Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I have an idea -- and it's not going to be popular.

Let's see how long all of us can go without insulting another poster. Let's see if we can share our opinions about issues and subjects and not insinuate that another poster is a moron.

Recently, we've seen a lot of members get worked up -- and it's obvious feelings are getting hurt. It's pretty much a given that you have to have a thick skin to be on a forum like this, but try this -- try responding to a poster you don't like by pointing out something good about that poster. Watch how quickly that takes the wind out of their sails, and see how it can change the conversation around.

Just an idea.
    My feelings aren't being hurt. No one is going to do that who isn't already doing that.
    Last edited by Captdon; 09-13-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-13-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    One problem - among several - is that not everyone seems to define "insult" in the same way - or else they appear to believe that when they do something it's okay, but if someone turns the tables on them and does the exact same thing, they've been insulted. There are members who will go on all day about how the other guy's "posting style" is this or that, and how he or she has a tendency to utilize some fallacious argument or other...but if someone points out something that they do that's wrong or annoying, suddenly you're guilty of an "ad hom". I mean, there's thin-skinned, and then there's ridiculously thin-skinned.

Yes, people do define insults differently. Some consider attacking the message equivalent to attacking the messenger. For example, if a logical flaw is ppointed out, like ad hom, some people take that personally and get upset about it and blame the one who points out the flaw in the post (not the poster). That is being thin-skinned.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-13-2019),Collateral Damage (09-13-2019)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    I tried it. It made no difference.

What I see is many try for a few posts or half a day. Not good enough.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I give what I get is a common statement by many but it's doubtful any can go back and find the start of the give and take.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,992x in 55,613 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let's see how long all of us can go without insulting another poster. Let's see if we can share our opinions about issues and subjects and not insinuate that another poster is a moron.

Recently, we've seen a lot of members get worked up -- and it's obvious feelings are getting hurt. It's pretty much a given that you have to have a thick skin to be on a forum like this, but try this -- try responding to a poster you don't like by pointing out something good about that poster. Watch how quickly that takes the wind out of their sails, and see how it can change the conversation around.

Just an idea.
    It’ll never happen. It’s a good thought though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (09-13-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But... some of the other posters ARE morons.

Recently, we've seen a lot of members get worked up -- and it's obvious feelings are getting hurt. It's pretty much a given that you have to have a thick skin to be on a forum like this, but try this -- try responding to a poster you don't like by pointing out something good about that poster.

And if there is nothing good about that poster? I mean, seriously... there are a few people here who no matter how hard I look, I can find nothing redeeming about them. I tolerate them and try to be not too offensive toward them because forum etiquette says I am supposed to, but face to face, I wouldn't piss in their mouths if their tonsils were on fire.

Watch how quickly that takes the wind out of their sails, and see how it can change the conversation around.

Just an idea.

You ask much, but since it is you...
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-13-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Last comments.

One, you can't change others, only yourself just as you can never win an argument on the Interweb.

Two, you have to allow for a certain amount of snark but constant snark touches on trolling. (And good God some need to learn what trolling means!)

Three, as others have said, attack the message not the messenger if for no other reason than the opposite is illogical and unreasonable in any civil argument.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    One problem - among several - is that not everyone seems to define "insult" in the same way - or else they appear to believe that when they do something it's okay, but if someone turns the tables on them and does the exact same thing, they've been insulted. There are members who will go on all day about how the other guy's "posting style" is this or that, and how he or she has a tendency to utilize some fallacious argument or other...but if someone points out something that they do that's wrong or annoying, suddenly you're guilty of an "ad hom". I mean, there's thin-skinned, and then there's ridiculously thin-skinned.

Most of the time when one of the crybabies here goes running to the mods saying they were insulted, it is because I offered and honest, straight up opinion. If they don't like it, they should get better.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-13-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    But... some of the other posters ARE morons.
    And if there is nothing good about that poster? I mean, seriously... there are a few people here who no matter how hard I look, I can find nothing redeeming about them.
    LOL -- I think it's easy to see just one side of folks on forums like this. But, I think if we understood that everyone has come to their feelings and decisions based on the experiences they've had in life, I think it becomes easier to relate. You're not one of the ones who intentionally pokes and prods others -- you offer succinct posts that cut right to the heart of the matter.

I mean more like the tag-teaming that goes on. I get it -- and I've been a part of it more times than I can remember, but it's kind of a kick-them-while-they're-down thing. Maybe I'm mellowing with age. There's got to be something good about everyone. I'm not sure if the nation's political divisiveness is affecting social media or if social media had created the nation's political divisiveness. Maybe both.

I tolerate them and try to be not too offensive toward them because forum etiquette says I am supposed to, but face to face, I wouldn't piss in their mouths if their tonsils were on fire.
    Well, that brings up a visual that's not making my cream of mushroom soup taste better.
    You ask much, but since it is you...
    I only ask much because I've come to expect much from you. Much more than I expect from say -------- okay, I'd break my own rule if I said the name I'm thinking...
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (09-13-2019),Dr. Who (09-13-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Most of the time when one of the crybabies here goes running to the mods saying they were insulted, it is because I offered and honest, straight up opinion. If they don't like it, they should get better.
    I never report anything. Well, not if it's against me. I know I've reported at least once in the past when someone was way out of hand concerning another poster.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-13-2019)

+ Reply to Thread