User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driving?

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Driving?

Seeking driving advice. Try not to be a douchebag.

For various reasons, I did not get my learner's permit until the beginning of June this year. Because I am 29 I was able to undergo a certain amount of training and get a waiver for my full license without requiring a road test. This is all fantastic for administrative purposes and I was able to get my full license within a month of getting my learner's, but I still try to spend an hour or two practicing every day on roads around where I live. I am going to start going on longer trips (1-2 hours) to local sites in order to get used to driving on roads I am not familiar with, like maybe once a week. Also, I need to get used to longer drives.

The highway doesn't really scare me, but I have a hard time especially at night. It feels like my brain is totally overloading. My driving instructor called me the "German driver" because I drove like I was on the autobahn, so, speed doesn't scare me. Also, this stupid place is permanently under construction and the highway doesn't have shoulders currently and it is not comfortable driving right next to a concrete barrier... But I avoid the highway. It doesn't help that I have no idea which highways are tolls and which are not (DC-area) so I always opt for the route without tolls and highways. I may get an EZ pass once I am further along.

Any tips?

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    For various reasons, I did not get my learner's permit until the beginning of June this year. Because I am 29 I was able to undergo a certain amount of training and get a waiver for my full license without requiring a road test. This is all fantastic for administrative purposes and I was able to get my full license within a month of getting my learner's, but I still try to spend an hour or two practicing every day on roads around where I live. I am going to start going on longer trips (1-2 hours) to local sites in order to get used to driving on roads I am not familiar with, like maybe once a week. Also, I need to get used to longer drives.

The highway doesn't really scare me, but I have a hard time especially at night. It feels like my brain is totally overloading. My driving instructor called me the "German driver" because I drove like I was on the autobahn, so, speed doesn't scare me. Also, this stupid place is permanently under construction and the highway doesn't have shoulders currently and it is not comfortable driving right next to a concrete barrier... But I avoid the highway. It doesn't help that I have no idea which highways are tolls and which are not (DC-area) so I always opt for the route without tolls and highways. I may get an EZ pass once I am further along.

Any tips?
    Driving in the DC area is a event unlike any other. Did that for about a year back in the 1990s and swore I would never do it again. I tip my hat that you are willing to try.

Concrete barriers can be nerve racking, but through the years, I've learned not to look at what was stationary next to me, but look 20-30 feet ahead, with the barriers in your periphery. Unless the construction zone is a complete boondoggle, the lane width should remain relatively equal the entire ride.

Good luck!
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-31-2019)

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,464x in 20,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips?
    Assume your phone stops working and you cannot find your way around. Get an Atlas road map.. I have several (one in each car) and try to find a local map for where you are going.
    This is a polite question and totally not meant to be demeaning. Can you tell basic direction NSEW with out a compass? If not, invest in one.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-31-2019),Peter1469 (07-31-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Driving in the DC area is a event unlike any other. Did that for about a year back in the 1990s and swore I would never do it again. I tip my hat that you are willing to try.

Concrete barriers can be nerve racking, but through the years, I've learned not to look at what was stationary next to me, but look 20-30 feet ahead, with the barriers in your periphery. Unless the construction zone is a complete boondoggle, the lane width should remain relatively equal the entire ride.

Good luck!
    N'awlins is a screwy city. Once I figured out the city was laid out in a circular pattern and compensated for road work, I was able to get around just fine.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (07-31-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Assume your phone stops working and you cannot find your way around. Get an Atlas road map.. I have several (one in each car) and try to find a local map for where you are going.
    This is a polite question and totally not meant to be demeaning. Can you tell basic direction NSEW with out a compass? If not, invest in one.
    I could tell north/west based on the sun assuming it's not mid-day or night. Also, I know my area well enough to sort of know where NSEW is from staring at Google maps. I can never figure out what star is the North Star, and usually identify a $#@!ing planet. I'm horrible about that kind of thing.

I did plan to invest in a real map. When I was looking at cars, I remember mentally noting that the one I went with has a spot for a map (some crossovers no longer have seat pockets for some reason).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (07-31-2019)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,791x in 2,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, congrats, just so you know, my Mom didn't get her license until age 32, nothing wrong with starting late. If I had to suggest anything it would be to get a Garmin, it actually will reroute you around toll roads and highways by request! Also my driving instructor took me on a two mile back road and told me to drive it without using the brake (let off the gas ). I find myself using that technique to this day...good luck, and please, when you're in the fast lane, drive fast

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-31-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post

Good luck!
    I haven't had the balls to go into actual DC yet (live in the NoVA side) - I think that might be something I do after a few weeks of longer trips out west or south of the city. I generally drive away from the center of things. Once I feel more confident, I think it could be fun since I like driving through the thick of things. My dentist is a block from the White House, and I always enjoyed my Uber drive down there, lol.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,596
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,716x in 16,156 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Put your foot on the gas and let it rip. No worries, hell ain't half full yet...
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had the balls to go into actual DC yet (live in the NoVA side) - I think that might be something I do after a few weeks of longer trips out west or south of the city. I generally drive away from the center of things. Once I feel more confident, I think it could be fun since I like driving through the thick of things. My dentist is a block from the White House, and I always enjoyed my Uber drive down there, lol.
    You'll get there. Keep practicing, stay alert, plan your trip, and one day, God willing, you'll be able to take a road trip. When you do, bump me and I'll help you plan a trip to here, 5 acres with an astounding view at sunset. The wife and I enjoy that time of day the most.
    - Thucydides

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (07-31-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    First of all, congrats, just so you know, my Mom didn't get her license until age 32, nothing wrong with starting late. If I had to suggest anything it would be to get a Garmin, it actually will reroute you around toll roads and highways by request! Also my driving instructor took me on a two mile back road and told me to drive it without using the brake (let off the gas ). I find myself using that technique to this day...good luck, and please, when you're in the fast lane, drive fast
    Whoa, that's an awesome idea. I was going to drive out to the Appalachian trail at some point, and I bet I could find some good country roads.

I am really terrible at coasting and I overuse the break.

+ Reply to Thread