Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper construction techniques of pizza

When I order a pizza I require that the toppings are placed under the cheese layer. When placed on top of the cheese layer the toppings get over-cooked and lose their flavor. When allowed to meld flavors in the pizza sauce under the cheese layer, you get a tastier product IMO.

Rule numero uno: No Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa John's or other corporate chains allowed. Only mom-n-pops using real products. My preferred vendors grind their own sausage and make their own sauce. Nothing comes frozen or in a bag.

I have one shop that is a combo deli/pizzeria that stocks Boar's Head meats. IMO Boar's Head pepperoni is the best domestic pepperoni I have had. It comes in large 3 " diameter rolls and is cut to order any thinness or thickness you like, then used to make your pizza.

Some famous Chicago area pizzerias have opened-up here in Arizona recently. I hope they are as good as they were when I lived there way back when.

/pizza snobery

start lunch plans
    Last edited by jimmyz; 06-19-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (06-19-2019),Peter1469 (06-19-2019)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but most of us have been eating Pizza Hut, Dominoes and (ugh!) Papa John's for most or all of our lives, and a lot of the small, specialty shops turn out pizzas that just taste weird to us. I've read about Phoenix's own Pizzeria Bianco - said by many international food critics to make the best pizzas in the world - and the kinds of toppings they use may be healthy and unique and all that, but they just don't make me hungry.

This just doesn't look like a pizza to me.

Everyone's tastes in food are different, of course, but as far as I'm concerned, Pizza Hut knows exactly what I want and they provide it. Thin crust with beef, pepperoni, mushrooms, onions and black olives. And the cheese is where it's always been.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    When I order a pizza I require that the toppings are placed under the cheese layer. When placed on top of the cheese layer the toppings get over-cooked and lose their flavor. When allowed to meld flavors in the pizza sauce under the cheese layer, you get a tastier product IMO.
    Rule numero uno: No Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa John's or other corporate chains allowed. Only mom-n-pops using real products. My preferred vendors grind their own sausage and make their own sauce. Nothing comes frozen or in a bag.
    I have one shop that is a combo deli/pizzeria that stocks Boar's Head meats. IMO Boar's Head pepperoni is the best domestic pepperoni I have had. It comes in large 3 " diameter rolls and is cut to order any thinness or thickness you like, then used to make your pizza.
    Some famous Chicago area pizzerias have opened-up here in Arizona recently. I hope they are as good as they were when I lived there way back when.
    /pizza snobery
    start lunch plans
    Oh, no, no, no!! Goodies go over the cheese! The only thing that goes under, is the fresh minced garlic.

Outside of New York, the best you could get 20 years ago was Mike's Pizza in Honesdale PA. Hand tossed, brick oven, all the way traditional.

"said in the ultimate snobby voice' Pizza Hut, Domino's and Lil Ceasar's are not pizza.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Oh, no, no, no!! Goodies go over the cheese! The only thing that goes under, is the fresh minced garlic.

Outside of New York, the best you could get 20 years ago was Mike's Pizza in Honesdale PA. Hand tossed, brick oven, all the way traditional.

"said in the ultimate snobby voice' Pizza Hut, Domino's and Lil Ceasar's are not pizza.
    LOL. I have seen "real pizza" - on open carts on the streets of Naples, and in several other large southern European cities. It is slabs of cheap dough topped with cheese and sometimes a small sprinkling of meat, on which hordes of flies continually descend and rest.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-20-2019),DGUtley (06-19-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Totally like that approach, mom and pop pizza joints, I'm all for it.

Domino's isn't bad cheap chain store pizza though if you just want to $#@! something down.

Pizza Hut is garbage.

I prefer to make my own partly because pizza options in my town are severely limited and it's fun.

I like cracking 4 or 5 eggs on the pizza halfway through baking it. Runny yolks on pizza is sinful.
    my junk is ugly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (06-19-2019)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Totally like that approach, mom and pop pizza joints, I'm all for it.

Domino's isn't bad cheap chain store pizza though if you just want to $#@! something down.

Pizza Hut is garbage.

I prefer to make my own partly because pizza options in my town are severely limited and it's fun.

I like cracking 4 or 5 eggs on the pizza halfway through baking it. Runny yolks on pizza is sinful.
    I'll have to try the eggs thing on my next bacon,onion and green pepper pie.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    LOL. I have seen "real pizza" - on open carts on the streets of Naples, and in several other large southern European cities. It is slabs of cheap dough topped with cheese and sometimes a small sprinkling of meat, on which hordes of flies continually descend and rest.
    The flies are just extra protein.....
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Trumpster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 345x in 251 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After we figure out which mom & pop pizza joint makes the best pizza, the next step should be to find out which hospital performs the best by-pass procedure.

When I was 16 I used to take my girlfriend out for pizza at Frank's pizza in Bridgeport, CT. The pizzas were huge for only about 3 or 4 dollars. And they used all the best ingredients. Of course we could only eat about half of it and I would let her take the remaining half home to her parents. Those were the good ol' days when I didn't know or care very much about the health aspects of it.
    Last edited by Trumpster; 06-29-2019 at 10:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread