Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,642x in 2,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Whoa, that's an awesome idea. I was going to drive out to the Appalachian trail at some point, and I bet I could find some good country roads.

I am really terrible at coasting and I overuse the break.
    Not just coasting but also utilizing the engine (shifting down even in an automatic D-1 through D-3) to slow/keep momentum...plus, it will save your breaks a lot of wear...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-31-2019)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,263x in 20,294 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    Not just coasting but also utilizing the engine (shifting down even in an automatic D-1 through D-3) to slow/keep momentum...plus, it will save your breaks a lot of wear...
    especially on long downhill roads............I wore out a new set of brakes travelling up and down the Smokies.
    Man, I miss my manual.................
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (07-31-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeking driving advice. Try not to be a douchebag.

For various reasons, I did not get my learner's permit until the beginning of June this year. Because I am 29 I was able to undergo a certain amount of training and get a waiver for my full license without requiring a road test. This is all fantastic for administrative purposes and I was able to get my full license within a month of getting my learner's, but I still try to spend an hour or two practicing every day on roads around where I live. I am going to start going on longer trips (1-2 hours) to local sites in order to get used to driving on roads I am not familiar with, like maybe once a week. Also, I need to get used to longer drives.

The highway doesn't really scare me, but I have a hard time especially at night. It feels like my brain is totally overloading. My driving instructor called me the "German driver" because I drove like I was on the autobahn, so, speed doesn't scare me. Also, this stupid place is permanently under construction and the highway doesn't have shoulders currently and it is not comfortable driving right next to a concrete barrier... But I avoid the highway. It doesn't help that I have no idea which highways are tolls and which are not (DC-area) so I always opt for the route without tolls and highways. I may get an EZ pass once I am further along.

Any tips?
    Keep driving in areas that make you uncomfortable; it'll sharpen your skills and get you used to driving if foreign or stressed environments like cities and bad weather. As long as you have Google maps or something to that effect, don;t be afraid to take whatever turns: you should also be on highways and downtown somewhere... Night driving can be tiring because of the glare. Your peripheral vision is what you need to practice and don't look into on coming headlights: look at the shoulder and follow the white line as a car passes; you can see that oncoming car movements better that way. You sound determined, so you'll be fine.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    NapRover's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,636x in 1,083 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main advice is get the best defensive driving info you can. Always assume someone’s going to run a red light or a stop sign. Don’t get too anxious to pass. Keep 3-4-5 seconds between you and whatever you’re following (depending on speed).
    I drive 3-4K miles per month. Good luck, God bless!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NapRover For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (07-31-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My driving instructor taught us to imagine an invisible air cushion around our car that extended a few car lengths in front and in back. We were to always try to maintain this invisible bubble so as to be ready in an instant if we had to make a sudden driving correction.

Also, on that shoulder-drop-off thing. Don't look at the edge of the road. Rather, focus your attention straight ahead somewhere a few feet above the middle of your lane.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (07-31-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    my junk is ugly

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (08-01-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to Ohio. The roads are pretty good.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (08-01-2019),NapRover (07-31-2019),stjames1_53 (08-01-2019)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BenjaminO's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,735x in 1,363 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For various reasons, I did not get my learner's permit until the beginning of June this year. Because I am 29 I was able to undergo a certain amount of training and get a waiver for my full license without requiring a road test. This is all fantastic for administrative purposes and I was able to get my full license within a month of getting my learner's, but I still try to spend an hour or two practicing every day on roads around where I live. I am going to start going on longer trips (1-2 hours) to local sites in order to get used to driving on roads I am not familiar with, like maybe once a week. Also, I need to get used to longer drives.

The highway doesn't really scare me, but I have a hard time especially at night. It feels like my brain is totally overloading. My driving instructor called me the "German driver" because I drove like I was on the autobahn, so, speed doesn't scare me. Also, this stupid place is permanently under construction and the highway doesn't have shoulders currently and it is not comfortable driving right next to a concrete barrier... But I avoid the highway. It doesn't help that I have no idea which highways are tolls and which are not (DC-area) so I always opt for the route without tolls and highways. I may get an EZ pass once I am further along.

Any tips?
    Just moved from Springfield 3 years ago up to North of Frederick.
    What a huge difference even though certain roads can come near sometimes to the mess in Springfield.
    Once you get north of 70 it's much much better. The country roads and roads through the mountains are peaceful and there's lots to see and do with limited traffic.
    Depending on where you are go west towards Front Royal. It's not too bad out that way either.

As far as going into DC I'd advise against it for a while. Look at the bumpers and corner panels of most cars that go to into DC and you'll see scuff marks because there's lots of contact (literally) and they will just drive right off after they hit you. It's a rush. They will do anything to get around you even blasting on the right through empty parking places.
    And they aren't all very tolerant as you may be aware of the shooting in the 3rd Street tunnel the other day.
    Anyway, I'd suggest coming north. It's much better driving up here.
    Good luck.
    Red Green
    The man's prayer:

I'm a man
    But I can change
    If I have to
    I guess

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BenjaminO For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (08-01-2019)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Beevee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,826x in 1,454 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are driving on a motorway, take the middle lane and drive at the maximum speed, but not over it.
    If any problem does arise, it's due to who is behind you, on either side. So, it wont be your fault.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any tips?
    Get an Uber or lyft. I’m 44. I’m so sick of driving in populated areas. It is constant fight or flight. Largely do to strangers possibly finger banging their phone at any given time, and also the increase in congestion. Sorry to be buzzkill. Congratulations on your new mobility.

+ Reply to Thread