Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Yes. But then I'd have to move in with you.
    Do you prefer dry or canned food?
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

NapRover (07-26-2019),pragmatic (07-26-2019)

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,427x in 20,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    "Jack Russell Terrorist"

<high five>
    I have a three-legged JR........................terrorist is absolutely correct
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

pragmatic (07-26-2019)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,247x in 12,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stories about mistreated animals are always hard to take - I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a few tears every time I read this one - but the ones like this one, with happy endings, brought about by caring people, make it all worthwhile.

Dog who 'doesn't know he's deformed' finds true love after years of neglect

Beau Tox, a sweet yellow Lab with a sunken cranium and close-set eyes, has a new lease on life thanks to a compassionate animal lover.

For longtime animal lover Jamie Hulit, all it took was one look to fall in love with a yellow Labrador with a smooshed face named Beaux Tox (or Beaux for short).
    About a year ago, a friend shared a picture of Beaux (whose name was Lucky at the time) and said his owners were looking for a foster or forever home for the 6-year-old dog. “I called my friend and said, ‘I want that dog. I don't even want to foster him. I want him,'" Hulit, who lives in Austin, Texas, told TODAY.

She then drove out to his owners’ house to pick up Beaux later that evening. But Hulit, 47, was greeted by a “horrible” sight upon arrival: The dog had been living in the backyard for five years without any love or attention, weighed a measly 42 pounds and had never been treated for fleas or heartworm. He didn’t even have a bed.

Beaux’s sunken cranium and close-set eyes are a result of sharing his mother’s womb with six other puppies. Though his physical differences have no effect on the dog's health or mental capabilities, the breeders struggled to find someone willing to pay top dollar for a purebred Lab with his facial deformities. Eventually, he was given away for free to the couple Hulit rescued him from.

Veterinarian Dr. Jay Rydberg told Hulit that Beaux had heartworm, a disease that can lead to heart and lung failure, and would most likely not make it. He gave her the option of trying to save him anyway, or putting him down. “I said I would feel horrible if we did not attempt to give him a life and whatever it takes; let’s do it,” Hulit said.

Beaux was on an oxygen tank for most of the first month of his recovery and too sick to even start his heartworm treatment. Hulit and Rydberg thought they were going to lose Beaux multiple times. Once, Rydberg even called Hulit to the clinic in the middle of the night to say her goodbyes, but the pup wasn’t ready to give up that easily.

After three months, Beaux weighed enough to go through heartworm treatment. He was finally given a clean bill of health this past November, even though he lost hearing in his left ear and is blind in his right eye.

Since going home with Hulit for good, Beaux, now 108 pounds, is “happy about everything” — even going to the vet. “The only thing he’ll get sad about is if he doesn’t get belly rubs on demand,” she joked.

Beaux and his two fur siblings, Riley, a 13-year-old golden retriever, and Scout, the newest addition to the family, are inseparable, according to Hulit. Riley has taught Beaux how to become an indoor dog, while Scout is the boss of the pack, always nipping Beaux on his rear end when he misbehaves.

https://www.today.com/pets/dog-facial-deformity-finds-home-after-years-neglect-t127790

I know someone who, when she hears about an abused or neglected animal, always says, "People suck"...and I always remind her that for every thoughtless or just downright evil animal abuser, there are hundreds of people who will step up and do whatever is necessary to fix the situation.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-28-2019),Cotton1 (08-03-2019),Dr. Who (07-26-2019),pragmatic (07-26-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is my Gemma, who was given to me in a parking lot as a 10 week old puppy, weighing all of twelve pounds, almost seven years ago. One look into those big brown eyes and I was a goner. Mostly AmStaff, a quarter German Shepherd and a little bit of Boxer. She takes her guard dog duties very seriously, sleeping every night with her back against the front door, which no one ever trained her to do. Very intelligent, but not too keen on spacial relationships - she tends to run into things when she gets excited.

Gemma and her cat Storm began playing when they were both about the same size. Gemma weighs sixty pounds now, but they're still playmates. She can almost get the cat's whole head in her mouth, and he lets her do it.

This is Lily, my wife's dog. Dumped out of a pickup truck into the middle of a supermarket parking lot when she was just a few months old, rescued by a couple of passing dog lovers - she had her photo posted on a rescue's website, where my wife saw it. Aside from knowing that she's got some pit bull DNA, we have no idea what other breeds are in her genetics. She runs faster than any dog I've ever seen who wasn't a greyhound, has the keen eyes of one of the sight hound breeds, and the markings of some dogs who are used for hunting.

