Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worlds of My Own.

I wanted to be a fiction writer since High School. Like any inspiring writer, I have written many fictional stories in my mind. A few of them ended up on paper. A Xerox copier enabled me to share some of the simple stories with my friends in 1988 -- 1994. Most of what I have written was for myself only. My writings are still somewhere within our house. They have been packed in 1998. They have not been unpacked ever since.

Some of the plots were very simple while others were quite complicated. Only a few simple ones were written. Serious story lines were set in fictional Civilizations. In some cases, the story lines were less important then fictional Civilisations themselves. I have worked out these Civilizations in considerable detail. Given my knowledge in STEM, I have even worked out the limits and abilities of some fictional technologies.

Some fictional Civilizations were set in the past and had low technological levels. These levels were somewhere between Middle Ages and Industrial Revolution. Others were set in near or distant future. These Civilizations were spanning the Solar System or the Galaxy.

Some Worlds and Civilizations had Magic. Magical powers follow their own rules and have their own limits. Many ancient folk tales gave Magic unlimited powers, which is impossible in many ways. In my Worlds, Magic follows rules similar to Electricity. Any MMORPG has very clear limits of Magic. In Runescape, Magic is primarily a weapon as strong as Ranged and Melee weapons. Unfortunately I am too weak to quit Runescape -- my Strength level is 88 while my Range level is 106 and Magic level is 109. I have not used any melee weapons for a few years.

The building blocks of my fictional Civilizations were modern and historical Civilizations from the many books I have read and not so many movies I have seen. In 1980s, my hobby was reading History books. We had a DVD player only since 1989. Many Historical events taking place in Reality have been dramatized and modified in fictional Worlds.

Very little in the original fictional Civilizations I have constructed came from other fictional authors. More recently, I do use other author's characters in my fiction. My favorite is Mary Shelly's Igor Frankenstein.

Music played an important part in my mental ``work". From late 1980s to early 2000s, I would take long walks with my earphones on. I took these walks almost daily. During these walks, I was mentally in my own fictional Civilizations. I have sort of kept Sabbath since 1997, thus I walked with earphones several hours a day, six days a week. Thank G-d, I was never a pedestrian party to any accident!

I am certainly not alone in designing fictional Civilizations. Given the popularity of Fan Fiction, there may be millions or tens of millions of people designing fictional Worlds in USA. There may be tens of millions or hundreds of millions of people designing fictional Worlds globally. Relatively few descriptions of these Worlds are ever recorded in any form.

Since the beginning of Computer Age and Internet Age, an interesting transformation took place within my inner World and in hundreds of millions of inner Worlds of others. All the fictional Worlds were eclipsed by MMORPGs. Unlike Real World, Runescape is interesting enough and dramatic enough. I became an avid player, but I lost interest in fictional Worlds of my own. Once in a while I do write a fictional story, but these are just relics of my past inner Worlds.

On a lighter note, I have written many satires and comedies within my mind. In these satires, my real life friends and foes, especially my High School and University instructors played comical roles. None of these roles were positive. Most of my friends, foes, and instructors were also given nicknames. I shared these nicknames only with my close friends. Once again, the Real Life has been boring, while casting my friends, foes, and instructors in satirical light was much more interesting.

In the first decade of this Century, I have started spending much more time reading Social Media arguments. Sometimes, I participate in them. I can use very strong and harsh language, but I do not recall engaging in any unprovoked attacks. In any case, I am a very avid reader, a moderate writer, and only an occasional flamer. I have engaged in flame wars on unmoderated forums, but I am more likely to leave a forum for a few months. In online arguments and debates I find the excitement I lack in mundane life. Probably tens of millions of others find excitement in Social Media as well.

One of the many drawbacks of Social Media is its effect on old hobbies. Given that Social Media provides enough excitement, there is no need to design fictional Worlds and Civilizations. I never played board games much, but these are also displaced by Social Media and myriads of online games. This is not a positive development. The Social Media may have destroyed tens of millions of Worlds built in millions of minds.

