User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lindsay Shepherd's Twitter Reinstatement: Significant?

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lindsay Shepherd's Twitter Reinstatement: Significant?

Those who have followed my posts for some time know that Meghan Murphy, who runs the Feminist Current web site that I frequent and has become perhaps Canada's best-known feminist, was permanently banned from Twitter last year for so rudely "misgendering" a male pedophile named Jonathan Yaniv by using male pronouns to describe him. The Vancouver Public Library has been banned from participating in today's Pride events in Canada because they (barely) allowed her, along with Lee Lakeman (who works for Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter, which has now been de-funded for their longstanding policy of only hiring women and only admitting women and children) and other radical feminists to subsequently host a talk about gender identity this last January. (Every ticket sold.)

Recently, this same individual, Mr. Yaniv -- who has also filed 16 human rights lawsuits against various (mostly immigrant and religious minority) female beauticians who predominantly work out of their own homes where small children are present, for refusing to wax his genitals because he is male -- initiated a Twitter fight with free speech activist and winner of the 2018 Harry Weldon Canadian Values Award Lindsay Shepherd by attacking her reproductive capacity as an actual, biological female. This conflict resulted in her, Lindsay Shepherd, and only her, being permanently banned from Twitter because Shepherd described Yaniv as male in the course of the consequent dispute. Here is Shepherd's account of the details:

However, barely a week later, despite the officially permanent nature of her suspension, Shepherd's Twitter access was restored, with an apology from the company, following a large public backlash in a development that, as described in her follow-up video below, highlighted the arbitrary and subjective nature of the Twitter's content rules and their application. She also called the objectivity of much of the media coverage that she had initially received following her Twitter ban into question, highlighting double-standards in terms of who's contributions to the exchange in question were quoted and whose couldn't be repeated and so forth.

If there's an assertion I don't agree with in either of these descriptive videos, it's one from the first video above wherein Shepherd contends that, as far as official society is concerned, "trans people are above criticism". I believe that is a factually incorrect assessment of the situation. Had Yaniv been a trans-identified person who was biologically female and who complained about being "misgendered" by one or more men instead, it's unlikely that Twitter would have acted on those complaints. It is specifically the sex dynamics of this situation -- the fact that Yaniv is male and Shepherd is not -- that results in Yaniv receiving favorable treatment. Transgender politics simply serve to mask that reality, which is one I like to describe as male privilege.

ANYWAY, both Shepherd herself and the Post Millennial, which is a publication that Shepherd writes for from time to time, have argued that since Meghan Murphy's permanent ban from Twitter was on the same basic grounds, concerning the same person, her account should be reinstated as well (example 1, example 2). What do you think? Does Twitter apply their own rules fairly and equitably are arbitrarily? Should Meghan Murphy be un-banned, as Lindsay Shepherd was?
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 08-04-2019 at 07:36 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Common (08-04-2019),Rationalist (08-05-2019),Standing Wolf (08-04-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,575x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calling a male a man can get you banned from Twitter? Silly.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

donttread (08-04-2019),IMPress Polly (08-04-2019),MisterVeritis (08-05-2019),Rationalist (08-06-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've followed Linsay Shepard ever since she was harrassed wrongly by Wilfrid Laurier University for showing a video clip of Jordan Peterson arguing against identity politics--more complicated but good enough.

As for Twitter, my thoughts when she was banned was oh well Twitter can do whatever it pleases, and suffer the social consequences. When she was reinstated, ok, whatever.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,516x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Those who have followed my posts for some time know that Meghan Murphy, who runs the Feminist Current web site that I frequent and has become perhaps Canada's best-known feminist, was permanently banned from Twitter last year for so rudely "misgendering" a male pedophile named Jonathan Yaniv by using male pronouns to describe him. The Vancouver Public Library has been banned from participating in today's Pride events in Canada because they (barely) allowed her, along with Lee Lakeman (who works for Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter, which has now been de-funded for their longstanding policy of only hiring women and only admitting women and children) and other radical feminists to subsequently host a talk about gender identity this last January. (Every ticket sold.)

Recently, this same individual, Mr. Yaniv -- who has also filed 16 human rights lawsuits against various (mostly immigrant and religious minority) female beauticians who predominantly work out of their own homes where small children are present, for refusing to wax his genitals because he is male -- initiated a Twitter fight with free speech activist and winner of the 2018 Harry Weldon Canadian Values Award Lindsay Shepherd by attacking her reproductive capacity as an actual, biological female. This conflict resulted in her, Lindsay Shepherd, and only her, being permanently banned from Twitter because Shepherd described Yaniv as male in the course of the consequent dispute. Here is Shepherd's account of the details:

However, barely a week later, despite the officially permanent nature of her suspension, Shepherd's Twitter access was restored, with an apology from the company, following a large public backlash in a development that, as described in her follow-up video below, highlighted the arbitrary and subjective nature of the Twitter's content rules and their application. She also called the objectivity of much of the media coverage that she had initially received following her Twitter ban into question, highlighting double-standards in terms of who's contributions to the exchange in question were quoted and whose couldn't be repeated and so forth.

