Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    The one thing Science does not do that Religion does is to invoke the supernatural.
    Science can't do that. It has no way of doing so.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Sure they do. They don't speculate on anything. The Big Bang is a fact, they say. They claim everything they say is true. Science doesn't have any explanation.
    The Big Bang is not fact, and the theory of evolution might very well be substantially wrong. They don't care. I don't know why they are becoming so dogmatic.

You are absolutely correct. At the end of the day, science is no better than religion or any other method of dealing with the unknown. In that, religion is superior.
    Last edited by Lummy; 09-17-2019 at 11:03 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-19-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,679
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,714x in 16,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Seems a little silly to argue about the tenets of myths. We might as well throw in what the Easter Rabbit thinks as well.
    I like the Easter Bunny. I go to him for spiritual advice. You know, on occasion...
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-19-2019),FindersKeepers (09-18-2019)

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,857x in 10,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Mmm ... well, at some point the corruption has to ruin whatever it is it is corrupting. Yes? But you don't really need to go there.
    Corruption didn't make Judaism wrong anymore than corruption made the Catholic Church wrong. Jesus wanted to clean up the faith the Jewish leaders had thrown away. Reading the NT shows Jesus walking away from the Jews. He didn't do that until he saw it was useless to fight the leaders.

Now, this is pretty simplified. I'm not delving into that much of this.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Corruption didn't make Judaism wrong anymore than corruption made the Catholic Church wrong. Jesus wanted to clean up the faith the Jewish leaders had thrown away. Reading the NT shows Jesus walking away from the Jews. He didn't do that until he saw it was useless to fight the leaders.

Now, this is pretty simplified. I'm not delving into that much of this.
    You're the only one suggesting judaism was wrong. However, jews of that age apparently thought other jews of that age were wrong. Still do. I don't know what it was and don't care beyond my remarks in the OP, but it was badly fractured and apparently regressing.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Big Bang is not fact, and the theory of evolution might very well be substantially wrong. They don't care. I don't know why they are becoming so dogmatic.
    All available evidence suggests that both the Big Bang and evolution happened. If, as many do, you choose to believe that an intelligent God directed either or both to happen, Science has no problem with that. By believing in God, you're not contradicting anything Science has to say on those subjects, nor does Science insist on or support atheism.

I think that much of the distrust and antagonism directed at Science by believers is based on a misunderstanding of what Science is attempting to do - which is to show the what and the how of the natural world, without necessarily delving into the why, let alone the ultimate Why.

You are absolutely correct. At the end of the day, science is no better than religion or any other method of dealing with the unknown. In that, religion is superior.
    Except that Science deals with the best observable evidence, and whenever possible with testing its theories by experimentation. Religious faith is just that - faith. They are two entirely different animals or realms.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,857x in 10,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All available evidence suggests that both the Big Bang and evolution happened. If, as many do, you choose to believe that an intelligent God directed either or both to happen, Science has no problem with that. By believing in God, you're not contradicting anything Science has to say on those subjects, nor does Science insist on or support atheism.

I think that much of the distrust and antagonism directed at Science by believers is based on a misunderstanding of what Science is attempting to do - which is to show the what and the how of the natural world, without necessarily delving into the why, let alone the ultimate Why.

Except that Science deals with the best observable evidence, and whenever possible with testing its theories by experimentation. Religious faith is just that - faith. They are two entirely different animals or realms.
    What's the evidence that the Big Bang Theory is true.

I;d like to know how man survived for 3.2 million years without leaving a trace except for one corpse. You go back more than about 30,000 and you hit a wall. For 3.2 million years man made no impression on the world. Evolution may be true, but the missing 3.2 million years says otherwise.

Science once said bleeding was a cure. Then they found out it was something else. There's your science.

Believe what you want. It won't change what I believe.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. It's easy to use your imagination when it comes to religious mythology; after all, that's what the folks did who started it all, however many thousands of years ago.
    But what if religious teachings have just been misinterpreted over time? What if they didn't have anything to do with the fairy tale that they have been turned into? If you take the teachings literally they are not fairytale-ish.

Take post #2 for example and suppose the word Satan means ignorance. This changes the meaning quite substantially and it removes it from the realm of fairytale. It takes it from being about an evil fallen angel who makes us do bad things. It instead makes it be that our own ignorance is what they call Satan. The result of ignorance would be ego, ego being our false sense of self and other.

Ego and ignorance makes us see the world through a filter instead of seeing it just as it is. This makes sense when post 2 say that Satan was a deceiver and a liar.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

+ Reply to Thread