Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    First of all, I don't know what it means to say that a country "values" all humans. Secondly, I don't think it is true what you say about America or Canada. Look at what we spend on the needy. We have a system of free healthcare, education, housing etc. We all have our warts, our successes and our failures. We have certain constitutionally guaranteed rights that Canadians don't have. We have a massive safety net -- just look at the numbers -- the fact that it isn't to your liking isn't really relevant. We have legislated anti-discrimination laws for race, sex, national origin, age, handicapped. We have forced equality in access, jobs, care, housing etc. To say we don't "value" humans is ludicrous -- unless you want to talk about the death penalty and the massive baby-killing machine we have here and all over the world. Then, I'd agree.
    Of course USA is not without virtue, but USA could do better. Poor free people and all prisoners live extremely miserable lives.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,033x in 24,872 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    Of course USA is not without virtue, but USA could do better. Poor free people and all prisoners live extremely miserable lives.
    Everybody could do better. I don't know what "extremely miserable lives" means. These are such vague terms.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody could do better. I don't know what "extremely miserable lives" means. These are such vague terms.
    Many people here are homeless. About 27 million have no medical insurance. Many people turn to drugs.

Prisoners suffer greatly.

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Many people here are homeless. About 27 million have no medical insurance. Many people turn to drugs.

Prisoners suffer greatly.

A major cause of homelessness is liberal housing restrictions. Rich liberals insist on restricting housing development and that drives prices too high for the poor.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people here are homeless. About 27 million have no medical insurance. Many people turn to drugs. Prisoners suffer greatly.
    People aren't homeless b/c of the government. There are a myriad of reasons. In Ohio, we have scores of empty public housing.

90% of Americans have health insurance. https://www.americashealthrankings.o...omen/state/ALL We have poor people health insurance, we have handicapped people health insurance and old people health insurance. It's there.

People turn to drugs b/c they don't have health insurance? I can't find a citation for that.

Prisoners suffer greatly? No. It's true that they aren't happy. They shouldn't be happy, they are in prison. Everything that I have read, the supermax prison ADX gets the most attention and it's the inmates that do themselves harm. This is the worst of the worst -- Ted Kaczynksi, Richard Reid and Terry Nichols. I know people that have been in prison and the protections are there, you have to ask for it.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (10-04-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People aren't homeless b/c of the government. There are a myriad of reasons. In Ohio, we have scores of empty public housing.

90% of Americans have health insurance. https://www.americashealthrankings.o...omen/state/ALL We have poor people health insurance, we have handicapped people health insurance and old people health insurance. It's there.

People turn to drugs b/c they don't have health insurance? I can't find a citation for that.

Prisoners suffer greatly? No. It's true that they aren't happy. They shouldn't be happy, they are in prison. Everything that I have read, the supermax prison ADX gets the most attention and it's the inmates that do themselves harm. This is the worst of the worst -- Ted Kaczynksi, Richard Reid and Terry Nichols. I know people that have been in prison and the protections are there, you have to ask for it.
    1). I am grateful to the State for providing at least some help to people in need.

2). Many people turn to drugs due to lack of adequate health care.

3). In USA prisoners do suffer greatly. About 80,000 people are in solitary confinement lasting months or years.

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'd agree that there are homeless people everywhere even when there is plenty of housing. There always will be. But the number increases when restrictions are placed on housing and apartment development by cities simply to please rich liberals. This has been shown to be the case in at least Seattle and San Francisco.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1). I am grateful to the State for providing at least some help to people in need.

2). Many people turn to drugs due to lack of adequate health care.

3). In USA prisoners do suffer greatly. About 80,000 people are in solitary confinement lasting months or years.
    That is not true relative to solitary confinement. It is illegal. I posted links previously on this issue. You were mistaken and wrong. I would respond to more of your post but I am walking into the courthouse to try to do some justice.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (10-04-2019)

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,854
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,749x in 3,852 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is more complicated than this, but many are on the streets because we make it acceptable. Because we allow it. Because its easier than working.

There is no tough love anymore. THIS IS A PROBLEM! The excuse society police have killed this tool.

I think our school system is starting to figure some things out. We need to teach trades at the HS level. How to manage your finances as core classes. We need to teach a $5K Community College degree transfers to most 4 year institutions. We should be doing the same in prisons. The days of prisons as punishments and not reform opportunities is killing us.

But hell we can't even accept an election result without massive fit throwing.

Now there are obviously mental issues involved in some cases. That is a little different to me. As I said it is more complicated.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not true relative to solitary confinement. It is illegal. I posted links previously on this issue. You were mistaken and wrong. I would respond to more of your post but I am walking into the courthouse to try to do some justice.
    I am sorry -- I have information only from documentaries. I wish you best luck!

+ Reply to Thread