If there's an assertion I don't agree with in either of these descriptive videos, it's one from the first video above wherein Shepherd contends that, as far as official society is concerned, "trans people are above criticism". I believe that is a factually incorrect assessment of the situation. Had Yaniv been a trans-identified person who was biologically female and who complained about being "misgendered" by one or more men instead, it's unlikely that Twitter would have acted on those complaints. It is specifically the sex dynamics of this situation -- the fact that Yaniv is male and Shepherd is not -- that results in Yaniv receiving favorable treatment. Transgender politics simply serve to mask that reality, which is one I like to describe as male privilege.

ANYWAY, both Shepherd herself and the Post Millennial, which is a publication that Shepherd writes for from time to time, have argued that since Meghan Murphy's permanent ban from Twitter was on the same basic grounds, concerning the same person, her account should be reinstated as well (example 1, example 2). What do you think? Does Twitter apply their own rules fairly and equitably are arbitrarily? Should Meghan Murphy be un-banned, as Lindsay Shepherd was?

This is silly $#@!. The only thing i would add is that if public funds are involved in these shelters an appropriate amount should also be earmarked for men's services with male employees. But that is the only valid beef i can even conceive of in this.
    How trigger happy are these twitter bans?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I personally have no interest in Twitter or in social media generally, but since so many folks do, I would be interested to know exactly how such decisions - who to ban and for what reasons - are made. Have those in charge of such things sought to clarify their methods and standards?

Polly, as for your contention that the media tends to favor trans women, as opposed to trans men, and that this relates in some way to "male privilege" - you may be right. I've tried to find some statistics about relative percentages of one group and the other - thinking that this might be relevant to figuring out how and why this happens or doesn't - but I just can't. My casual perception is that male-to-female (to use an outdated term) transitions are much more common, but I might be mistaken about that.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I personally have no interest in Twitter or in social media generally, but since so many folks do, I would be interested to know exactly how such decisions - who to ban and for what reasons - are made. Have those in charge of such things sought to clarify their methods and standards?

Polly, as for your contention that the media tends to favor trans women, as opposed to trans men, and that this relates in some way to "male privilege" - you may be right. I've tried to find some statistics about relative percentages of one group and the other - thinking that this might be relevant to figuring out how and why this happens or doesn't - but I just can't. My casual perception is that male-to-female (to use an outdated term) transitions are much more common, but I might be mistaken about that.
    Overall, that perception appears to still be accurate. The most recent statistic on that I saw came out of the UK and is now a year old (which is an eternity in the life of transgender politics, considering that the number of trans-identified people is multiplying annually), but that survey data indicated that 73% of people who identified as trans were biologically male. However, there are a rapidly growing number of girls and young women identifying as transgender today as well. Some new data out of the UK I saw recently indicated that the number of children admitted for a gender reassignment transition in that country had doubled in the last year alone and that all of the growth was attributable to girls wanting to transition.

I've also observed an interesting contrast between the males and the females (defined biologically here): the males are mostly heterosexual while, by contrast, almost none of the females are heterosexual.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 08-04-2019 at 12:58 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-04-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,379x in 15,848 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transgender children?

That is just beyond wrong. It is one thing for society to appease a bunch of mentally ill adults, but to to do so with children is just savage.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (08-05-2019),Peter1469 (08-04-2019),Rationalist (08-05-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Overall, that perception appears to still be accurate. The most recent statistic on that I saw came out of the UK and is now a year old (which is an eternity in the life of transgender politics, considering that the number of trans-identified people is multiplying annually), but that survey data indicated that 73% of people who identified as trans were biologically male. However, there are a rapidly growing number of girls and young women identifying as transgender today as well. Some new data out of the UK I saw recently indicated that the number of children admitted for a gender reassignment transition in that country had doubled in the last year alone and that all of the growth was attributable to girls wanting to transition.

I've also observed an interesting contrast between the males and the females (defined biologically here): the males are mostly heterosexual while, by contrast, almost none of the females are heterosexual.
    I confess I'm a little unclear on what that last part means, in terms of sexual attraction. When you say that "almost none of the females are heterosexual", do you mean that most of the trans males - in other words, to fall back on the old terminology, which although perhaps not PC, I think makes it clearer to the average person, the female-to-male individuals - do you mean that they tend to be attracted to men, or to women?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I confess I'm a little unclear on what that last part means, in terms of sexual attraction. When you say that "almost none of the females are heterosexual", do you mean that most of the trans males - in other words, to fall back on the old terminology, which although perhaps not PC, I think makes it clearer to the average person, the female-to-male individuals - do you mean that they tend to be attracted to men, or to women?
    I'm referring to so-called "trans-men". Some 95% of "trans-men" would identify as lesbian or bisexual if not for a trans identity.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm referring to so-called "trans-men". Some 95% of "trans-men" would identify as lesbian or bisexual if not for a trans identity.
    I could be way off-base with this thought, but I would respect your opinion on it. While I understand and fully accept the fact that some individuals are, in effect, born with a brain that doesn't match the rest of them, do you think it's possible that many who identify as transsexuals are, in fact, simply bisexual, and are perhaps pressured to radical action by the "you have to be one or the other, you can't be both" idea that our society has been advancing for so long?

+ Reply to Thread