User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: The Early Church & the Origins of Religious Liberty

  1. #51
    Points: 10,406, Level: 24
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    602
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,060
    Points
    10,406
    Level
    24
    Thanks Given
    461
    Thanked 592x in 451 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
    Right: you're too weak to do anything to try and bolster your own argument or try and disprove a counter argument of fact.

    What a riot.

  2. #52
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Right: you're too weak to do anything to try and bolster your own argument or try and disprove a counter argument of fact.

    What a riot.
    Fact:

    Tertullian, a North African Christian writer of the early third century, was the first to argue that because religious faith is an inward disposition of the mind and heart, it cannot be coerced by external forces. The Church Father writes:

    It is only just and a privilege inherent in human nature that every person should be able to worship according to his own convictions; the religious practice of one person neither harms nor helps another. It is not part of religion to coerce religious practice, for it is by choice not coercion that we should be led to religion.

    Counterfact:

    Nothing. Jet, you have presented absolutely no counterfact. Until you do, stop pretending.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  3. #53
    Points: 10,406, Level: 24
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    602
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,060
    Points
    10,406
    Level
    24
    Thanks Given
    461
    Thanked 592x in 451 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Fact:




    Counterfact:

    Nothing. Jet, you have presented absolutely no counterfact. Until you do, stop pretending.
    Your ignorance is boundless: HE may have written that, but it's not true in fact is it. Egyptians wrote about "the freedom of the soul", [i]which would be much earlier wouldn't it. Sumerians wrote about "freedom" as well, which would be still earlier wouldn't it. Have you looked up "Ziggurats" ? Of course you haven't.

    Proselytizing your psychological framing as a vacuum is stupid. Particularly when your psychological framing has failed throughout human history.

    Start here for the proof https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/14...-christianity/

    Read a book junior; it'll help.

  4. #54
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Your ignorance is boundless: HE may have written that, but it's not true in fact is it. Egyptians wrote about "the freedom of the soul", [i]which would be much earlier wouldn't it. Sumerians wrote about "freedom" as well, which would be still earlier wouldn't it. Have you looked up "Ziggurats" ? Of course you haven't.

    Proselytizing your psychological framing as a vacuum is stupid. Particularly when your psychological framing has failed throughout human history.

    Start here for the proof https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/14...-christianity/

    Read a book junior; it'll help.

    Tertullian wrote that. It is a fact.

    You claim "Egyptians wrote about 'the freedom of the soul' ..." but offer no factual evidence. Thus, no counterfact. Just a vague claim. And again off topic. Soul is the spirit of a person while conscience is one's moral sense. Sumarians wrote of liberty, yes, but not liberty of conscience. Ziggurats were places of worship.


    I'm not proselytizing as I'm an atheist.

    And thanks for the ad hom. If you had an argument you wouldn't have to resort to fallacies.
    Last edited by Chris; 07-10-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  5. #55
    Points: 10,406, Level: 24
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    602
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,060
    Points
    10,406
    Level
    24
    Thanks Given
    461
    Thanked 592x in 451 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Tertullian wrote that. It is a fact.

    You claim "Egyptians wrote about 'the freedom of the soul' ..." but offer no factual evidence. Thus, no counterfact. Just a vague claim.


    I'm not proselytizing as I'm an atheist.

    And thanks for the ad hom. If you had an argument you wouldn't have to resort to fallacies.
    Start here junior: https://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...13335&partId=1

    And - you are proselytizing.

  6. #56
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Start here junior: https://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...13335&partId=1

    And - you are proselytizing.

    Nothing there about liberty of conscience, Three Estates.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  7. #57
    Points: 10,406, Level: 24
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    602
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,060
    Points
    10,406
    Level
    24
    Thanks Given
    461
    Thanked 592x in 451 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Nothing there about liberty of conscience, Three Estates.
    God you're thick headed. We're not IN France are we.

    You're on your own junior.

  8. #58
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    God you're thick headed. We're not IN France are we.

    You're on your own junior.

    Don't let the door hit you on your way out for the second time.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  9. #59
    Points: 10,406, Level: 24
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredSocial10000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    602
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,060
    Points
    10,406
    Level
    24
    Thanks Given
    461
    Thanked 592x in 451 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Don't let the door hit you on your way out for the second time.
    YOU just collapsed again.

    You can't get anything right.

  10. #60
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    YOU just collapsed again.

    You can't get anything right.

    Back again? Still no counterfactuals?
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO