User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: 2019 All Star Game!

  1. #11
    Points: 217,007, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    269032
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    96,079
    Points
    217,007
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    11,036
    Thanked 38,015x in 28,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Agreed. But I think sports will change dramatically in the next few decades. the golden goose killers have already begun the process. Whomever first said "money will ruin sports" was right. Although i doubt they knew how very much money that would take.
    I don't feel that young people are as into the game as my generation was. Games, specially for those of us who don't live within one day driving distance have become too expensive for most to take kids to very often. There is now most certainly an "I" in team. Pitchers can't complete a game. Quarterbacks have to play by different rules than the rest of the kids. Hell kids don't even play in the sand lot anymore.
    Video games and or AI might be the next step.
    There's no evidence to suggest that money will ruin sports. People said that back when the highest paid NBA player made a million dollars a season.

  2. #12
    Points: 119,106, Level: 83
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    81028
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    40,122
    Points
    119,106
    Level
    83
    Thanks Given
    6,522
    Thanked 12,993x in 9,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    There's no evidence to suggest that money will ruin sports. People said that back when the highest paid NBA player made a million dollars a season.
    There is tons of evidence that it has been happening since even before that. It's not that it's going to happen. it IS happening.

  3. #13
    Points: 217,007, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    269032
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    96,079
    Points
    217,007
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    11,036
    Thanked 38,015x in 28,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    There is tons of evidence that it has been happening since even before that. It's not that it's going to happen. it IS happening.
    Professional sports is still growing. It’s spreading internationally. There’s no sign it’s in decline.

  4. #14
    Points: 34,616, Level: 45
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    304174
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    12,529
    Points
    34,616
    Level
    45
    Thanks Given
    2,190
    Thanked 10,278x in 5,921 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love the game and always will, but it is getting expensive. I have just now recovered enough to go see a few games at Chase Field this season, so I bought tickets for my son and me for July 20th. (I went a few weeks ago when the Yankees were in town - I will go see that team beaten regardless of how bad I feel - but my daughter took me to that game, so I didn't know what the tickets cost.) The Diamondbacks are giving deep discounts - 50% or more - for active duty and retired personnel for all games this season, which is great because I discovered that the regular price of the seats I normally get has more than doubled since last year. With the discount, I paid the old price.
    “Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most.”

    - attributed to Sitting Bull

    "I live by two words: tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go, and gratitude keeps me from being angry on the way." - Henry Winkler

  5. #15
    Points: 119,106, Level: 83
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    81028
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    40,122
    Points
    119,106
    Level
    83
    Thanks Given
    6,522
    Thanked 12,993x in 9,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Professional sports is still growing. It’s spreading internationally. There’s no sign it’s in decline.
    I see, you define "ruin" as making less money while I define it as many other things including selling out the purity of the game. But the money will go, eventually. Make ball parks too expensive for the average citizen to bring their kids to and the Golden Goose will die.

  6. #16

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 81,846, Level: 69
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteran
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    170069
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    19,928
    Points
    81,846
    Level
    69
    Thanks Given
    6,794
    Thanked 15,331x in 8,794 Posts
    Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I love the game and always will, but it is getting expensive. I have just now recovered enough to go see a few games at Chase Field this season, so I bought tickets for my son and me for July 20th. (I went a few weeks ago when the Yankees were in town - I will go see that team beaten regardless of how bad I feel - but my daughter took me to that game, so I didn't know what the tickets cost.) The Diamondbacks are giving deep discounts - 50% or more - for active duty and retired personnel for all games this season, which is great because I discovered that the regular price of the seats I normally get has more than doubled since last year. With the discount, I paid the old price.
    Seat price doubled in a year? Wow. Our Indians tix (firm has a 1/4 season and it's a challenge to get rid of those - we used to have a full season and we ate a ton) are $49.99 per seat. Good seats but not great. The best we could get for a 1/4 plan.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO