User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Mann’s bogus “hockey stick” graph defamation lawsuit dismissed by the Supreme

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    skepticalmike's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Michael Mann’s bogus “hockey stick” graph defamation lawsuit dismissed by the Supreme Court.

Michael Mann sued another doctor for claiming that Mann's hockey stick was fake science. A British court dismissed the lawsuit and awarded the defendant the costs of his legal defense.

It isn't true that the "hysteria" about global warming has been based on the "hockey stick" graph. Climate scientists would still have a very credible case for projecting a dire future without this graph. Actually, the

science itself and the projections for future climate change are not dependent on this graph.

Many subsequent studies have produced a similar graph and several studies indicate that the current warming is globally synchronized, except for Antarctica, and unprecedented in the past 2000 years. Past periods of climate change during the past 2000 years were not globally synchronized.

The graph shown in the OP of Tim Ball's version is represented as a graph of Climatic Changes in Europe whereas the Hockey stick graph represents the entire globe. Why compare apples with oranges?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamooth View Post
    Mann's work is solid, having been replicated over and over.
    Replicating garbage doesn't change the fact that it is garbage.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (09-19-2019),Peter1469 (08-31-2019)

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalmike View Post
    It isn't true that the "hysteria" about global warming has been based on the "hockey stick" graph. Climate scientists would still have a very credible case for projecting a dire future without this graph. Actually, the

science itself and the projections for future climate change are not dependent on this graph.

Many subsequent studies have produced a similar graph and several studies indicate that the current warming is globally synchronized, except for Antarctica, and unprecedented in the past 2000 years. Past periods of climate change during the past 2000 years were not globally synchronized.

The graph shown in the OP of Tim Ball's version is represented as a graph of Climatic Changes in Europe whereas the Hockey stick graph represents the entire globe. Why compare apples with oranges?

Other than mamooth, I doubt anyone defends Mann's work these days.

True other global climate change model predictions show rising temps and thus, if generalized enough, a sort of hockey stick if the Y-axis is scaled to exaggerate a half degree of temp rise.

Generaliation is key here for indeed when you look at anything less than global modelling, such as Ball did for even as large an area as Europe, the global "hockey sticks" just aren't found. This, to me says something about the value of global models.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

True other global climate change model predictions show rising temps and thus, if generalized enough, a sort of hockey stick if the Y-axis is scaled to exaggerate a half degree of temp rise.

Generaliation is key here for indeed when you look at anything less than global modelling, such as Ball did for even as large an area as Europe, the global "hockey sticks" just aren't found. This, to me says something about the value of global models.
    I defend Mann's work. I only know of one insignificant statistical error in his analysis. There is no evidence of fraud that I am aware of.

Below is the original Hockey stick graph with error bars in light blue and the mean in dark blue. The green dots are from a later reconstruction, the pages 2k consortium (2013). The red lined is HADCRUT4 data from 1850-2013.

graph taken from Wikipedia
    Last edited by skepticalmike; 08-31-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,578x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incorrect.

Anyway, since all prior models fall short I predict you don't need to melt down.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,578x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is why climate science is unique. They forgo the scientific method.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (08-31-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why you are talking about models when the Hockey Stick is based on observational data. It has nothing to do with climate models. The hockey stick is found with climate models and it is found

with many different proxy studies combined with the temperature record from 1850-2000.

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why you are talking about models when the Hockey Stick is based on observational data. It has nothing to do with climate models. The hockey stick is found with climate models and it is found

with many different proxy studies combined with the temperature record from 1850-2000.
    Read this, assuming you are at all interested in the truth: Michael Mann "Hockey Stick" Update: Now Definitively Established To Be Fraud
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (08-31-2019),Peter1469 (08-31-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That is why climate science is unique. They forgo the scientific method.
    How is the scientific method not followed in the pursuit of climate science?

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people can be manipulated by anti-climate science propaganda. It is evident on the 3 forums that I am a member. People just parrot what they hear on their

favorite news outlets and never seem to have any skepticism about what they are reading or hearing. I treat climate science as purely a scientific issue and never concern myself about the economic or

political consequences.

I may give up visiting these forums in the future. No one ever seem to change their minds and it is a source of stress. I come here for a little excitement every once and a while and my mood

picks up for a few days but then I feel depressed. It is like a mild manic-depressive experience.

Last edited by skepticalmike; 08-31-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,666
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,164x in 6,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I defend Mann's work. I only know of one insignificant statistical error in his analysis. There is no evidence of fraud that I am aware of.

Below is the original Hockey stick graph with error bars in light blue and the mean in dark blue. The green dots are from a later reconstruction, the pages 2k consortium (2013). The red lined is HADCRUT4 data from 1850-2013.

graph taken from Wikipedia
    No scientist will defend Mann’s shoddy work. No scientist can recreate it because unlike ethical science, Mann refuses to realease all the information.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

+ Reply to Thread