Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I'm skeptical of the science and I'm skeptical of some of the stories as far as elite fitness is concerned. For me, the only respectable veganism is an ethical veganism. I don't need anyone to tell me I can be Mr. Universe on a vegan diet. I'm going to call BS on that for several reasons but that's immaterial. I can meet you half way regarding how we raise animals. It's offensive and I made a choice as a Christian to change my habits. Most Americans would also do well to eat less meat in so far as it comes at the expense of other foods.

The ethics are, as you say, admirable, and I've often wondered if ethics didn't originally play some role in the development of kosher meat rules. We have some prime acreage for hunting and we're often asked by hunters if they can hunt here. We turn them down except for one situation -- if they've already wounded the animal and are tracking it. In that case, yes, they may track it on our land because it's the ethical thing to allow.

I don't think we all need to strive to be vegan athletes, but there are some misconceptions in the meat-eating world, such as thinking vegans won't get enough protein, which may (or may not) be addressed by the upcoming film. The lack of B12 is an obvious concern, but that, too, is easy to overcome.

To my way of thinking, food flavor is simple science, and I can create a vegan burger that's just as tasty as a hamburger, but with twice the protein and none of the artery-clogging fat. Of course, it must be eaten with fries (I mean, that's a given, right?) and that may cancel out its health properties. The addition of nutritional yeast gives it a "meaty" flavor and offers more B12 than the original.

Eventually, I think people will move toward more veganism, but I think it will be a slow move -- at least a hundred years.

What I'm excited about with the upcoming film is that -- if it shows what I think it will -- it will demonstrate that going meatless (for those in the emotional vicinity) can be a healthy option.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Mister D (09-07-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    The ethics are, as you say, admirable, and I've often wondered if ethics didn't originally play some role in the development of kosher meat rules. We have some prime acreage for hunting and we're often asked by hunters if they can hunt here. We turn them down except for one situation -- if they've already wounded the animal and are tracking it. In that case, yes, they may track it on our land because it's the ethical thing to allow.

I don't think we all need to strive to be vegan athletes, but there are some misconceptions in the meat-eating world, such as thinking vegans won't get enough protein, which may (or may not) be addressed by the upcoming film. The lack of B12 is an obvious concern, but that, too, is easy to overcome.

To my way of thinking, food flavor is simple science, and I can create a vegan burger that's just as tasty as a hamburger, but with twice the protein and none of the artery-clogging fat. Of course, it must be eaten with fries (I mean, that's a given, right?) and that may cancel out its health properties. The addition of nutritional yeast gives it a "meaty" flavor and offers more B12 than the original.

Eventually, I think people will move toward more veganism, but I think it will be a slow move -- at least a hundred years.

What I'm excited about with the upcoming film is that -- if it shows what I think it will -- it will demonstrate that going meatless (for those in the emotional vicinity) can be a healthy option.
    You can definitely get all the nutrition you need as a vegan but you have to supplement and plan things out a little more thoroughly than most of us are used to. That brings me back to the ethics. Veganism takes a lot of discipline (at least at first) and I think it's much easier to deal with the limitations of a vegan diet if you're morally committed to it. If you're just doing it because you think it's healthier or just want to make a healthy change I think you're setting yourself up for failure.

Granted, if "meat eating" means greasy burgers and fatty cuts of meat on a regular basis you're probably better off changing your lifestyle but it doesn't have to be. For athletes, especially elite athletes, it certainly isn't. I eat 6 good eggs a week
    on average
    and about a pound of something else be it grass fed beef, chicken, lean pork, turkey, white fish or salmon. I haven't crunched the numbers but I'd estimate that 2/3rds of my protein comes from legumes, wheat and dairy. And I still have to supplement with whey protein bars to consistently reach my protein goals.

Regarding the film, you know, I suspect body building to the extent that guys like Arnold take it to just isn't healthy regardless of diet. I might be wrong but my intuition says that's just not right.
    Last edited by Mister D; 09-07-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-08-2019),Peter1469 (09-07-2019)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man has canine teeth.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-08-2019)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Man has canine teeth.
    Don't forget nipples. And in life's early stages in utero, a tail.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

alexa (09-08-2019),FindersKeepers (09-08-2019)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Wow. Just...wow.

I'm to the point in my life where I may have to make some changes if I want to live another fifteen years instead of just five or less. Honestly, I'd miss the meat, but...
    Once upon a time in the Land of Cotton one of my great fears was that I would not live to be really old. After seeing my dad and dead grandma die in the manner many elders do ? Now one of my great fears is that I will live to be really old
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-08-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Don't forget nipples. And in life's early stages in utero, a tail.
    Sure thing. Now about the canine teeth...

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Once upon a time in the Land of Cotton one of my great fears was that I would not live to be really old. After seeing my dad and dead grandma die in the manner many elders do ? Now one of my great fears is that I will live to be really old
    In my dad's family no one died younger than age 85. They were all meat eaters. That proved nothing.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quip in the trailer about gladiators is a bit misleading. Look up why they switched to the barley diet.

Fat. Carbs make you fat. They needed a layer of fat.

They also added calcium to their diet. And I have not found one publication that claims that they didn't eat meat. All of them claim they ate very little animal protein.
    You are wrong about police.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-12-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,580x in 94,412 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eat a lot less meat these days- less than 16 ounces a week - most weeks. I eat at least a dozen eggs a week, sometimes more. And like Mr. D I spend more to get free range / non-factory farmed meat, except I do it more for the health benefits than ethics. I eat a lot of veggies/fruits and a moderate amount of grains and other starchy carbs.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread