Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    The shell on eggs today are so thin, that they almost crack when you take them out of the carton, just the lightest taps and the crack open. Jumbo eggs get smaller and smaller it seems.

Many years ago I would buy jumbo eggs and they were 100 calories each, today I think they are 70 calories each and the shells were far thicker.

Used to get huge brown eggs even at supermarkets, now what they do have are half the size.

What the hell happened to eggs
    Cages. Plus note the color of the yolk. A free range organic egg has a thick deep yellow, almost orange yolk. Factory egg yolks and whites are thin and watery and pale yellow and tasteless.

I also try to get free range eggs but even then that may or may not actually mean they are what I call "yard eggs" but simply eggs where the hens are not in cages but still in small enclosures. When I lived in TN I would get my eggs from my neighbors (everyone but us it seems had chickens) who always let their chickens run free. (I had one neighbor who's chickens actually roosted in the trees around his house.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Common (09-07-2019),Peter1469 (09-07-2019)

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    jigglepete's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,792x in 2,269 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a chicken farmer that comes down out of the hills once every couple of months and brings a few dozen cartons of eggs to the bar and gives them away, she has multiple breeds of chickens so the eggs are all different colors, sizes, and flavors, best eggs I've ever had! She recently found a buyer for her entire stock, and that was sad, sad news indeed...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jigglepete For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-07-2019),stjames1_53 (09-07-2019)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,596
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,717x in 16,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People that can cook well have my admiration. People who not only cook but take it to an art form amaze me. A lot of qualities have to present. Preparation, patience, organization etc and then it goes into the flames of hell inside or on top of stove and as a metaphor loaded dream , reappears as the sum of many parts. " parts" that ate not all just ingrediants, but a human skill. I would enjoy the creative part of cooking but without the aforementioned twould be a recipe for disaster. Pardon me for having so little sense to add to the thread but..at least twas not nonsense. I am man , see me roar then call in for chinese. " Chinese " food, not people
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The shell on eggs today are so thin, that they almost crack when you take them out of the carton, just the lightest taps and the crack open. Jumbo eggs get smaller and smaller it seems.

Many years ago I would buy jumbo eggs and they were 100 calories each, today I think they are 70 calories each and the shells were far thicker.

Used to get huge brown eggs even at supermarkets, now what they do have are half the size.

What the hell happened to eggs
    Very Large eggs have 80 calories. Large eggs have 70. I rarely see Jumbo eggs but I think I know what you're talking about. I haven't noticed any change in shell thickness but I was surprised by how thick the shells on duck eggs are. Speaking of which, that's what I reach for when I want Jumbo eggs.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,586x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a carton of freerange brown organic eggs in the fridge, I looked at the carton all it says organically fed and humanely raised and the name of the farm but it has a commercial feel for some reason
    It should. The market has grown considerably over the last decade or so. That said, "organic" and humanely raised" mean nothing when it's just the producer saying so. I always look for independent certification. The Wholefoods animal welfare scale is also very helpful.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-07-2019)

+ Reply to Thread