Thanked 10,024x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plastic-Foam ban in NYC

Bloomberg Pushes for Plastic-Foam Ban in ‘State of the City’ - Bloomberg

New York Mayor
    Michael Bloomberg said he intends to use his final year in office to push for more recycling and electric vehicles, a curbside food-composting pilot program and a ban on plastic-foam food packaging.

In
    his final State of the City address today, the third- term mayor characterized his 11 years in office as a period in which he made the most-populous U.S. city healthier and more environmentally friendly.

He strode to the speaker’s platform to Jay-Z’s hip-hop anthem “Empire State of Mind,” after local dance groups entertained officials and business leaders at Barclays Center in downtown Brooklyn. The 19,000-seat arena completed last year is the venue for concerts, the National Basketball Association’s Brooklyn Nets, and in 2015 will be the home of National Hockey League’s New York Islanders.
    Bloomberg, an independent who turned 71 today, touted accomplishments including a record-low 419 homicides last year; a record 52 million tourist visits; an increase in life expectancy to 80.9 years, the longest ever; construction of 100,000 school seats; and a record 3.2 million private-industry jobs. The mayor is founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP.

Unfinished Business

“We have unfinished business and only 320 days to complete it,” he said. “Our goal is not to spend the year cutting ribbons. It’s much bigger than that: Our goal is to advance projects -- and start new ones -- that will keep our city on the right course for decades to come.”
    City Comptroller John Liu, who is planning to run for the Democratic mayoral nomination this year, said the mayor presented a “selective retelling of history” by omitting an unemployment rate above the nation’s, income disparity, legal claims against police and public schools from which only 20 percent obtain a college degree.
    Bloomberg’s 2009 success in changing city election law to permit him to serve a third term was “a great mistake” and an “act of hubris,” Liu said in a statement.
    In his speech, Bloomberg said a requirement that 20 percent of all newly constructed public parking spaces be outfitted to charge electric vehicles would create 10,000 such spots within seven years. The plan would need City Council approval. A pilot program to collect curbside food waste from Staten Island homes to use as compost for parks would expand citywide if successful, cutting down on the 1.2 million tons of scraps sent to landfills each year.

Targeting Foam

“One product that is virtually impossible to recycle and never bio-degrades” is plastic foam, said Bloomberg. “Something that we know is environmentally destructive and that may be hazardous to our health, that is costing taxpayers money and that we can easily do without, and is something that should go the way of lead paint.”
    The mayor referred to plastic foam by the brand name Styrofoam. Nancy Lamb, a spokeswoman for Styrofoam maker Dow Chemical Co., said the company’s product is used in insulation, though not in cups, trays and food containers.
    Plastic foam makes up an estimated 20,000 tons of the city’s annual waste, according to the mayor’s office. A ban on the substance, which also needs clearance from the City Council, would follow similar action by lawmakers in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle.

Health Initiatives

Since taking office in 2002, Bloomberg has pushed public- health programs, both as a philanthropist and as mayor in control of a $1.5 billion-a-year health department. He’s banned artery-clogging trans-fat food additives and workplace smoking; raised tobacco taxes; increased testing for HIV, cholesterol and blood pressure; required restaurant chains to post the calorie content of menu items; and limited sugary drinks in food-service establishments and arenas to 16 ounces.
    New York will make its largest purchase of electric automobiles this year, adding 50 to the municipal fleet, according to the mayor’s office. A pilot of two curbside chargers will allow drivers to fill batteries in as little as 30 minutes, compared with the current eight hours. One will be open to the public, the other to taxi drivers. Both will be in Manhattan.

Recycling Push

Last year, Bloomberg, a former Republican, unveiled a goal to double the city’s recycling rate to 30 percent by 2017. He plans to double to 2,000 the number of containers to allow the public to separate and dispose of glass, paper and plastic bottles. A new recycling plant set to open in Brooklyn will accept plastic items that weren’t previously recyclable, including salad containers and yogurt cups.
    “We’ll start by making recycling easier for everyone,” the mayor promised. “As we recycle more plastics, we’ll also begin recycling food waste.”
    The mayor vowed the city would bounce back from Hurricane Sandy, the so-called superstorm that caused 43 deaths in the city, flooded tunnels and subways, and damaged tens of thousands of homes.
    City beaches devastated by erosion and battered boardwalks will be open by Memorial Day weekend, he said. He promised to present a long-term plan by May to prevent extended power outages and ensure adequate gasoline supplies and hospital services. He also said would protect transportation facilities from future storms.

