Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    What does any of that have to do with the OP? The man had his sentence commuted because he knows the right people - possibly even goes to church and/or plays golf with them, and certainly has financial dealings with them. End of story. Do you disagree?
    Its obvious he knows the right people. That isnt a crime . He went to a very unpleasent place for a few years over allegations of wrongdoing. Personally, I dont care for him or his family very much. The family member I know best is a delusional pathological liar. My exposure to them is thru a close friend. I think they are white trash that have a lot of money. .My only reservation is I am not sure he has the intelligence to.be as calculating as portrayed. Ad for social skills? Zero. That puzzles me. A few months ago I told a family member "you aren't from here you will never be one of us so stfu ". My guess? He engaged in shortcuts, obviously. He .may have gotten bamboozled into, liked it. Got caught, now hes out. Everyone should be happy. I wouldnt want to spend the night where he spent the past 2 years. Hes not a violent offende
    Who cares if he got out a littie early
    Last edited by Cotton1; 07-31-2019 at 02:53 AM.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I obviously have mixed feelings about a lot of people. Until only a few years ago I thought most people were inherently good. Now I know better
    I Have a terrible disdain for people with poor manners. I've never met a person yet with bad manners that wasnt rotten to the core
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I have to wonder whether the fact that a police officer was the murder victim added a degree of, shall we say, prosecutorial zeal to the scenario.
    I think that definitely played a part. It happened in a small community in the deep south.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    The husband of a colleague of mine is in prison for Murder 2. His real crime was not telling on the people who actually committed the crime. I guess that's a crime, too, though. It was like two decades ago and he and two other guys were talking about stealing stuff from Home Depot. He chickened out and made an excuse not to go -- said he'd meet them later. He did, the next day, and then he found out that the other two had been stopped by an officer and one of them shot and killed the officer. My colleague's husband was not married yet, but he moved away. Years later he gets married and then one morning, my colleague and her husband are awakened by police in their yard. They took him away and charged him with Murder 2. They knew he wasn't anywhere near the killing but some law allowed them to charge him with that. He even gave them recordings of messages left on his phone from the actual shooting saying he'd "take care" of his family if it ever got out. Anyway, I think he's been in prison now for 4 or 5 years of a 10 year sentence.

He probably should have told the authorities right away. Hindsight is always 20-20.
    Finders...my apologies for not catching this in its totality earlier. Thats a very disturbing event at many levels. First , what happened to the officer is sad. In one moment the future of so many changed course. I wonder if he had spoken sooner if he would have been charged anyway., as an accessory? If they did charge him it doesn't appear they needed his testomony. How did it come to light what happened per his involvement?
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Finders...my apologies for not catching this in its totality earlier. Thats a very disturbing event at many levels. First , what happened to the officer is sad. In one moment the future of so many changed course. I wonder if he had spoken sooner if he would have been charged anyway., as an accessory? If they did charge him it doesn't appear they needed his testomony. How did it come to light what happened per his involvement?
    Thanks for your post. I wonder too if he would have been charged with something lesser had he just told what happened. He should have reported it right off the bat, but (according to his wife who knew nothing until the morning they arrested him), he was afraid for his family so he remained quiet and just left town. That has to be a horrible burden to carry around with you. He didn't want to be involved with robbing Home Depot -- he probably should have reported that, but you know how young men are -- they don't want to be rats.

I think he's been in prison for about five years now and I know he's still appealing. Meanwhile, his wife had to sell their home and vehicles (he owned a cell tower business and made decent money), and she had to move in with her mom. His legal fees took nearly everything they'd saved up. I can't feel super sorry for the guy, because the family of that officer had to live with not knowing what happened for so long, but I think ten years for not telling is a lot of time. I feel incredibly sorry for his wife who is one of the kindest, smartest folks I've ever worked with.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Thanks for your post. I wonder too if he would have been charged with something lesser had he just told what happened. He should have reported it right off the bat, but (according to his wife who knew nothing until the morning they arrested him), he was afraid for his family so he remained quiet and just left town. That has to be a horrible burden to carry around with you. He didn't want to be involved with robbing Home Depot -- he probably should have reported that, but you know how young men are -- they don't want to be rats.

I think he's been in prison for about five years now and I know he's still appealing. Meanwhile, his wife had to sell their home and vehicles (he owned a cell tower business and made decent money), and she had to move in with her mom. His legal fees took nearly everything they'd saved up. I can't feel super sorry for the guy, because the family of that officer had to live with not knowing what happened for so long, but I think ten years for not telling is a lot of time. I feel incredibly sorry for his wife who is one of the kindest, smartest folks I've ever worked with.
    Its a sad circumstance. He tries to do the right thing by not going with them. Things go horribly wrong. When he finds out he apparently went to deer in headlights mode. After a short period of time he was at the point of no return. Had he turned himself in he might have at least got the front sest on the bus. Sad..
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (07-31-2019)

+ Reply to Thread