Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The idea of liberty of conscience from Tertullian and others came before those wars, and the idea came to fruition after with the likes of Roger Williams, whose ideas Jefferson cribbed in his letter to the Danbury Baptists about a wall of separation. That wall aims to keep the government out of religion, thus religious freedom.

Heed your own advice, son. And thanks for the ad hom, Mr Illogic.
    Liberty of conscience is a part of the right to pursue your happiness. It is an individual right.

I think it was important to keep religion out of government. Government and religion, chained together form the twin pillars of unbearable tyranny. It is the individual that bears the burdens of that united tyranny.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Liberty of conscience is a part of the right to pursue your happiness. It is an individual right.

I think it was important to keep religion out of government. Government and religion, chained together form the twin pillars of unbearable tyranny. It is the individual that bears the burdens of that united tyranny.

Historically, it precedes the pursuit of happiness which actually derives from property rights.

One can look at religion as a relation with God or look at its communal aspects but it is in no way individual.

The Constitution guarantees no religious test, and that the government will not intrude on religion or form a state religion. It certainly doesn't aim to keep the religious out of the government.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Historically, it precedes the pursuit of happiness which actually derives from property rights.
    Really? Utter nonsense. Individuals have been thinking for a very long time. And individuals have been pursuing happiness for as long as they have been...
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can look at religion as a relation with God or look at its communal aspects but it is in no way individual.
    I see. So in the Christian theology individuals are not saved as individuals? Fascinating. Who accepts God's gift if not the individual?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Constitution guarantees no religious test, and that the government will not intrude on religion or form a state religion. It certainly doesn't aim to keep the religious out of the government.
    I made no mention of the religious.

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Really? Utter nonsense. Individuals have been thinking for a very long time. And individuals have been pursuing happiness for as long as they have been...

Now you confuse thinking with conscience.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I see. So in the Christian theology individuals are not saved as individuals? Fascinating. Who accepts God's gift if not the individual?
    They are, I believe, saved in their relationship with God. That's what I said, "One can look at religion as a relation with God." How can a relationship be individual? You've got words all twisted out of sense.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I made no mention of the religious.

The religious naturally bring their religion with them into government.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you confuse thinking with conscience.
    Can one experience a conscience without thinking? Of course not.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are, I believe, saved in their relationship with God. That's what I said, "One can look at religion as a relation with God." How can a relationship be individual? You've got words all twisted out of sense.
    Individuals have relationships. I see this whole existence thing is still a conundrum for you.

+ Reply to Thread