Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great catch, nathan! I'm going to email this story to all my friends in high places who eat global warming liars for lunch. Thanks!

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalmike View Post
    I don't believe that the sky is falling and we are all going to die. I believe that humanity still has time to prevent very serious damage to the environment but the task will be difficult. The

problem will be compounded by a rise in human population during the 21st century (7.7 billion in 2019 with 11.2 billion projected in 2100).

from Wikipedia:

The median estimate for future growth sees the world population reaching 8.6 billion in 2030, 9.8 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion by 2100[1] assuming a continuing decrease in average fertility rate from 2.5 births per woman in 2010–2015 to 2.2 in 2045–2050 and to 2.0 in 2095–2100, according to the medium-variant projection.[1] With longevity trending towards uniform and stable values worldwide, the main driver of future population growth is the evolution of the fertility rate

What do you mean by "this hogwash has been going on for almost a century now"? Even though the newspaper article is legitimate except for the last sentence, the OP is propaganda. It is

intended to cast doubt on the projections of climate scientists. The melting of Arctic sea ice will not significantly effect sea levels.
    I used to enjoy "Mother Earth News" and would simply ignore their leftest bent on just about every topic. They did have good ideas about organic gardening practices which I was trying to follow. Then the editorial in one issue was that (paraphrased) "Oh My God, there are just too many people on the planet and some will have to go". Of course, the ones that needed to go were to be determined by the elitist in charge. First of all I thought the Malthusian Doctrine had been debunked many times over and completely laid to rest. Secondly, I saw shades of Hitler's master race. So, I immediately canceled my subscription and haven't looked at one since.

I see your fears of a rise in population along the same lines. We have to reduce the number of people on the planet to some optimum number as determined by "progressive" thinkers. And you accuse conservatives of being fascist!

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    skepticalmike's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    I read the title as "this is a report pertaining to global climate change" -- in other words, a report falling into the category of global climate change, see, and so there was nothing inaccurate about it regardless of the locality being discussed. You would seem to suppose that a rise in sea level in one part of the ocean does not necessarily mean a sea level rise elsewhere. LOL. I don't. Not on this planet.
    Here is the original article. It is different from the OP because there is no mention of sea level rise in the original article. It says nothing about global climate change.

From Earth Observatory of Singapore:
    https://www.earthobservatory.sg/faq-...ame-everywhere

Why will sea level rise not be the same everywhere?

Sea level is rising because of global warming, but this rise is not the same everywhere on Earth. Three factors influence the sea level changes locally:
    • Temperatures – Hot water is more voluminous than cold water, hence sea level may rise more in the Tropics.
    • Winds – The dominant winds in a region affect the shape of the seas.
    • Oceanic currents – Global warming can cause changes in oceanic currents, which would have a direct impact on local sea level rise.
    The coastlines’ shape and the tectonic settings can also affect the response of a given location to sea level change.

Even though the oceans are all connected, sea level does not rise or fall uniformly over the planet. The map above shows where average sea level in 2011 was above or below the long-term average. Places where sea level rose up to 8 inches higher than the 1993-2011 average are dark blue, average levels are white, and places where sea level fell below average are brown. Courtesy of NOAA.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're talking about man manipulating the weather on a grand scale (are you?), I think you can be assured that man's measurable impact on climate is somewhere in the neighborhood of negligible to nil, as is any measurable impact he might make trying to change it
    I am not talking about man manipulating the weather.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I used to enjoy "Mother Earth News" and would simply ignore their leftest bent on just about every topic. They did have good ideas about organic gardening practices which I was trying to follow. Then the editorial in one issue was that (paraphrased) "Oh My God, there are just too many people on the planet and some will have to go". Of course, the ones that needed to go were to be determined by the elitist in charge. First of all I thought the Malthusian Doctrine had been debunked many times over and completely laid to rest. Secondly, I saw shades of Hitler's master race. So, I immediately canceled my subscription and haven't looked at one since.
    I see your fears of a rise in population along the same lines. We have to reduce the number of people on the planet to some optimum number as determined by "progressive" thinkers. And you accuse conservatives of being fascist!
    I do fear a rising population because of the very negative consequences this will have on future generations and the environment. I am an advocate for lower birth rates.

I have never used the word fascist to describe conservatives.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not talking about man manipulating the weather.
    Then you're talking nonsense. Man manipulating the weather, if it occurs, and it might to a certain minute extent intentionally, I guess, would be the only way man-caused global warming could be brought about. In other words, if you're not talking about man intentionally manipulating the weather but by pollution or say, by breathing, then you're talking rubbish.

Any real climate change is natural, probably cyclical on a geologic time table, and you and the others of your overeducated ilk cannot change it. You're constant musings are a joke.

Now, on the off chance that some small piece of the earth's weather can be intentionally changed by man for any length of time, which it can't, and it happens, which it won't, that outlaw faction, whoever they are, is in very deep trouble.

What is wrong with you?
    Last edited by Lummy; 10-06-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why will sea level rise not be the same everywhere?

Sea level is rising because of global warming, but this rise is not the same everywhere on Earth. Three factors influence the sea level changes locally:
    • Temperatures – Hot water is more voluminous than cold water, hence sea level may rise more in the Tropics.
    • Winds – The dominant winds in a region affect the shape of the seas.
    • Oceanic currents – Global warming can cause changes in oceanic currents, which would have a direct impact on local sea level rise.
    The coastlines’ shape and the tectonic settings can also affect the response of a given location to sea level change.
    Even though the oceans are all connected, sea level does not rise or fall uniformly over the planet. The map above shows where average sea level in 2011 was above or below the long-term average. Places where sea level rose up to 8 inches higher than the 1993-2011 average are dark blue, average levels are white, and places where sea level fell below average are brown. Courtesy of NOAA.
    Boloney. The moon affects the tides, and that's it, just as you learned in grade school -- that is, if you attended grade school. The moon is all there is at play in your scheme, except that you've omitted it entirely. LOL

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this what we are finally reaping from what we've sewn in a generation of computer gamers?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you're talking nonsense. Man manipulating the weather, if it occurs, and it might to a certain minute extent intentionally, I guess, would be the only way man-caused global warming could be brought about. In other words, if you're not talking about man intentionally manipulating the weather but by pollution or say, by breathing, then you're talking rubbish.

Any real climate change is natural, probably cyclical on a geologic time table, and you and the others of your overeducated ilk cannot change it. You're constant musings are a joke.

Now, on the off chance that some small piece of the earth's weather can be intentionally changed by man for any length of time, which it can't, and it happens, which it won't, that outlaw faction, whoever they are, is in very deep trouble.

What is wrong with you?
    I am talking about humans changing the climate which is different from humans manipulating the weather. To manipulate means to control or influence in a skillful manner.

Why can't humans change the climate?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 120x in 98 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boloney. The moon affects the tides, and that's it, just as you learned in grade school -- that is, if you attended grade school. The moon is all there is at play in your scheme, except that you've omitted it entirely. LOL
    The moon only causes short term fluctuations in sea level.

There are also other factors not mentioned previously: the changing gravitational field at the earth's surface caused by melting glaciers as the planet warms and land sinking or rising under the oceans.

+ Reply to Thread