Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 677x in 530 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hollywood and guns

At one time Hollywoods portrayal of firearms and who used them and how was fairly accurate.
    Now adays its sad.

I was watching die hard 2 and saw a scene where bruce wilis was telling the head of air force police how the bad guy he shot was armed with a glock 7 made of porcelain and how it couldnt be picked up on x ray and cost more than he made in a month. None of that is true not one word of it.

Then you have hollywood showing bad guy after bad guy armed with maching guns of all types. Thats just a big lie and not true.its not just rare to see a maching gun used in a crime its super rare.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bulletbob For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (06-25-2019)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    zachroidott's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 551x in 448 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, movies.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,514
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,757x in 9,654 Posts
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
    At one time Hollywoods portrayal of firearms and who used them and how was fairly accurate.
    Now adays its sad.

I was watching die hard 2 and saw a scene where bruce wilis was telling the head of air force police how the bad guy he shot was armed with a glock 7 made of porcelain and how it couldnt be picked up on x ray and cost more than he made in a month. None of that is true not one word of it.

Then you have hollywood showing bad guy after bad guy armed with maching guns of all types. Thats just a big lie and not true.its not just rare to see a maching gun used in a crime its super rare.
    Well they may have an agenda, but there main agenda is sales. Almost all of what they portray is dramatized or flat out faked. My wife is a nurse and hates it when they do CPR on a bed on TV or in a movie. Too much give, it wouldn't work. I have a counseling background and realize that deeply personal therapy is not a spectator sport such as it is on Dr. Phil and other shows, or a two session cure like it is in the movies.
    I suspect that whatever your profession , if it were to be portrayed on screen you'd find holes in the way it was portrayed. I doubt the lawyers on the board are always defending innocents in dramatic courtroom battles, and I know that ER docs don't stay by your side for your whole stay in the department.
    I've seen some bed hopping at my places of employment, but certainly not as much as is on TV. We pay to escape reality not watch more of it than we are already living.

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate some degree of realism in my shows, but seldom find it. Like when the monster gator just keeps on eating people even when it has to be full!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-25-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Bremerton Washington or Sayulita Mexico depending on the time of year.
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 36,577x in 27,341 Posts
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now adays its sad.

It's called fiction. Most people recognize fiction when they see it.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,462x in 7,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now adays its sad.
    It was always bad. There have been very few movies in which the use of firearms were accurately depicted.

Of course, on the other end of the spectrum is "John Wick", in which Keanu Reeves displays a high level of proficiency in modern gun handling technique.
    "All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803). "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda Vs. Arizona, 384 US 436 p. 491.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    bulletbob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    It's called fiction. Most people recognize fiction when they see it.
    Yes many do but many get it in their head that in real life anyone can get a machine.
    Recently I asked a neighbor if they wanted to go shooting ar15s. They asked if that was a machine gun.he is a school teacher.many liberals dont know

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    rcfieldz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 640x in 521 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce Willis...Die Hard...lol
    vitiligo

Choose Life

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,280
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,687x in 5,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In 'N.C.I.S.' and all its spinoffs, the feds have automatic weapons, and so usually do the bad guys...but there seems to be a fantastic disparity between either the marksmanship of the two groups or the accuracy of their weapons. The bad guys can be firing continuously for five straight minutes and not so much as put a scratch on one of the agents, even though the latter are jumping around and running from place to place in dramatic fashion - but with every other short burst an agent lays down another spy, saboteur or terrorist bites the dust. It's inspiring!

Most films are pretty much more of the same, although in all fairness, John Wick does catch a bullet every so often. (Of course he then goes on to kick butt and perform martial arts miracles for the next hour without any outward sign that anything is amiss.) I watched Twelve Strong yesterday, and in one scene the main hero character is in a firefight with Al Qaeda soldiers, and he manages to blow away what seems like a couple of dozen of them, all firing automatic weapons at him, while standing out in the open. At one point, he even turns his head to contemplate a fallen comrade for a good five seconds, and still manages not to get shot.
    "It is a foolish man who believes that he possesses all of the answers unless he is absolutely certain that he has heard all of the questions." - me

"All three of my kids are adopted, and I'm always telling them, 'Don't ever get high and sign things'." - Paula Poundstone

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 937x in 580 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now adays its sad.

My longtime #1 favorite was when Archie Bunker bought a Luger for $20.....Classic Hollywood Even in the 60's they never went for that.

My Number 2 favorite was Tom Barringer in Sniper 2 extolling the virtues of the German Mauser he was carrying and all the time it was a Mosin Nagant Russian rifle.

I could go on for another hour.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    bulletbob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged