User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

  1. #11

    Original Ranter
    Points: 470,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    264476
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70,086
    Points
    470,765
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,300
    Thanked 20,320x in 14,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2720

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Media Critic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I just didn't appreciate Full Metal Jacket. They say it's a great war film.
    I thought it was good, nothing great. Platoon was better in my opinion, but it's been a while since I've seen either one.
    Platoon was an anti-war propaganda film but it was very well done. Gloria was a fun movie but it certainly isn't a great film.
    Yeah, and Platoon wasnt about the Marines either. Same with Apocalypse Now. It also was an Anti-War Movie. IMO it was a good movie. Course I am biased.
    They were both good movies but they were ideologically driven to a large extent. That's undeniable.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  2. #12
    Original Ranter
    Points: 83,174, Level: 70
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,676
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first Group
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7401
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    22,473
    Points
    83,174
    Level
    70
    Thanks Given
    4,582
    Thanked 2,499x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    I was just comparing Platoon and FMJ because I thought they were released around the same time. I didn't realize Platoon was a propaganda flick, I thought it was just saying it sucked being in the Vietnam War which I had no trouble believing as a kid. I think it was my first R movie actually , my friend's dad who was a Vietnam Vet took us because he thought it was important to see. Messed us up I think. When I saw it as an adult years later there did seem to be some heavy handed metaphors that weren't very subtle, but like I said I haven't seen either one in a long time. I'll probably watch them again soon now that this thread has reminded me of it.

  3. #13

    Original Ranter
    Points: 470,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    264476
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70,086
    Points
    470,765
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,300
    Thanked 20,320x in 14,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2720

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    I was just comparing Platoon and FMJ because I thought they were released around the same time. I didn't realize Platoon was a propaganda flick, I thought it was just saying it sucked being in the Vietnam War which I had no trouble believing as a kid. I think it was my first R movie actually , my friend's dad who was a Vietnam Vet took us because he thought it was important to see. Messed us up I think. When I saw it as an adult years later there did seem to be some heavy handed metaphors that weren't very subtle, but like I said I haven't seen either one in a long time. I'll probably watch them again soon now that this thread has reminded me of it.
    Don't get me wrong. Platoon is a very well made film. Very entertaining but very ideological.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  4. #14
    Original Ranter
    Points: 83,174, Level: 70
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,676
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first Group
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7401
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    22,473
    Points
    83,174
    Level
    70
    Thanks Given
    4,582
    Thanked 2,499x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    I was just comparing Platoon and FMJ because I thought they were released around the same time. I didn't realize Platoon was a propaganda flick, I thought it was just saying it sucked being in the Vietnam War which I had no trouble believing as a kid. I think it was my first R movie actually , my friend's dad who was a Vietnam Vet took us because he thought it was important to see. Messed us up I think. When I saw it as an adult years later there did seem to be some heavy handed metaphors that weren't very subtle, but like I said I haven't seen either one in a long time. I'll probably watch them again soon now that this thread has reminded me of it.
    Don't get me wrong. Platoon is a very well made film. Very entertaining but very ideological.
    That's cool. Any specifics?

  5. #15
    Original Ranter
    Points: 120,364, Level: 84
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 2,486
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7277
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    26,381
    Points
    120,364
    Level
    84
    Thanks Given
    4,411
    Thanked 2,859x in 2,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    104

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps



    Im not a Marine.....But I am Mightier than the Pen, who knows whats comin!
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  6. #16
    Original Ranter
    Points: 120,364, Level: 84
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 2,486
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7277
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    26,381
    Points
    120,364
    Level
    84
    Thanks Given
    4,411
    Thanked 2,859x in 2,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    104

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps



    1981 Marine Corp Commercial.....pretty plain.
    Don't only Practice your Art, but force your way into its Secrets, For it and Knowledge can Raise men to the Divine!!!!! Ludwig Van Beethoven ~

  7. #17

    Original Ranter
    Points: 470,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    264476
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70,086
    Points
    470,765
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,300
    Thanked 20,320x in 14,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2720

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    I was just comparing Platoon and FMJ because I thought they were released around the same time. I didn't realize Platoon was a propaganda flick, I thought it was just saying it sucked being in the Vietnam War which I had no trouble believing as a kid. I think it was my first R movie actually , my friend's dad who was a Vietnam Vet took us because he thought it was important to see. Messed us up I think. When I saw it as an adult years later there did seem to be some heavy handed metaphors that weren't very subtle, but like I said I haven't seen either one in a long time. I'll probably watch them again soon now that this thread has reminded me of it.
    Don't get me wrong. Platoon is a very well made film. Very entertaining but very ideological.
    That's cool. Any specifics?
    For example, the films portrays poor morale and a great deal of infighting among the troops but it takes place in 1967 when morale was high. I guess he chose 1967 because our involvement was at its height then or shortly thereafter. Morale only began to deteriorate after we had decided to leave. At that point the overall quality of the troops serving in Vietnam fell precipitously. No surprise. You weren't getting many volunteers anymore and anyone with the means to evade the draft did so.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  8. #18

    Original Ranter
    Points: 470,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    264476
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70,086
    Points
    470,765
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,300
    Thanked 20,320x in 14,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2720

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    I don't think it was a random decision to depict the war as it was in 1967. It was done on purpose.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


  9. #19
    Original Ranter
    Points: 83,174, Level: 70
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,676
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsYour first Group
    Conley's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    7401
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    22,473
    Points
    83,174
    Level
    70
    Thanks Given
    4,582
    Thanked 2,499x in 2,008 Posts
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    Interesting. I read it is based on Stone's own experiences in Vietnam and he no doubt played with the details. If he was unhappy over there then he probably projected his feelings on to his fellow soldiers both in real life and even more in the movie he made.

  10. #20

    Original Ranter
    Points: 470,765, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Unenlightened
    Karma
    264476
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70,086
    Points
    470,765
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,300
    Thanked 20,320x in 14,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    718 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2720

    Re: Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Conley View Post
    Interesting. I read it is based on Stone's own experiences in Vietnam and he no doubt played with the details. If he was unhappy over there then he probably projected his feelings on to his fellow soldiers both in real life and even more in the movie he made.
    Makes sense. Erich Marie Remarque did exactly that with All Quiet on the Western Front.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.


    ~Alain de Benoist


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Eminent Domain in the United States
    By Conley in forum U.S. Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
  2. United States Day of Rage Comes and Goes
    By Conley in forum The Latest Happenings
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 08:16 AM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 05:33 AM
  4. Red States Higher in Divorce Than Blue States
    By Pendragon in forum U.S. Politics
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 07:40 AM
  5. RAPPER BUYS HIMSELF 55 Million Dollar Birthday Gift.....
    By MMC in forum The Latest Happenings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO