Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,717x in 16,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Scientists uncover creative formula for movie making success

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampp...-movie-success

believe they have found the formula for box office success.

After analysing data from 6,147 movie scripts and filtering it through a series of algorithms, the researchers have identified the emotional arc that makes the most money, called the “man in a hole” arc.

It could be gamechanging for both film producers and audiences, said Ganna Pogrebna, a professor of behavioural economics and data science at the University of Birmingham, who led the research team. “We know that when we talk about movie production it is a small group of people that make ..more at link...
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The end result is hollywoods indoctrination movies and identity movies arent working
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (08-09-2019)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,596
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    six stage plot structure

https://writerswrite.co.za/the-6-sta...-storytelling/

Writers Write
    Menu

6-Stage Plot Structure For Successful Storytelling

Michael Hauge has created a formula around the five turning points and six stages you need to write a good story. Eduardo L. Lozano created this infographic – The Six Stage Plot Structure – illustrating Hauge’s formula for writing successful screenplays.

We think that you can use this as the skeleton for any storytelling, including novels and business stories. As Hauge says, ‘Even if you are a novelist, speaker, marketer or attorney, understanding these turning points, and incorporating them into your stories, will strengthen your ability to enthral your reader or audience.’

He goes on to explain: “Plot structure simply determines the sequence of events that lead the hero toward this objective. [The Story Goal] And here’s the good news: whether you’re writing romantic comedies, suspense thrillers, historical dramas or big budget science fiction, all successful Hollywood movies follow the same basic structure.

In a properly structured movie, the story consists of six basic stages, which are defined by five key turning points in the plot. Not only are these turning points always the same; they always occupy the same positions in the story.

Graph at link...
    Last edited by Cotton1; 08-09-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    The end result is hollywoods indoctrination movies and identity movies arent working
    I'd be very interested in hearing what you believe are instances of attempts to "indoctrinate" us in some recent movies, C. Quite frankly, as I noted elsewhere, I think most such claims are complete crap.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Recent movie releases:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette...Bernadette Fox seems to have it all -- a beautiful home, a loving husband and a brilliant teenage daughter. When Bernadette suddenly disappears, her concerned family sets off on an exciting adventure to solve the mystery of where she might have gone.

47 Meters Down: Uncaged...tells the story of four teens diving in a ruined underwater city, who quickly find themselves in a watery hell as their adventure turns to horror when they learn they are not alone in the submerged caves.

The Art of Racing in the Rain...Denny Swift is a Formula One race car driver who understands that the techniques needed on the racetrack can also be used to successfully navigate everyday life. Besides his career, Denny has three loves of his life -- his beautiful wife, their young daughter and his best friend, which is a dog.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark...The shadow of the Bellows family has loomed large in the small town of Mill Valley for generations. It's in a mansion that young Sarah Bellows turns her tortured life and horrible secrets into a series of scary stories. These terrifying tales soon have a way of becoming all too real for a group of unsuspecting teens who stumble upon Sarah's spooky home.

Ad Astra...A man journeys across a lawless solar system to find his missing father -- a renegade scientist who poses a threat to humanity.

Joker...Failed comedian Arthur Fleck encounters violent thugs while wandering the streets of Gotham City dressed as a clown. Disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow dissent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker.

Ready or Not...
    Grace couldn't be happier after she marries the man of her dreams at his family's luxurious estate. There's just one catch -- she must now hide from midnight until dawn while her new in-laws hunt her with guns, crossbows and other weapons.

Hobbs and Shaw...Ever since hulking lawman Hobbs (Johnson), a loyal agent of America's Diplomatic Security Service, and lawless outcast Shaw (Statham), a former British military elite operative, first faced off in 2015’s Furious 7, the duo have swapped smack talk and body blows as they’ve tried to take each other down. But when cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton (Idris Elba) gains control of an insidious bio-threat that could alter humanity forever — and bests a brilliant and fearless rogue MI6 agent...etc.

Crawl...When a massive hurricane hits her Florida town, young Haley ignores the evacuation orders to search for her missing father, Dave. After finding him gravely injured in their family home, the two of them become trapped by the rapidly encroaching floodwaters.

The Lion King...
    Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny on the plains of Africa. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub's arrival. Scar, Mufasa's brother -- and former heir to the throne -- has plans of his own.

Spider-Man: Far From Home...
    Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man must step up to take on new threats in a world that has changed forever.

Annabelle Comes Home...Determined to keep Annabelle from wreaking more havoc, paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren lock the possessed doll in the artifacts room in their house. But when the doll awakens the room's evil spirits, it soon becomes an unholy night of terror for the couple's 10-year-old daughter

Midsommar...
    With their relationship in trouble, a young American couple travel to a fabled Swedish midsummer festival where a seemingly pastoral paradise transforms into a sinister, dread-soaked nightmare as the locals reveal their terrifying agenda.

Wow, I see what you mean, C. Leftist indoctrination fodder everywhere you look.