Life without animals in the house would be so boring.
    “Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-28-2019),DGUtley (07-27-2019),Dr. Who (07-26-2019),pragmatic (07-26-2019),stjames1_53 (07-26-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

BenjaminO (07-27-2019),Dr. Who (07-27-2019)

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mamooth's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,077x in 794 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got two new cats. I went to the shelter, resisted looking at the kittens, and asked them for an older female, a hard case. I ended up with a 2-for-1 deal, a bonded pair of 6-year-old sisters, Halle and Maci.

Halle is a total snugglebunny. She's so happy to be out of that little cage at the shelter, and she wants me to know it.

Maci, you may see us on an episode of "My Cat From Hell". She hides in a cupboard, and screams and lunges if I come near.

That's okay. I think it's funny, having sisters that are angel-cat and devil-cat. Some cats need a lot of time to adjust, so I'll just leave her alone. If she wants to spend her whole life as the hell-cat in the cupboard, that's fine too, she'll have a safe and quiet spot for that lifestyle choice. I'm not lacking for the kitty-lovin', as Halle is smothering me with more than I can handle.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamooth For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (07-30-2019),MisterVeritis (09-13-2019),Peter1469 (07-31-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    I've got two new cats. I went to the shelter, resisted looking at the kittens, and asked them for an older female, a hard case. I ended up with a 2-for-1 deal, a bonded pair of 6-year-old sisters, Halle and Maci.

Halle is a total snugglebunny. She's so happy to be out of that little cage at the shelter, and she wants me to know it.

Maci, you may see us on an episode of "My Cat From Hell". She hides in a cupboard, and screams and lunges if I come near.

That's okay. I think it's funny, having sisters that are angel-cat and devil-cat. Some cats need a lot of time to adjust, so I'll just leave her alone. If she wants to spend her whole life as the hell-cat in the cupboard, that's fine too, she'll have a safe and quiet spot for that lifestyle choice. I'm not lacking for the kitty-lovin', as Halle is smothering me with more than I can handle.
    One of our cats, a beautiful big long-haired bicolor named Abby, retreated to the finished basement several years ago and is only rarely spotted these days. We monitor her health as best we can from a distance, and of course provide her with her own food, water and litter box, but she doesn't want anything to do with us. A couple of the other cats go down and socialize with her, and she routinely chases another one up the stairs when he annoys her. Last fall I made the mistake of trying to corner and grab her, with the intention of taking her to the vet for a checkup, and she ripped up my left arm something terrible and bit my right thumb so hard and deeply that nine months later I only have partial feeling in it.

I've often thought that if I could choose a superpower, it would be to communicate telepathically with animals - so that I could know what was going on in their heads, know when they were in pain, etc.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (07-30-2019),Peter1469 (07-31-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are so many good people on this forum. If you need a heart warming lift this thread is a good place to.get one. Thanks to all of you..
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-31-2019)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    One of our cats, a beautiful big long-haired bicolor named Abby, retreated to the finished basement several years ago and is only rarely spotted these days. We monitor her health as best we can from a distance, and of course provide her with her own food, water and litter box, but she doesn't want anything to do with us. A couple of the other cats go down and socialize with her, and she routinely chases another one up the stairs when he annoys her. Last fall I made the mistake of trying to corner and grab her, with the intention of taking her to the vet for a checkup, and she ripped up my left arm something terrible and bit my right thumb so hard and deeply that nine months later I only have partial feeling in it.

I've often thought that if I could choose a superpower, it would be to communicate telepathically with animals - so that I could know what was going on in their heads, know when they were in pain, etc.
    You are too forgiving. Had that cat attacked me in that way, I would had her trapped and euthanized. She is of no use to humans for companionship. I may have let her go in the desert to survive or not with the coyotes and rattlers if I was in a giving mood.

No animal that physically attacks humans should be allowed in your home.
    Last edited by jimmyz; 07-31-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (07-31-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    You are too forgiving. Had that cat attacked me in that way, I would had her trapped and euthanized. She is of no use to humans for companionship. I may have let her go in the desert to survive or not with the coyotes and rattlers if I was in a giving mood.

No animal that physically attacks humans should be allowed in your home.
    I stupidly chased her down, cornered her and then tried to grab her. She was justifiably terrified, particularly given the very limited contact she's had with humans for several years. I could have taken my time, even set up a humane cage trap - I have one - for her, but no, I was in a hurry and believed I could just grab her and stick her in a carrier. Yes, I got hurt and it was entirely my fault. If she were running around the house attacking people or other animals unprovoked, I'd seriously think about going the euthanasia route, but "letting her go in the desert"? I can think of a few people I might consider doing that to, but a domestic animal? Not for a million dollars.

+ Reply to Thread