ramone's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 181x in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as good as I had hoped, I do prefer Hickory to Pecan, somebody gave me some pecan, told me how great it was and I figured I'd give it at try. Now I think I'm going to throw it in the trash can or use it for lake wook.

I wouldn't recommend pressure cooking it though. Taste wasn't as good and it didn't seem to get that jucy tender texture, it is faster though and if you want to do 10 or 15 pounds quick, that is the way to go. I cut a 10 # one in half and pressured it at 15 # for around an hour. That was according to the directions from my 19 ought 1 cooker with the clamps on top. I wasn't really happy with that so I took another quarter of it and smoked the crap out of it for a few hours and it was much better in the end. Fast isn't always better I have found out.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,511x in 2,019 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, for meat like that I think longer is almost always better, and not just the cooking either. That recipe for the corned beef called for ten days in brine.

Shame you'd have to pitch it...no dog to feed it to? Oh wait, you're talking about the wood not the meat.

Did you build your own smoker or buy a commercial one? I'm thinking about rigging one up now that it's warmer outside.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ramone's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I bought it, It's identical to this one. works great. Paid 199 bucks a couple years ago I think. I've actually made a couple out of old water heater tanks but they are a $#@! to weld with the porcelain liners but it can be done. Same basic thing as what you see here but I would put in some sort of baffle to slow down the smoke and contain it more. It's not something I've ever tried but If I ever build another one I'd try it because if the heat gets too hot then that would slow it down and cool it off. It would have to be something that was controllable like a firepace though. Directly from the fire box to the grill, don't know if it would work but it is a theory I have. I'm thinking controlled smoke would be constant no matter if the wood flares up, could be wrong however. Constant temp is a $#@! but required.

I got the pro model with the smoke box already attached. http://www.karott.com/barbeque/modif...p#char-griller

Last edited by ramone; 03-09-2012 at 08:32 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ramone For This Useful Post:

Conley (03-09-2012)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone View Post
    No I bought it, It's identical to this one. works great. Paid 199 bucks a couple years ago I think. I've actually made a couple out of old water heater tanks but they are a $#@! to weld with the porcelain liners but it can be done. Same basic thing as what you see here but I would put in some sort of baffle to slow down the smoke and contain it more. It's not something I've ever tried but If I ever build another one I'd try it because if the heat gets too hot then that would slow it down and cool it off. It would have to be something that was controllable like a firepace though. Directly from the fire box to the grill, don't know if it would work but it is a theory I have. I'm thinking controlled smoke would be constant no matter if the wood flares up, could be wrong however. Constant temp is a $#@! but required.

I got the pro model with the smoke box already attached. http://www.karott.com/barbeque/modif...p#char-griller

Nice. Yeah, for $200 that would do nicely and save me a lot of time. Interesting idea...I hear you on keeping the temp constant.

Achievements:
    ramone's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are my thoughts if you can decipher them on the regulation of temp. I honestly think it would work, at least better than having to rotate meat all the time because of being closer to the firebox. Tell me what you think about it. It's a crude drawing but if you are a welder you can grasp the concept. You may have to adjust the size of the holes but I'm thinking this is a much better system for a constant temp.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that would work if I'm reading the drawing correctly. I searched online and see a lot of results for a modified baffle, some pretty complex.

Here's one that's a little different (scroll down to Bandera modifications)

http://www.bbqinstitute.com/smokermods.htm

Achievements:
    ramone's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    I think that would work if I'm reading the drawing correctly. I searched online and see a lot of results for a modified baffle, some pretty complex.

Here's one that's a little different (scroll down to Bandera modifications)

http://www.bbqinstitute.com/smokermods.htm
    The Bandera mod is not an entry level smoker mod. I've built them like that before with racks three feet off the smoker base. Works great but you have to rotate very often, problem being that the height is so much that the smokes cools before it gets to the top. I love the concept and it works great for a back yard party where you are there for hours while everybody else gets blasted. You in turn get to stay sober and rotate meat.

Thats what I did with a few water heaters. Take a 40 gal and cut 2/3 to 1/3, weld them with the 2/3 upright. Same thing but the meat at the bottom will still get done way faster than the top. It's a great concept but doesn't really work that well in reality. I'm still thinking that a higher area of smoke, over a slower escape would be much more regulated.

I'm thinking that if there is a hole of standard size then you can't get even temp, could be wrong but unless it is regulated directly under the meat then it can't be constant. I've even toyed with the idea of a small low volume fan mounted outside to direct the flow and intermingle the heat to remain constant. Probably never get to patent that now, will I? LOL

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ramone For This Useful Post:

Conley (03-09-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,406x in 36,393 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only brisket's that I've had any luck with come from the butcher shop. Those packers you get from places like wally world are hit and miss, no matter how good you think you are at spotting good meat. I'd rather spend 15 or 20 bucks more and get butcher grade than waste 30 on one that may or may not be tender no matter what you do to it.
    Boarshead is a quality product in my experience. I just picked a 1.64 lb corn beef brisket. I'll cook that tomorrow with a small napa cabbage some potatoes. It was on sale and it's super lean. Can't wait.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    ramone's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate cabbage, is smells like somebody farted in the house. I can't even stand the smell of it cooking, it's either a hate/love relationship I suppose. I like corned beef though, same as I hate onions but like liver cooked with them.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Bandera mod is not an entry level smoker mod. I've built them like that before with racks three feet off the smoker base. Works great but you have to rotate very often, problem being that the height is so much that the smokes cools before it gets to the top. I love the concept and it works great for a back yard party where you are there for hours while everybody else gets blasted. You in turn get to stay sober and rotate meat.

Thats what I did with a few water heaters. Take a 40 gal and cut 2/3 to 1/3, weld them with the 2/3 upright. Same thing but the meat at the bottom will still get done way faster than the top. It's a great concept but doesn't really work that well in reality. I'm still thinking that a higher area of smoke, over a slower escape would be much more regulated.

I'm thinking that if there is a hole of standard size then you can't get even temp, could be wrong but unless it is regulated directly under the meat then it can't be constant. I've even toyed with the idea of a small low volume fan mounted outside to direct the flow and intermingle the heat to remain constant. Probably never get to patent that now, will I? LOL
    You should do it. Sounds like a fun experiment if you've got the time.

+ Reply to Thread