User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Just got my new computer .....

  1. #1
    Points: 127,159, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 2,091
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    862096
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    52,181
    Points
    127,159
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    4,654
    Thanked 4,358x in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Just got my new computer .....

    It an HP Envy 17.3" Touchscreen Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i7-8565U/1TB HDD/128GB SSD/12GB RAM/Windows 10). It's not a gaming computer per se but it has a NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics card, so it is capable of gaming. The display is amazing. It's so much crisper than my 5-year-old Gateway and it has Bang & Olufsen speakers.

    Now I just have to get used to Windows 10. The first thing I noticed was the absence of the familiar "Computer" and "Control Panel". Fortunately they still existed under Windows System and could be pinned to start, which is currently full of default garbage that I will shortly be editing.

    One good thing is that I was able to sync my chrome account, so I have all my favorites and stored passwords.

    Any tips and tricks for Windows 10?
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (07-04-2019),Captdon (07-05-2019),FindersKeepers (07-05-2019),MisterVeritis (07-04-2019),Peter1469 (07-04-2019),pjohns (07-12-2019)

  3. #2
    Original Ranter
    Points: 280,487, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    771915
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    77,573
    Points
    280,487
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    28,009
    Thanked 38,059x in 25,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    995 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Windows 10 is crap, hooray for monopolies...

    Sounds like a nice laptop though, I need to get one soon, mine's all busted up.
    my junk is ugly

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (07-04-2019),pjohns (07-12-2019)

  5. #3
    Points: 127,159, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 2,091
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    862096
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    52,181
    Points
    127,159
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    4,654
    Thanked 4,358x in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Windows 10 is crap, hooray for monopolies...

    Sounds like a nice laptop though, I need to get one soon, mine's all busted up.
    I bought this one with credit card points, so it was basically free.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    pjohns (07-12-2019)

  7. #4
    Original Ranter
    Points: 280,487, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    771915
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    77,573
    Points
    280,487
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    28,009
    Thanked 38,059x in 25,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    995 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I bought this one with credit card points, so it was basically free.
    Nice!

    What was the retail price if you don't mind me asking? I'm kind of semi-looking around for one soon. All but one of my USB ports stopped working and fixing $#@! with new gadgets is impossible anymore. And my screen bracket is cracked, badly. Closing it is very anxiety driven.

    It's 4 years old, that's about as long as you can get out of a laptop anymore roughly.
    my junk is ugly

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (07-04-2019)

  9. #5
    Points: 132,265, Level: 87
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    289980
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Madison
    Posts
    61,608
    Points
    132,265
    Level
    87
    Thanks Given
    48,303
    Thanked 21,347x in 16,349 Posts
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Windows 10 is crap, hooray for monopolies...

    Sounds like a nice laptop though, I need to get one soon, mine's all busted up.
    Microsoft has no monopoly. Choose Linux if you wish.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.


    I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (07-05-2019),pjohns (07-12-2019)

  11. #6
    Original Ranter
    Points: 538,012, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    428670
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    161,169
    Points
    538,012
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    94,938
    Thanked 79,650x in 53,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    2234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    It an HP Envy 17.3" Touchscreen Laptop - Silver (Intel Core i7-8565U/1TB HDD/128GB SSD/12GB RAM/Windows 10). It's not a gaming computer per se but it has a NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics card, so it is capable of gaming. The display is amazing. It's so much crisper than my 5-year-old Gateway and it has Bang & Olufsen speakers.

    Now I just have to get used to Windows 10. The first thing I noticed was the absence of the familiar "Computer" and "Control Panel". Fortunately they still existed under Windows System and could be pinned to start, which is currently full of default garbage that I will shortly be editing.

    One good thing is that I was able to sync my chrome account, so I have all my favorites and stored passwords.

    Any tips and tricks for Windows 10?
    I believe everything that was under Control Panel in prior versions is in Settings, which is the second icon
    on the left from the bottom. Right above shut down (or restart / sleep). Play around with it. You'll figure it out.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    pjohns (07-12-2019)

  13. #7
    Points: 16,828, Level: 31
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    2710
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6,915
    Points
    16,828
    Level
    31
    Thanks Given
    1,855
    Thanked 2,709x in 2,025 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HP equipment is top flight. I've had the same HP printer for about 12 years. Before that, I went through 3-4 different brands of printers in as many years.
    Congratulations to our President Trump on taking out top ISIS terrorist Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

    pjohns (07-12-2019)

  15. #8
    Points: 127,159, Level: 86
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 2,091
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    862096
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    52,181
    Points
    127,159
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    4,654
    Thanked 4,358x in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Nice!

    What was the retail price if you don't mind me asking? I'm kind of semi-looking around for one soon. All but one of my USB ports stopped working and fixing $#@! with new gadgets is impossible anymore. And my screen bracket is cracked, badly. Closing it is very anxiety driven.

    It's 4 years old, that's about as long as you can get out of a laptop anymore roughly.
    On sale at HP for $849.99 reg $1,149.99.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (07-04-2019),pjohns (07-12-2019)

  17. #9
    Points: 462,506, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397465
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,038
    Points
    462,506
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,545
    Thanked 45,040x in 33,131 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I believe everything that was under Control Panel in prior versions is in Settings, which is the second icon
    on the left from the bottom. Right above shut down (or restart / sleep). Play around with it. You'll figure it out.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    jet57 (07-04-2019),Peter1469 (07-04-2019),pjohns (07-12-2019)

  19. #10
    Original Ranter
    Points: 538,012, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    428670
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    161,169
    Points
    538,012
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    94,938
    Thanked 79,650x in 53,726 Posts
    Mentioned
    2234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That's it!
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (07-04-2019)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO