Members banned from this thread: Captain Obvious


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: 'Where have all the smokestacks gone?'

  1. #11
    Points: 124,661, Level: 85
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    861532
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    51,221
    Points
    124,661
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    4,037
    Thanked 3,792x in 2,597 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I don't know if it's starting, it's really complicated and most people I think living in a capitalist society are fat and happy, and ignorant - which all go hand in hand.

    I don't know what the alternative is also, I don't think socialism is. Or socialistic, there is no pure anything. Confusion, chaos, who knows but as long as the vast minority elite wealthy are in control it doesn't matter. Dogs will readily lap up table scraps.
    The nature of capitalism will continue to aggregate the bulk of all capital into the hands of the very few and wages will continue to stagnate. The shrinking middle class will disappear. The same economic factors that led to the French and Russian revolutions will eventually bring down capitalism. I don't know what will replace it.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (07-21-2019)

  3. #12
    Original Ranter
    Points: 280,278, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    771903
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    77,567
    Points
    280,278
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    27,983
    Thanked 38,047x in 25,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The nature of capitalism will continue to aggregate the bulk of all capital into the hands of the very few and wages will continue to stagnate. The shrinking middle class will disappear. The same economic factors that led to the French and Russian revolutions will eventually bring down capitalism. I don't know what will replace it.
    Right, don't disagree.

    Probably some smoke and mirrors that bewilders, history is full of this tactic.

    Nothing changes in this respect, the world is full of useful idiots so get yours now while you can. That's always my advice for people, especially the younger generations. Get it while you can, if you can and know that you're being played. The latter is the most important part that I know many/most won't ever realize.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (07-21-2019)

  5. #13
    Points: 124,661, Level: 85
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    861532
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    51,221
    Points
    124,661
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    4,037
    Thanked 3,792x in 2,597 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Pretty much nailed it.
    Capitalism could not exist without government. Ironically, when capitalism was invented, it was supposed to herald in an era of liberty, equality, fraternity and democracy. Instead it replaced monarchies with oligarchies. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (07-21-2019)

  7. #14
    Original Ranter
    Points: 280,278, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    771903
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    77,567
    Points
    280,278
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    27,983
    Thanked 38,047x in 25,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Capitalism could not exist without government. Ironically, when capitalism was invented, it was supposed to herald in an era of liberty, equality, fraternity and democracy. Instead it replaced monarchies with oligarchies. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Yep - same $#@!, different label.

    No $#@!ing doubt about that but the key there is, just like Nazi Germany, you need public support. Lots of propaganda, lots of ignorance and it works like a charm.

    Exploitation and gain. It's how the world works since day one.

  8. #15
    Points: 456,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    396800
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    148,673
    Points
    456,288
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,284
    Thanked 44,373x in 32,672 Posts
    Mentioned
    1715 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Great, and off-topic we go. The word capitalism just seems to trigger Pavlovian responses from some.

    The topic is how pollution has been remedied by capitalism and not government regulation, just as it will be necessary to deal with climate change.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    MisterVeritis (08-06-2019),Peter1469 (07-22-2019)

  10. #16
    Original Ranter
    Points: 280,278, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    771903
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    77,567
    Points
    280,278
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    27,983
    Thanked 38,047x in 25,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  11. #17
    Points: 124,661, Level: 85
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    861532
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    51,221
    Points
    124,661
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    4,037
    Thanked 3,792x in 2,597 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Yep - same $#@!, different label.

    No $#@!ing doubt about that but the key there is, just like Nazi Germany, you need public support. Lots of propaganda, lots of ignorance and it works like a charm.

    Exploitation and gain. It's how the world works since day one.
    Indeed it is. People overlook the fact that the government (all levels) supports the unemployment of citizens by favoring big corporations which have converted a significant proportion of long-term employment into contract work and temp work while trying to somehow automate as many jobs as possible, assuming that they haven't moved it to some offshore location. Productivity is outpacing wages:



    https://tcf.org/content/commentary/g...rker/?agreed=1


    Yet some would have you believe that anyone but the top 1% is really realizing income growth nevermind income stability. I worry about the kids today.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (07-21-2019)

  13. #18
    Points: 124,661, Level: 85
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 1,389
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    861532
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    51,221
    Points
    124,661
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    4,037
    Thanked 3,792x in 2,597 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Great, and off-topic we go. The word capitalism just seems to trigger Pavlovian responses from some.

    The topic is how pollution has been remedied by capitalism and not government regulation, just as it will be necessary to deal with climate change.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/drewhan.../#5da2d03c7ccc
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Captain Obvious (07-21-2019)

  15. #19
    Original Ranter
    Points: 280,278, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    771903
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    77,567
    Points
    280,278
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    27,983
    Thanked 38,047x in 25,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Indeed it is. People overlook the fact that the government (all levels) supports the unemployment of citizens by favoring big corporations which have converted a significant proportion of long-term employment into contract work and temp work while trying to somehow automate as many jobs as possible, assuming that they haven't moved it to some offshore location. Productivity is outpacing wages:



    https://tcf.org/content/commentary/g...rker/?agreed=1


    Yet some would have you believe that anyone but the top 1% is really realizing income growth nevermind income stability. I worry about the kids today.
    Then there's the "New Green Deal" on that topic which is troubling to me, that this could be the direction we're heading but I'm not convinced it is.

  16. #20
    Original Ranter
    Points: 280,278, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Banned
    Karma
    771903
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    77,567
    Points
    280,278
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    27,983
    Thanked 38,047x in 25,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Indeed it is. People overlook the fact that the government (all levels) supports the unemployment of citizens by favoring big corporations which have converted a significant proportion of long-term employment into contract work and temp work while trying to somehow automate as many jobs as possible, assuming that they haven't moved it to some offshore location. Productivity is outpacing wages:



    https://tcf.org/content/commentary/g...rker/?agreed=1


    Yet some would have you believe that anyone but the top 1% is really realizing income growth nevermind income stability. I worry about the kids today.
    And productivity cannot be deficient of consumption, regardless of the stupid youtube videos posted that can't happen in a long-term society.

    The difference between "market" production and wages equals fat, white rich guy profits. Lord knows people can't exist without sucking some fat rich guy's ass.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (07-21-2019)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO