doubling down on a lost cause and try a better approach?

The desire to control the actions of others. Add "hate speech" or the banning of symbols, such as a swastika or a Confederate flag to the list and we see an attempt to social engineer.

They often backfire -- or -- if they're successful, it's usually on a temporary basis.

It's a matter of one group of people telling another group -- don't do what makes you happy -- do what makes me happy.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (06-23-2019),donttread (06-15-2019),Retirednsmilin308 (06-21-2019),stjames1_53 (06-15-2019)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,516x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    The desire to control the actions of others. Add "hate speech" or the banning of symbols, such as a swastika or a Confederate flag to the list and we see an attempt to social engineer.

They often backfire -- or -- if they're successful, it's usually on a temporary basis.

It's a matter of one group of people telling another group -- don't do what makes you happy -- do what makes me happy.

Well said. Controlism.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (06-15-2019)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're both right, of course. I've said before that there are really only two kinds of people: those who feel compelled to micromanage and control others' lives, and those who don't. And if you believe that your "side" or political division is free of the former type, you're only kidding yourself.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

donttread (06-15-2019),FindersKeepers (06-15-2019),Retirednsmilin308 (06-21-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well said. Controlism.
    Statism. Centralization of power.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Private Pickle (06-15-2019),stjames1_53 (06-15-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drugs\
    Gambling
    Prostitution
    Exotic Pets
    Abortion

It's perceived control. People who are law abiding are the majority. They aren't targeting criminals with these laws...they are targeting the everyday citizen. The citizen that votes, contributes and pays taxes.

Things like smoking weed and prostitution narrow down to individual choice. The government wants to limit that as much as possible. They know there are criminals out there that will break the law no matter what... They don't care about those individuals. I mean after they convict them of a felony they are obsolete given they can't vote and as such are no longer important. So they target the everyday citizen in order to gain control over how they behave and what choices they make. Then they utilize the media to convince those same people that anything less than obedience is unpatriotic, traitorous and against the word of God. Talk about taking the Lord's name in vain!

Unfortunately it's a winning strategy as our populace is completely entertainment influenced...
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

donttread (06-15-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    You're both right, of course. I've said before that there are really only two kinds of people: those who feel compelled to micromanage and control others' lives, and those who don't. And if you believe that your "side" or political division is free of the former type, you're only kidding yourself.
    Unfortunately this isn't about how our citizenry treats each other... It's about how our government wants complete control. They utilize tools such as legislation, executive orders, the media and public perception to achieve their goals. Unfortunately Americans are stupid, uneducated and ignorant with regards to any type of political prowess.

It's easy to sway American public opinion. It can happen overnight... Sad but true.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I took my mother shopping today and we had a similar discussion about a bar owner who had to close his doors when smoking was banned in restaurants and bars. My mother was adamant it was the best thing, since "those smokers shouldn't be smoking anyway, it's not good for them." I held that if the bar owner wanted a smoking bar, anyone who didn't want to be around smoke didn't need to go into that bar. But she wouldn't bend (neither would I). I told her the pastries she'd just purchased were not good for her, but I wasn't going to take them away from her. She didn't make the connection.

You're right -- all political divisions do it.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,578x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drugs\
    Gambling
    Prostitution
    Exotic Pets
    Abortion/murder

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    EvilCat Breath's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 965x in 637 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drugs\
    Gambling
    Prostitution
    Exotic Pets
    Abortion

These bans of course make a great deal of sense. You do not understand freedom. With freedom comes heavy chains of responsibility.

+ Reply to Thread