Incidentally, if anyone thinks that I cherry-picked those films, I Googled "recent movie releases" and copied and pasted the first dozen or so entries on the list.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shakespeares 5 act structure

https://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/s...act-structure/

...the beginning of a play consists of the presentation of a character, someone the audience can identify with. That is a beginning – an opening, a first act. The character makes a decision and performs an action, which moves the play on. That action has consequences, and so it goes on, until that initial action results in a climax, followed by a reversal and then a resolution. All that will make the audience hold its breath and then release it at the end in a kind of catharsis.

More at link...
    Last edited by Cotton1; 08-09-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Recent movie releases:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette...Bernadette Fox seems to have it all -- a beautiful home, a loving husband and a brilliant teenage daughter. When Bernadette suddenly disappears, her concerned family sets off on an exciting adventure to solve the mystery of where she might have gone.

47 Meters Down: Uncaged...tells the story of four teens diving in a ruined underwater city, who quickly find themselves in a watery hell as their adventure turns to horror when they learn they are not alone in the submerged caves.

The Art of Racing in the Rain...Denny Swift is a Formula One race car driver who understands that the techniques needed on the racetrack can also be used to successfully navigate everyday life. Besides his career, Denny has three loves of his life -- his beautiful wife, their young daughter and his best friend, which is a dog.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark...The shadow of the Bellows family has loomed large in the small town of Mill Valley for generations. It's in a mansion that young Sarah Bellows turns her tortured life and horrible secrets into a series of scary stories. These terrifying tales soon have a way of becoming all too real for a group of unsuspecting teens who stumble upon Sarah's spooky home.

Ad Astra...A man journeys across a lawless solar system to find his missing father -- a renegade scientist who poses a threat to humanity.

Joker...Failed comedian Arthur Fleck encounters violent thugs while wandering the streets of Gotham City dressed as a clown. Disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow dissent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker.

Ready or Not...
    Grace couldn't be happier after she marries the man of her dreams at his family's luxurious estate. There's just one catch -- she must now hide from midnight until dawn while her new in-laws hunt her with guns, crossbows and other weapons.

Hobbs and Shaw...Ever since hulking lawman Hobbs (Johnson), a loyal agent of America's Diplomatic Security Service, and lawless outcast Shaw (Statham), a former British military elite operative, first faced off in 2015’s Furious 7, the duo have swapped smack talk and body blows as they’ve tried to take each other down. But when cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton (Idris Elba) gains control of an insidious bio-threat that could alter humanity forever — and bests a brilliant and fearless rogue MI6 agent...etc.

Crawl...When a massive hurricane hits her Florida town, young Haley ignores the evacuation orders to search for her missing father, Dave. After finding him gravely injured in their family home, the two of them become trapped by the rapidly encroaching floodwaters.

The Lion King...
    Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny on the plains of Africa. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub's arrival. Scar, Mufasa's brother -- and former heir to the throne -- has plans of his own.

Spider-Man: Far From Home...
    Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man must step up to take on new threats in a world that has changed forever.

Annabelle Comes Home...Determined to keep Annabelle from wreaking more havoc, paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren lock the possessed doll in the artifacts room in their house. But when the doll awakens the room's evil spirits, it soon becomes an unholy night of terror for the couple's 10-year-old daughter

Midsommar...
    With their relationship in trouble, a young American couple travel to a fabled Swedish midsummer festival where a seemingly pastoral paradise transforms into a sinister, dread-soaked nightmare as the locals reveal their terrifying agenda.

Wow, I see what you mean, C. Leftist indoctrination fodder everywhere you look.

Incidentally, if anyone thinks that I cherry-picked those films, I Googled "recent movie releases" and copied and pasted the first dozen or so entries on the list.
    47 meters and Art of Racing in the Rain are good movies
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its no surprise how similar theater is. Common elements ..a journey. Buddies. Antagonist. Hope . Dashed hope. Renewed hope. Savior
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love to write. I would never limit myself to the formula of another. I have a loose personal formula that has evolved over time. I have an antagonist. Im either in one place I never leave (as in knock knock its knotts) or I am moving and never in one place ( as in yesterdays Scarlett todays Rhett). I love miscommunication between all characters. It gives them versatility. I use a running low key dialogue (as i do with myself " boo boo cotton and gf " pookie bear" in knock knock knotts) to pull dialogue away from the antagonist and to frustrate antagonist. I also use human compassion between myself and antagonist as a recurring and common ground. I enjoy a childlike undertone such as " if I can't see you you can't see me" and vice versa to reset the readers mind to a simpler and happy time. I usually end a piece of a larger piece on a neutral or weak note. I do not use a strong ending. "Nobody wins if we have conflict", " nobody's right till somebody's wrong" are a recurring theme I use. I also make it just unfunny enough to be funny in its unfunniness. IOW, I am one of those people who lol at my own jokes and writing. Its a very useful outlet for me. Writing allows me to journey as far into my mind as I wish with limits set by me, not another writer. Its great therapy and reminds me not to take myself too seriously. Very few people actually " get me" or understand me. Most take life to seriously for levity. I try , I try to make myself smile regardless of the insanity of the world we live in. In the spirit of that it's also..humbling
    Last edited by Cotton1; 08-09-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned