Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,519x in 14,779 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Seeking driving advice. Try not to be a douchebag.

For various reasons, I did not get my learner's permit until the beginning of June this year. Because I am 29 I was able to undergo a certain amount of training and get a waiver for my full license without requiring a road test. This is all fantastic for administrative purposes and I was able to get my full license within a month of getting my learner's, but I still try to spend an hour or two practicing every day on roads around where I live. I am going to start going on longer trips (1-2 hours) to local sites in order to get used to driving on roads I am not familiar with, like maybe once a week. Also, I need to get used to longer drives.

The highway doesn't really scare me, but I have a hard time especially at night. It feels like my brain is totally overloading. My driving instructor called me the "German driver" because I drove like I was on the autobahn, so, speed doesn't scare me. Also, this stupid place is permanently under construction and the highway doesn't have shoulders currently and it is not comfortable driving right next to a concrete barrier... But I avoid the highway. It doesn't help that I have no idea which highways are tolls and which are not (DC-area) so I always opt for the route without tolls and highways. I may get an EZ pass once I am further along.

Any tips?
    Get the Easy Pass and a decent GPS. The rest is practice.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Get the Easy Pass and a decent GPS. The rest is practice.
    Good advice. Waze on your phone in a car with Bluetooth works fine.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminO View Post
    Just moved from Springfield 3 years ago up to North of Frederick.
    What a huge difference even though certain roads can come near sometimes to the mess in Springfield.
    Once you get north of 70 it's much much better. The country roads and roads through the mountains are peaceful and there's lots to see and do with limited traffic.
    Depending on where you are go west towards Front Royal. It's not too bad out that way either.

As far as going into DC I'd advise against it for a while. Look at the bumpers and corner panels of most cars that go to into DC and you'll see scuff marks because there's lots of contact (literally) and they will just drive right off after they hit you. It's a rush. They will do anything to get around you even blasting on the right through empty parking places.
    And they aren't all very tolerant as you may be aware of the shooting in the 3rd Street tunnel the other day.
    Anyway, I'd suggest coming north. It's much better driving up here.
    Good luck.
    I am going to probably drive out to Front Royal sometime next week. Maybe check out the Appalachian trail near Scott's run and then head back. It's not too far, but it's not entirely familiar, and it's out of the city. I can try the country road trick, too. Maybe take a small hike or something.

Funny you mentioned that, because I had mapped out that drive before I posted this thread. I do not have time this week because I have to write six papers.

Yeah, they're pretty crazy in the city. I haven't found it too bad right down near the Capitol, probably because of how heavy the law enforcement presence is. Anything inside the beltway seems to be that way at night, also, in terms of highways specifically. The first time I came here I was shocked with how many cop cars I saw at night. Where I am from? Speed limits are suggestions and police rarely actually police it, hah.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    Get an Uber or lyft. I’m 44. I’m so sick of driving in populated areas. It is constant fight or flight. Largely do to strangers possibly finger banging their phone at any given time, and also the increase in congestion. Sorry to be buzzkill. Congratulations on your new mobility.
    I cried at the DMV when I passed and got my learner's, in a good way - this was just something I was sort of scared of for no particular reason and kind of haunted me. I have always cabbed everywhere, more recently using Uber. It is amazing how freeing it is just to go anytime I want.

I like the car I got because even the screen (Navigation, music, settings, etc.) freezes if you're going faster than 6 mph. I find that fantastic, because people do not just $#@! around on their phones - it's the stupid systems in the car! Inputting addresses while driving and screwing around with music. So forth.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cried at the DMV when I passed and got my learner's, in a good way - this was just something I was sort of scared of for no particular reason and kind of haunted me. I have always cabbed everywhere, more recently using Uber. It is amazing how freeing it is just to go anytime I want.

I like the car I got because even the screen (Navigation, music, settings, etc.) freezes if you're going faster than 6 mph. I find that fantastic, because people do not just $#@! around on their phones - it's the stupid systems in the car! Inputting addresses while driving and screwing around with music. So forth.
    Be safe and enjoy. Sorry if I was a bummer.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to probably drive out to Front Royal sometime next week. Maybe check out the Appalachian trail near Scott's run and then head back. It's not too far, but it's not entirely familiar, and it's out of the city. I can try the country road trick, too. Maybe take a small hike or something.

Funny you mentioned that, because I had mapped out that drive before I posted this thread. I do not have time this week because I have to write six papers.

Yeah, they're pretty crazy in the city. I haven't found it too bad right down near the Capitol, probably because of how heavy the law enforcement presence is. Anything inside the beltway seems to be that way at night, also, in terms of highways specifically. The first time I came here I was shocked with how many cop cars I saw at night. Where I am from? Speed limits are suggestions and police rarely actually police it, hah.
    Next you might want to try a trip up to Thurmont via Hwy 15. Then take 77 West to Catoctin Mountain Park.
    495 to 270 to Frederick and then 15 is one way or if you go further west to Leesburg take 15 all the way through Point of Rocks. The drive up 15 is more peaceful because it's only a 2 lane road and the drivers are not as crazy.
    There are a bunch of great trails from easy to advanced and they even offer camping and even cabins you can rent.
    Once you are that far North you'll only be 20 miles South of Gettysburg which is another cool place to visit.

Also, while you are in the Front Royal area you might want to go up into the Shenandoah National Park. Along with the multiple places to pull off to check out the view there are some that have trails that are fun to hike.

Have fun, be careful, and enjoy your newfound freedom!!!!
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,519x in 14,779 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    Good advice. Waze on your phone in a car with Bluetooth works fine.
    As an aside i was once in a vechile with coworkers where the drive had a GPS and three of the passengers had GPS on the phone. TWO of them didn't know enough to turn the volume down. It drove me nuts but somehow the driver kept her cool long enough to say something to effect of "please turn those the $#@! down"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-02-2019),zachroidott (08-02-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So... been trying to get used to different types of roads since I am going to be driving in the UK in a couple of weeks, and I was on the highway today, and I realized that so many people are $#@!s. I mean, it's not a new realization, trust me I know how many $#@!s are out there and I know that I can be one of them, but it feels more palpable on the highway when there is a greater degree of danger I think.

Like I leave a fair amount of room between me and the vehicle in front of me. It's based on the information I read in the learner's phase, and my car has the technology to tell me based on speed and stuff whether I am following too closely. It is not an excessive amount of space, but a safe amount of space. Do you know how many people use that safety cushion as a way to get over? They only signal halfway through transitioning into my cushion. If they had signalled appropriately and given me a heads-up, I would have slowed down and let them in. But no, they had to just shove in and signal like a douchebag.

Gaaaaah.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... been trying to get used to different types of roads since I am going to be driving in the UK in a couple of weeks, and I was on the highway today, and I realized that so many people are $#@!s. I mean, it's not a new realization, trust me I know how many $#@!s are out there and I know that I can be one of them, but it feels more palpable on the highway when there is a greater degree of danger I think.

Like I leave a fair amount of room between me and the vehicle in front of me. It's based on the information I read in the learner's phase, and my car has the technology to tell me based on speed and stuff whether I am following too closely. It is not an excessive amount of space, but a safe amount of space. Do you know how many people use that safety cushion as a way to get over? They only signal halfway through transitioning into my cushion. If they had signalled appropriately and given me a heads-up, I would have slowed down and let them in. But no, they had to just shove in and signal like a douchebag.

Gaaaaah.
    Your experience driving in the DC area is not a good example of what driving can and should be.
    The aggression you are being exposed to is not evident everywhere you will be driving.
    I drove for 50+ years in west Michigan before coming to this area 15 years ago.
    I had never experienced such rude and aggressive driving anywhere, ever.
    Enjoy your chance to drive outside of this area.
    Hopefully it will be an adventure. Enjoy.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,987x in 55,610 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seeking driving advice. Try not to be a douchebag.

For various reasons, I did not get my learner's permit until the beginning of June this year. Because I am 29 I was able to undergo a certain amount of training and get a waiver for my full license without requiring a road test...Any tips?
    I find it fairly troubling that someone at any age can get a drivers license without having to demonstrate their driving skills by taking a road test.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Cotton1 (08-13-2019)

+ Reply to Thread