Connecting Students

The city would spend $1 million to support nonprofit groups to put 1,000 unemployed New Yorkers to work on hurricane relief and recovery projects, he said.
    The city intends to create schools this year “to connect students directly to college and work,” with high schools offering grades nine through 14, two years past traditional secondary education, specializing in occupations such as health care, energy and computer science, he said.
    To continue to develop the city as a tourist destination, the city will create low-cost youth hostels that could accommodate 175,000 visitors a year, creating more than 1,000 jobs, he said.
    The mayor is barred by law from seeking a fourth four-year term.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i think you all know where I probably stand on this. I think it's great. I know people probably see this as going too far but at least someone out there is trying to make a difference in such a giant city. There's something to be said about that I think.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:

oceanloverOH (02-15-2013)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Deadwood's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,752x in 1,198 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you see something and you don't agree with it....ban it.

If you can't ban it, kill it.

Leftist logic is real simple.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    If you see something and you don't agree with it....ban it.

If you can't ban it, kill it.

Leftist logic is real simple.
    You don't think any of that above sounds good and would benefit the city's health?

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,286
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    You don't think any of that above sounds good and would benefit the city's health?
    Personally as opposed to styrofoam containers, I would prefer recycled paper cartons (like egg cartons) with a minimal biodegradable plastic coating on the inside to prevent the container from becoming soggy. Needless to say, we can do away with styrofoam plates, cups etc. Styrofoam packing material can be replaced as well.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Chloe (02-14-2013),oceanloverOH (02-15-2013)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Personally as opposed to styrofoam containers, I would prefer recycled paper cartons (like egg cartons) with a minimal biodegradable plastic coating on the inside to prevent the container from becoming soggy. Needless to say, we can do away with styrofoam plates, cups etc. Styrofoam packing material can be replaced as well.
    Yeah the styrofoam cup and plate stuff is ridiculous in my opinion.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 1,648
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,331x in 14,539 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    i think you all know where I probably stand on this. I think it's great. I know people probably see this as going too far but at least someone out there is trying to make a difference in such a giant city. There's something to be said about that I think.
    The nice part is the next Mayor can get rid of all of his nonsence and start bringing business back into the city. And hopfully put some people back to work!

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,286
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo1234 View Post
    The nice part is the next Mayor can get rid of all of his nonsence and start bringing business back into the city. And hopfully put some people back to work!
    You might feel otherwise if your municipality starts ratcheting up the cost of garbage disposal. This has happened in other municipalities. If it's not recyclable, it will cost you to throw it away.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    oceanloverOH's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,745x in 1,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah! Those styrofoam peanuts used for packing are the WORST. I ordered a small casserole dish online....when the box arrived, it was big enough for 10 casserole dishes, and the dish was buried under at least 10 inches of styrofoam peanuts on all sides (mind you, I PAID quite a bit for shipping so it would arrive in one piece, but that was ridiculous!) Other items i have received in the mail were packed with long strips of air-inflated pods made of a thin balloon-like material. Now THAT made sense to me. I just stuck all the "pods" with a knife to deflate them, and the entire wad of packing material collapsed to a little bigger than grapefruit size. Bravo for the mayor of NYC; at least SOMEBODY is trying to do something about plastic foam, it's out of control.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oceanloverOH For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 1,648
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,331x in 14,539 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might feel otherwise if your municipality starts ratcheting up the cost of garbage disposal. This has happened in other municipalities. If it's not recyclable, it will cost you to throw it away.
    In the summer in MI weather you recycle your garbage or not, it is recycled, they employ kids at the major dumps to go through and recycle the trash. And I have no problem with rates going up, but it is ot becaues you have more trash, it is because they make more money if you pre sort if for them and fuel cost a going through the roof.

Besides when it comse to energy, you are all for "the pricees must necessarily skyrocket" as the President puts it, so whay are you against prices skyrocketing here, it seams to me that this would ahcve the same effect on the use of disposable items.

What I am igainst in both cases is letting anything other than the market, be used to try and alter the choices that people have?

+ Reply to Thread