Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,586x in 55,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Agreed. But I think sports will change dramatically in the next few decades. the golden goose killers have already begun the process. Whomever first said "money will ruin sports" was right. Although i doubt they knew how very much money that would take.
    I don't feel that young people are as into the game as my generation was. Games, specially for those of us who don't live within one day driving distance have become too expensive for most to take kids to very often. There is now most certainly an "I" in team. Pitchers can't complete a game. Quarterbacks have to play by different rules than the rest of the kids. Hell kids don't even play in the sand lot anymore.
    Video games and or AI might be the next step.
    There's no evidence to suggest that money will ruin sports. People said that back when the highest paid NBA player made a million dollars a season.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,987
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,640x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    There's no evidence to suggest that money will ruin sports. People said that back when the highest paid NBA player made a million dollars a season.
    There is tons of evidence that it has been happening since even before that. It's not that it's going to happen. it IS happening.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,586x in 55,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    There is tons of evidence that it has been happening since even before that. It's not that it's going to happen. it IS happening.
    Professional sports is still growing. It’s spreading internationally. There’s no sign it’s in decline.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 2,237
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,261x in 12,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love the game and always will, but it is getting expensive. I have just now recovered enough to go see a few games at Chase Field this season, so I bought tickets for my son and me for July 20th. (I went a few weeks ago when the Yankees were in town - I will go see that team beaten regardless of how bad I feel - but my daughter took me to that game, so I didn't know what the tickets cost.) The Diamondbacks are giving deep discounts - 50% or more - for active duty and retired personnel for all games this season, which is great because I discovered that the regular price of the seats I normally get has more than doubled since last year. With the discount, I paid the old price.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,987
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,640x in 14,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Professional sports is still growing. It’s spreading internationally. There’s no sign it’s in decline.
    I see, you define "ruin" as making less money while I define it as many other things including selling out the purity of the game. But the money will go, eventually. Make ball parks too expensive for the average citizen to bring their kids to and the Golden Goose will die.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,620x in 25,162 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I love the game and always will, but it is getting expensive. I have just now recovered enough to go see a few games at Chase Field this season, so I bought tickets for my son and me for July 20th. (I went a few weeks ago when the Yankees were in town - I will go see that team beaten regardless of how bad I feel - but my daughter took me to that game, so I didn't know what the tickets cost.) The Diamondbacks are giving deep discounts - 50% or more - for active duty and retired personnel for all games this season, which is great because I discovered that the regular price of the seats I normally get has more than doubled since last year. With the discount, I paid the old price.
    Seat price doubled in a year? Wow. Our Indians tix (firm has a 1/4 season and it's a challenge to get rid of those - we used to have a full season and we ate a ton) are $49.99 per seat. Good seats but not great. The best we could get for a 1/4 plan.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

+ Reply to Thread