User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 70-year-old retiree who became America’s worst counterfeiter

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,583x in 25,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post The 70-year-old retiree who became America’s worst counterfeiter

The 70-year-old retiree who became America’s worst counterfeiter. - How a mystery man produced thousands of the ugliest counterfeit $1 bills ever made — and eluded federal agents for more than a decade.

In 1938, a New York cigar shop owner went to the bank to cash his daily profits. As the teller sifted through the haul, she spotted an unusual $1 bill. It felt like cheap paper in her hands, the lettering was askew, and George Washington looked more like an animated corpse than a noble head of state. It was, no doubt, the worst counterfeit she’d seen in all her years. The bill was sent to the United States Secret Service. Soon, thousands more just like it came pouring in, each more abysmal than the last. For 10 years, agents searched far and wide for the source, launching the most extensive (and expensive) counterfeit investigation in American history. The culprit was deemed to be “the most successful counterfeiter of modern times” — a mastermind.But the bills were made by no master: They were the work of a 73-year-old junk collector.

https://thehustle.co/worst-counterfe...istory-mr-880/

counterfei.gif
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-28-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the bills were that bad, I have to wonder why anyone accepted them. I don't look closely at money I put in my pocket as a rule, but if a bill felt odd, I probably would.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,373x in 94,868 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to try a case in the Army on counter-fitting. The Secret Service found out about it somehow (I don't know how) and sent some agents to Korea to investigate. They laughed when they saw the bills.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (06-28-2019)

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The counterfeits being passed now are quite often 'washes' - $1 bills being washed and reprinted as $20's, $50's and up. They've gotten really good at it.

Some other's however, are so blatant that we hold the employee who accepted it responsible for it (ie, write up) if we can track it. Since the majority of our sales are via credit card or debit card now, it's not hard to pinpoint when a $50 was transacted.

I guess that is one benefit to credit cards, even though we have our issues with fraud on those too.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Lummy (06-28-2019),Peter1469 (06-28-2019)

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,775x in 2,258 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    The counterfeits being passed now are quite often 'washes' - $1 bills being washed and reprinted as $20's, $50's and up. They've gotten really good at it.

Some other's however, are so blatant that we hold the employee who accepted it responsible for it (ie, write up) if we can track it. Since the majority of our sales are via credit card or debit card now, it's not hard to pinpoint when a $50 was transacted.

I guess that is one benefit to credit cards, even though we have our issues with fraud on those too.
    There was a gang operating up and down the East Coast, that was washing one dollar bills and printing fives on top, I mean who's going to check a five? But when someone pays for a five hundred dollar item with a stack of fives? Can you say alarm bells? I think that was why they got busted in the first place, incidentally they were taken down at the mall I was working at the time...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (06-28-2019)

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Linux's Avatar Junior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 35x in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't US ones kind of a big investment? Wouldn't Venezuelan Bolivars make more sense to wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux View Post
    Aren't US ones kind of a big investment? Wouldn't Venezuelan Bolivars make more sense to wash?
    I actually don't know if it's the same paper, ie, reaction to the counterfeit pens, but since the Venezuelan Bolivar is only worth the paper it's printed on, the answer would be yes.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

+ Reply to Thread