Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    That's great.

I wasn't part of that, nor was pretty much any living black person in this nation.

So why do I owe that black person money?

Explain the equality of that to me.
    I guess the explanation would be that the states that imposed Jim Crow laws benefited financially from laws that ensured that blacks were paid less than whites and that may well be quantifiable and could be translated into unearned income which from a simplistic point of view could have been invested in real estate. Using a real estate value multiplier you could determine the amount of money lost to families which would have otherwise been passed down to subsequent generations.

As someone who does not hail from the south and doesn't have any southern history, it should not be your debt to repay as your family did not enjoy that benefit.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-20-2019),Safety (06-19-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    Well, frankly, when you look at proportions of groups who receive government aid and race/ethnic based quotas.... we kind of already have some level of reparations....
    If people received that money that never had an ancestor that was a slave, then no it wasn’t. But I appreciate the effort you put into the tired welfare/reparation trope...not really.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I guess the explanation would be that the states that imposed Jim Crow laws benefited financially from laws that ensured that blacks were paid less than whites and that may well be quantifiable and could be translated into unearned income which from a simplistic point of view could have been invested in real estate. Using a real estate value multiplier you could determine the amount of money lost to families which would have otherwise been passed down to subsequent generations.

As someone who does not hail from the south and doesn't have any southern history, it should not be your debt to repay as your family did not enjoy that benefit.
    The north had slaves too.

That anyone "benefited"... so to counter that what I think is a weak argument would be with another weak argument in that, had these slaves not been enslaved and their issue, is living in the US better or worse than living in Africa, being eaten by rabid hippos and/or enslaved by other countries or Islamic terrorists?

Weak argument but valid, but better yet still a better challenge to your point.
    my junk is ugly

Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    "“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury...." --Alexander Fraser Tytler
    He makes the classic mistake of conflating the existence of voting with the practice of democracy.

While voting may often be a characteristic of democracy, its mere existence does not necessarily denote democracy.

On a small scale, among a tightly knit community of people, democracy is not only feasible but desirable, and fully consonant with human nature.

The biggest problem with "democracy" throughout history has been attempts to scale it up past its natural limits.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,263
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    Well, frankly, when you look at proportions of groups who receive government aid and race/ethnic based quotas.... we kind of already have some level of reparations....
    I beg to differ. The money that was withheld from past generations created an underemployed/undereducated class of citizens and undermined the family unit which has translated to a counter culture among those who have never escaped the damage that was done. Paying government aid today for the cultural destruction of families in some communities does not compensate for what they lost in inheritance. There are many studies that have concluded that poverty and lack of success in these communities is directly connected to lack of inheritance which has been identified as a major source of success in whites as a demographic. It's analogous to suggesting that welfare or disability income is really compensation for losing your ability to work.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The north had slaves too.

That anyone "benefited"... so to counter that what I think is a weak argument would be with another weak argument in that, had these slaves not been enslaved and their issue, is living in the US better or worse than living in Africa, being eaten by rabid hippos and/or enslaved by other countries or Islamic terrorists?

Weak argument but valid, but better yet still a better challenge to your point.
    However, I am not talking about reparations for slavery, but for discriminatory laws post slavery that have created a legacy of poverty. I don't think that reparations for slavery are really possible at this juncture.

Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (06-19-2019),Captdon (06-20-2019),Safety (06-19-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    However, I am not talking about reparations for slavery, but for discriminatory laws post slavery that have created a legacy of poverty. I don't think that reparations for slavery are really possible at this juncture.
    Where's my reparations for bad laws forcing me to pay for other people's $#@! I had nothing to do with?

Like the real estate bubble when I bought a modest house and every other flake on the planet over-extended and I had to bail them out? Or when I paid for my undergrad and MBA out of my pocket but suddenly I have to pay for loans that derps obtained on useless educations?

Can of worms. Good luck with that, I have a pitchfork handy if any of this goes anywhere but I don't think it will.
    my junk is ugly

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's my reparations for bad laws forcing me to pay for other people's $#@! I had nothing to do with?

Like the real estate bubble when I bought a modest house and every other flake on the planet over-extended and I had to bail them out? Or when I paid for my undergrad and MBA out of my pocket but suddenly I have to pay for loans that derps obtained on useless educations?

Can of worms. Good luck with that, I have a pitchfork handy if any of this goes anywhere but I don't think it will.
    I guess the difference is that you were not singled out for special treatment.

Mahatma Gandhi

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I guess the difference is that you were not singled out for special treatment.
    Nor did I single out anyone else for that matter.

So what "debt" do I owe?
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Sergeant Gleed's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,586 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reparations should be paid by the DNC to any black person who can prove they personally were enslaved by the Rodents before 1865.
    Freedom Requires Obstinance.

We the People DID NOT vote in a majority Rodent Congress, they stole it via election fraud.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant Gleed For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (06-20-2019)

+ Reply to Thread