Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    That's really the bottom line. Until conservatives are presented with a candidate that better serves their needs, they'll opt for Trump.
    We had sixteen other choices. We chose Candidate Trump. We were absolutely right to do so. The American economy is the best it has been in many decades.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-18-2019),FindersKeepers (07-17-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I think the opposite is true, that conservatives value religion, family, traditions, and other social institutions, and believe it is from these values that constitutions and rights derive. Of course, that's just my opinion and I know others define conservatism differently.
    I am a Constitutional Conservative. I am an athiest. Constitutional Conservatism derives from my individual rights. Among them is my right to self-government. The American Constitution, propr to FDR's counter-revolution was our best hope. Now we need to join together to claw back the powerfully centralized, anti-American government.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    So you can't be a Conservative unless you value religion? Interesting. Perhaps you mean value the freedom to be religious?
    In my opinion this is an understandable way to describe the individuals freedom of conscience.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,854
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,749x in 3,852 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, the level of "discourse" has come down but to blame Trump alone?
    These idiots on the left might want to search all the $#@! they called Bush and Chaney. Then get back to me. What they hate the most is they ran into a guy that said $#@! you back! I ain’t taking your $#@! anymore. You either main stream crooked ass press.

We like that!

Its about time.

Now all you whining little $#@!es crawl back into your holes.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    This is yet another example of the sort of careless posting that makes tPF such a minefield of non sequiturs and "huh? moments.

In my post I made no attempt to offer my definition of a "true conservative". Instead I adopted the one posted by 'roadmaster'.

Countryboy, there is entirely too much eager jumping by some on certain posters' contributions based not on what they have actually written, but on what someone expected them to write. Don't make that mistake - it just makes you appear foolish to anybody who is actually paying attention.

As for your characterization of me as a "hardcore left winger"...well, I'm just going to let that one lie. Anyone who has posted here for more than a few weeks should get a chuckle out of that assertion.

Ah but you did exactly that, exactly what you posted, engaged in defining a true conservative, a no true Scotsman fallacy.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-18-2019)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I value the social cohesion it brings to those who share faith and worship. And I value the transcendence even though at this time mine is more Epicurean than Christian.
    So you don't value religion. You value social cohesion. How can you value the transcendence if you're not religious?

I told you exactly how I value religion. What's your problem today?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I value the social cohesion it brings to those who share faith and worship. And I value the transcendence even though at this time mine is more Epicurean than Christian.
    Well religion only results in greater social cohesion within each sect. Not as a whole. Hence my statement.
    Good, now you understand how I value religion.

There's more to religion than Christianity. But I explained that as well.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    These idiots on the left might want to search all the $#@! they called Bush and Chaney. Then get back to me. What they hate the most is they ran into a guy that said $#@! you back! I ain’t taking your $#@! anymore. You either main stream crooked ass press.

We like that!

Its about time.

Now all you whining little $#@!es crawl back into your holes.

They ran into someone who stole their thunder on standing for the little guy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-18-2019)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,666
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,163x in 6,406 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    ...is here, enjoy it.

What is a "conservative"? You tell me. Lately it's a cheerleader with fluffy, snowflake boots and a MAGA hat.

Ask the NRA.

That SCOTUS is stocked for another generation or two is the only take-away from this administration. Oh, the Iran deal was nixed to spite Bammy, awesome.

Just wondering what happens this election, think that magic will double up? Who has not been alienated this term? Cheerleaders... er, voters I mean. 2 plus how many millions of votes short of a majority election last term?

Not sure about this, I'm guessing "conservatives" still hang their MAGA hat on Trump's hook and I'm thinking that's a disaster waiting to happen. I really could care less about all of you simple minded $#@!s but this is my existence on the line here.

I don't see it happening at this point.

Wall was a failure, not that I care about that, walls are stupid, just something for fearful old men to hide behind but when you can't pass an ACA retraction with a GOP controlled house and senate that pretty much tells you where the GOP is right now.

Enjoy your "freedoms" fools, you deserve it.
    Speaking of simple minded.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (07-18-2019)

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    roadmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,300x in 4,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    A true conservative wouldn't touch Trump with a ten-foot pole, then - a man whose God is a close tie between money and his own ego, whose Family is whichever woman he happens to be cheating on at the moment, and whose country, apparently, is either Russia or Israel. The true American conservatives were suckered into voting for a practiced conman, whom they believed stood for and supported their own interests and vision, and who at the same time appealed to the worst instincts and prejudices of the country's bigots and xenophobes.

Win or lose in 2020 - and hopefully that date is a good omen with regard to the nation's vision - Trump has managed to bring down, possibly for a very long time, the level of discourse, debate and public behavior by our nation's ostensible leaders. Unity and compromise in the face of virtually any problem has become less likely to impossible. The largely civil and formerly fine balance between the conflicting urges in our institutions of governance, between the liberal and conservative impulses - the very thing that has seen the United States of America through far worse threats and troubles than any faced today - has been poisoned, and lies gasping for breath.

That, ultimately, has been and will be the legacy of the Donald Trump presidency.

And that, at least on the subject of Donald Trump, is my final word.
    No conservative use to mean Christian Americans. We put Christ first and His laws, then family and country.

+ Reply to Thread