User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: It is time for a new games machine

  1. #1
    Points: 127,295, Level: 86
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    289024
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    59,496
    Points
    127,295
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    45,529
    Thanked 20,388x in 15,657 Posts
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    It is time for a new games machine

    I have not purchased a games machine for a couple of years. So it is time.

    Usually I pour over dozens of reviews, consider the trade-offs and then make my selection.

    I play World of Warcraft and use Oculus Rift.

    Some of you have much better computer knowledge than I do. What do you recommend for a games machine that will last for the next two years?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.


    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

  2. #2
    Points: 101,753, Level: 77
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178007
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    33,111
    Points
    101,753
    Level
    77
    Thanks Given
    6,286
    Thanked 9,468x in 6,936 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I have not purchased a games machine for a couple of years. So it is time.

    Usually I pour over dozens of reviews, consider the trade-offs and then make my selection.

    I play World of Warcraft and use Oculus Rift.

    Some of you have much better computer knowledge than I do. What do you recommend for a games machine that will last for the next two years?
    I wouldn't buy mainstream. I'd find a reputable builder who will do it for 1/3rd of the cost.

    Then it's about performance. For WoW you just need enough graphics power to not slow you down. Your real beneficiary for WoW is going to be your internet speed.

    Same with Oculus if you're playing online. Oculus will require more graphics compute which means a better graphics card but you certainly don't need something like the NVIDIA Tesla P100 costing about $11K for a GPU.

    You just take your requirements to your local PC shop. Tell them the games you want to play. Get a 500GB Flash Drive for your online games and a 1-2TB SATA drive for everything else like your pictures, videos, etc.

    For what it sounds like you shouldn't have to drop more than $1,200-$1,300.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  3. #3
    Points: 127,295, Level: 86
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    289024
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    59,496
    Points
    127,295
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    45,529
    Thanked 20,388x in 15,657 Posts
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    I wouldn't buy mainstream. I'd find a reputable builder who will do it for 1/3rd of the cost.

    Then it's about performance. For WoW you just need enough graphics power to not slow you down. Your real beneficiary for WoW is going to be your internet speed.

    Same with Oculus if you're playing online. Oculus will require more graphics compute which means a better graphics card but you certainly don't need something like the NVIDIA Tesla P100 costing about $11K for a GPU.

    You just take your requirements to your local PC shop. Tell them the games you want to play. Get a 500GB Flash Drive for your online games and a 1-2TB SATA drive for everything else like your pictures, videos, etc.

    For what it sounds like you shouldn't have to drop more than $1,200-$1,300.
    I typically spend $2500-$3000.

    I have two Synology NAS (newest is a DS-918) for all of my books, notes, movies (I no longer use DVD players with my TVs) and even pictures. I run applications on my machines. I use two NAS on two separate circuits. That gives me two complete records of all my research. I also burn completed books with all of my notes to two DVDs.

    I plan to try some of the newest games in the coming year. I have two books to complete first.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.


    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

  4. #4

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 323,034, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    330654
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    56,476
    Points
    323,034
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    4,090
    Thanked 9,856x in 6,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I have not purchased a games machine for a couple of years. So it is time. Usually I pour over dozens of reviews, consider the trade-offs and then make my selection. I play World of Warcraft and use Oculus Rift. Some of you have much better computer knowledge than I do. What do you recommend for a games machine that will last for the next two years?
    This is an excellent company if I didnt have my friend and myself to build a computer, I would buy from digital storm Let me say this, the computer I have right now is 4 yrs old, I play wow and this puter is still fast as hell and does everything I need it to do and more. You dont need a superfast computer to run world of warcraft. Memory and video are very important aspects


    I have one of the original i7s processors 6700 its overclocked, I have 32 gig of memory and a 1080GTXOC vid card. SSD drives speed your computer up hugely over regular disk hard drives. SSDs are now very reliable and ive been running 3 two in my computer and 1 in my wifes for over 2 yrs.

    Dont buy garbage SSDs Samsung Pro is one of the best
    Last edited by Common; 07-02-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  5. #5
    Points: 101,753, Level: 77
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178007
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    33,111
    Points
    101,753
    Level
    77
    Thanks Given
    6,286
    Thanked 9,468x in 6,936 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I typically spend $2500-$3000.

    I have two Synology NAS (newest is a DS-918) for all of my books, notes, movies (I no longer use DVD players with my TVs) and even pictures. I run applications on my machines. I use two NAS on two separate circuits. That gives me two complete records of all my research. I also burn completed books with all of my notes to two DVDs.

    I plan to try some of the newest games in the coming year. I have two books to complete first.
    You will want to use a Native Data Store for things working on your computer that are not games. External drives are great for backup and if you're happy with Network Attaching it you should be fine but a 1TB SATA backing a 500GB SSD is common and will cost you $80.

    $2,500-$3,000 sounds about right if you're going mainstream. I'm just saying you can save a ton (50-60%) by having your local PC shop build one for you. Plus they will do any and all support on it, manage your warranties if anything fails and it promotes small business.

    Your call.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  6. #6
    Points: 53,257, Level: 56
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,193
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    192114
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23,946
    Points
    53,257
    Level
    56
    Thanks Given
    4,478
    Thanked 15,309x in 9,566 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really play many games on my computer besides ancient PS1 RPGs I get on steam, but I really doubt you'd need a high powered computer if all you're gonna do is play WoW.

  7. #7
    Points: 127,295, Level: 86
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    289024
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    59,496
    Points
    127,295
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    45,529
    Thanked 20,388x in 15,657 Posts
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    This is an excellent company if I didnt have my friend and myself to build a computer, I would buy from digital storm Let me say this, the computer I have right now is 4 yrs old, I play wow and this puter is still fast as hell and does everything I need it to do and more. You dont need a superfast computer to run world of warcraft. Memory and video are very important aspects


    I have one of the original i7s processors 6700 its overclocked, I have 32 gig of memory and a 1080GTXOC vid card. SSD drives speed your computer up hugely over regular disk hard drives. SSDs are now very reliable and ive been running 3 two in my computer and 1 in my wifes for over 2 yrs.

    Dont buy garbage SSDs Samsung Pro is one of the best
    Both of my important machines use SSDs for the OS and Apps. I have one small spindle drive in each. But they are seldom used. Everything is mapped to the two NAS. I have all my music on one, plus the books/notes backup.

    One machine has a 1070. The other has a 1080.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.


    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

  8. #8
    Points: 127,295, Level: 86
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    289024
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    59,496
    Points
    127,295
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    45,529
    Thanked 20,388x in 15,657 Posts
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    You will want to use a Native Data Store for things working on your computer that are not games. External drives are great for backup and if you're happy with Network Attaching it you should be fine but a 1TB SATA backing a 500GB SSD is common and will cost you $80.

    $2,500-$3,000 sounds about right if you're going mainstream. I'm just saying you can save a ton (50-60%) by having your local PC shop build one for you. Plus they will do any and all support on it, manage your warranties if anything fails and it promotes small business.

    Your call.
    I chatted with a local company I used for a repair. They are going to give me two quotes in an hour.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.


    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

    Private Pickle (07-02-2019)

  10. #9
    Points: 101,753, Level: 77
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178007
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    33,111
    Points
    101,753
    Level
    77
    Thanks Given
    6,286
    Thanked 9,468x in 6,936 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    I don't really play many games on my computer besides ancient PS1 RPGs I get on steam, but I really doubt you'd need a high powered computer if all you're gonna do is play WoW.
    Correct. I would say Oculus is the bigger concern.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

    MisterVeritis (07-02-2019)

  12. #10
    Points: 101,753, Level: 77
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178007
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    33,111
    Points
    101,753
    Level
    77
    Thanks Given
    6,286
    Thanked 9,468x in 6,936 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I chatted with a local company I used for a repair. They are going to give me two quotes in an hour.
    Let me know how it works out.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO