Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,538x in 55,961 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    He means liberalism in its original sense.
    If he's talking about classical liberalism I'd agree I thought he was talking about modern American liberalism.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I completely disagree. Liberalism is not about individualism. Its also not about equality. However liberalism strives for equality of outcome regardless of one's skill or effort.
    What we call classical liberalism most certainly was. At the time of the Revolution, those Enlightened ideas were just taking hold so you see documents like the Declaration and Bill of Rights still address the rights of the people even while such thinkers as Jefferson mused the rights of the people were just the sum of the rights of individuals.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,538x in 55,961 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    What we call classical liberalism most certainly was. At the time of the Revolution, those Enlightened ideas were just taking hold so you see documents like the Declaration and Bill of Rights still address the rights of the people even while such thinkers as Jefferson mused the rights of the people were just the sum of the rights of individuals.
    See my previous comment.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can someone translate that?
    Yes. He was saying Hillary Clinton = gender confused
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    See my previous comment.
    Libertarianism is founded on the Enlightened principles of individualism and equality, thus the libertarian side of conservatism is infused with it. What's odd is conservatives like Russell Kirk who despises libertarians of libertines in his Concise Guide to Conservatism embraces a moderate form of individualism, just warns it's not the selfish sort of Ayn Rand and not the mischaracterization modern liberals make of it. And that liberal criticism of individualism, too, is odd because individualism is embraced by thinkers from Rousseau to Marx which form the basis of most modern liberal ideology. There are only a few American conservatives who reject individual for communities, the little platoons of society Burke wrote of, though many European conservatives reject it altogether.

What do you think some of the so-called conservatives are arguing with me every time I reject their ideology of individualism?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If he's talking about classical liberalism I'd agree I thought he was talking about modern American liberalism.
    The aim of modern liberalism, say from Rousseau through Marx on, is to eliminate social customs, traditions, norms, institutions by perfecting society in the individual, as Marx put it, thereby leaving a void between the abstracted, isolated, atomized individual and the state. It is very much individualistic in ideology. Equality is the key to the process, equalizing, flattening, leveling society though equality, equality before the law, equality in opportunity, equality in outcome.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,247x in 12,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those terms are accurate when used to describe the depiction of gays which we both know is often deliberate and part and parcel of a particular agenda (i.e. the normalization of homosexual relationships). Those terms become absurd when used to describe something normative (e.g. heterosexual relationships). IOW, your simple reason wasn't so much simple as simple minded.
    If "the normalization of homosexual relationships" is an agenda, what is the demonizing of such relationships, and the effort to minimize and dismiss them?

Funny how the other guy's plans and priorities are always an "agenda" - with a negative or derogatory connotation always attached to that word.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,571x in 36,510 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    If "the normalization of homosexual relationships" is an agenda, what is the demonizing of such relationships, and the effort to minimize and dismiss them?

Funny how the other guy's plans and priorities are always an "agenda" - with a negative or derogatory connotation always attached to that word.
    Very few of us (any of us?) "demonize" or "minimize" those relationships. The problem is that virtually every objection to gay activism is labeled "demonization" or "oppression" or "bigotry" or whatever by...well people like you who have a weird emotional investment in this crusade for gay "rights".

No one has a heterosexual agenda. There is quite obviously a gay agenda and you know there is. For example, I don't think you're naive or stupid enough to believe gay activists just happen to select Christian owned bakeries for their "wedding" cakes. Obviously, those bakeries are deliberately chosen. Why? Well, you know why.
    Last edited by Mister D; 06-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's nice but very few of us "demonize" or "minimize" those relationships. The problem is that virtually every objection to gay activism is labeled "demonization" by...well people like you who have a weird emotional investment in this crusade for gay "rights".

No, it's not particularly funny because there is no "other guy" in this case. No one has a heterosexual agenda. There is quite obviously a gay agenda and you know there is. For example, I don't think you're naive or stupid enough to believe gay activists just happen to select Christian owned bakeries for their "wedding" cakes. Obviously, those bakeries are deliberately chosen. Why? Well, you know why.

The gay agenda is flying its flag in CA now: http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...80%99s-Capitol. No one flies a straight flag, there is none to be flown.

+ Reply to Thread