In this decade I did find several offline acquaintances. None of them became prototypes for fictional or even satirical characters. Perhaps I did not become a fictional or satirical character in one of their inner Worlds either. Social Media provides all the entertainment we need, but it robs people of interest both in Real World and in their own Fictional Worlds.

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting post. Most people, I think, have a running monologue in their minds. Some take a creative turn, others trudge along, and some relay those thoughts to paper.

Regardless of medium, or who may publish or not, if one does not release those thoughts some how, they tend to build up to an explosion.... usually as emotions. It used to be whacking a load of firewood or washing the car, mowing the lawn, running on the paths.

Now, it's unloading on unsuspecting forum participants.

As one author stated, one cannot eviscerate essential self. You will always retain bits and pieces, even of that which you eliminated.

I read, and I write. My writings are not some much stories, but release valves. One short page of bottled emotions, in a blank book. A psychologist would have a field day.

I find books that redirect my mind and open paths to new learning. While some books are pure brain numbing, they are a new world to live in.

Go find those boxes. Reread them. You can't eviscerate essential self.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-13-2019)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,247x in 12,373 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I remember sitting in front of the little manual typewriter my folks bought me, when I was twelve or thirteen, creating my own little stories and organizing them into what I guess you could call fanzines - except that I invented my own characters, rather than using those of others. My major influences were Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan books, which I discovered when I was about nine, and the Doc Savage stories, which had recently begun to be reprinted by Bantam. In high school, a few friends and I would write stories and pass them around for criticism and discussion.

There have been a few times since then, particularly in the late '70s, when I'd write some new things and try to work on or even finish stories I'd started years before. Aside from some probably overlong short stories, the most substantial piece I've ever done consists of a dozen or so chapters of a private eye novel I began a few decades ago and haven't looked at in nearly that long. Even if I never do anything else with it, I should probably ensure that it's preserved and passed down as a family curiosity; maybe a grandchild or other descendant will see fit to finish it someday, even if I never do.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-13-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keep writing Cc. Youll lose your creative spirit if you dont.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-13-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    ... or your mind.

The last fiction short story I wrote was not long before drones and GoPros became popular. It was the story of a rather lazy guy who hunted early in the morning from bed in his home with an armed drone buzzing about the woods some 30 miles away. As he was eating breakfast in bed, he shot and killed what looked to be a record-size bull elk, and then, getting ready to drive the 30 miles out into the woods to retrieve his prize, he noticed another drone had spied the dead elk. An aerial dogfight ensued -- or should have ensued. I can't remember the ending and I lost the story.on the internets. It would have been a good climactic drama in the story.

I have since indeed seen youtubes of drones firing mounted pistols, so all in my story was/is doable, just a few years ahead of its time, I guess you could say. It wouldn't surprise me if it is being done somewhere now.
    Last edited by Lummy; 08-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-13-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From about 2015:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    ... or your mind.

The last fiction short story I wrote was not long before drones and GoPros became popular. It was the story of a rather lazy guy who hunted early in the morning from bed in his home with an armed drone buzzing about the woods some 30 miles away. As he was eating breakfast in bed, he shot and killed what looked to be a record-size bull elk, and then, getting ready to drive the 30 miles out into the woods to retrieve his prize, he noticed another drone had spied the dead elk. An aerial dogfight ensued -- or should have ensued. I can't remember the ending and I lost the story.on the internets. It would have been a good climactic drama in the story.

I have since indeed seen youtubes of drones firing mounted pistols, so all in my story was/is doable, just a few years ahead of its time, I guess you could say. It wouldn't surprise me if it is being done somewhere now.
    Good stuff Lummy.
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I will! And I will share 3/4 of it with PoliticalForums!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    I will! And I will share 3/4 of it with PoliticalForums!
    Thank you ...
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-13-2019)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, my rants can be incoherent.

My nanoessays seem coherent -- I put much more work into them.

My short stories seem coherent.

I doubt I could ever write a long story.

+ Reply to Thread