Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,715x in 16,155 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    On the surface, this article appears to be about race, but if you read carefully, you'll find out it's really about the public school system.
    https://townhall.com/columnists/walt...tions-n2553173

I found this interesting because just yesterday, we were discussing the sentences of the parents who paid to have their children's SAT scores changed.

A claim is made that the standard written test given to police officer applicants is biased against blacks. When the academic levels of blacks is compared to whites, this may be a factual claim. At least in Baltimore.

The point the author is trying to make, however, is that while extraneous circumstances may negatively affect black students disproportionately, teachers should not award diplomas if the students don't actually earn them. What's happening to these black students isn't too far from what the wealthy cheating parents did, which is made it appear as though the student was more advanced than he/she actually was.

My personal opinion about the police officer test is that a high level of writing skills isn't a prerequisite to being a good officer. I'd rather see mental and emotional tests that indicated how an applicant would react in a stress-type situation. I don't care if they misspell a few words or use incorrect grammar.

Back to public schools. I'm not a fan.
    I've thought about and agree with what you say about police officers demonstrating cool under fire, ability to assess and prioritize etc. What i never realized was how close the aforementioned resembles what makes a good pilot. A good pilot starts working the problem by addressing what's going to cause harm and working back wards. I'm almost embarressed I did not see the parellels until you said it in the manner in which you did. Thanks
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (10-09-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I've thought about and agree with what you say about police officers demonstrating cool under fire, ability to assess and prioritize etc. What i never realized was how close the aforementioned resembles what makes a good pilot. A good pilot starts working the problem by addressing what's going to cause harm and working back wards. I'm almost embarressed I did not see the parellels until you said it in the manner in which you did. Thanks
    I can see the parallels now that you bring them up. Both would require cool heads and the ability to think under pressure. I like the way you explained that a pilot addresses what could cause harm and then works backwards.

Maybe law enforcement training could take a closer look at pilot training.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the surface, this article appears to be about race, but if you read carefully, you'll find out it's really about the public school system ...

... I'm not a fan.
    From the article:
    I'm wondering when the black community will demand an end to an educational environment that condemns so many youngsters to mediocrity.
    Really?

The entire charade is absolutely ridiculous. Reams and reams and reams of information about why things don't work in Baltimore, or Chicago, or Detroit belies the BS. They are corrupt as hell, and even where they aren't, they are highly dysfunctional.

Watch a few youtubes of Detroit city council in session, for example. They get nothing done because all they do is bicker and wield rules of procedure against each other to establish dominance. Hello? That's just government as usual in these urban haunts, but it is government they understand.

To make a long, boring tirade short, as long as there is a democrat party, probably nothing is ever going to work. The public money stream, after all, depends on it. If in some small exceptional case something did work, they might make a movie about it, but thereafter they would squash it. The main goal of bureaucracy is to grow the bureaucracy.

Especially democrats depend on dysfunction to stimulate, grow and preserve their public revenue streams. In recent years, the democrat party itself has been outed as the root of the problems they purport to resolve, which means nothing is going to improve until the democrat party, as it exists, is abolished.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now consider Congress. It also has become corrupt and dysfunctional.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,451x in 11,740 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    On the surface, this article appears to be about race, but if you read carefully, you'll find out it's really about the public school system.
    https://townhall.com/columnists/walt...tions-n2553173

I found this interesting because just yesterday, we were discussing the sentences of the parents who paid to have their children's SAT scores changed.

A claim is made that the standard written test given to police officer applicants is biased against blacks. When the academic levels of blacks is compared to whites, this may be a factual claim. At least in Baltimore.

The point the author is trying to make, however, is that while extraneous circumstances may negatively affect black students disproportionately, teachers should not award diplomas if the students don't actually earn them. What's happening to these black students isn't too far from what the wealthy cheating parents did, which is made it appear as though the student was more advanced than he/she actually was.

My personal opinion about the police officer test is that a high level of writing skills isn't a prerequisite to being a good officer. I'd rather see mental and emotional tests that indicated how an applicant would react in a stress-type situation. I don't care if they misspell a few words or use incorrect grammar.

Back to public schools. I'm not a fan.
    Except that the ability to produce a legible and accurate report is essential to the entire process. If information is inaccurate or poorly written, there's a problem that could be serious enough to impact prosecution. The procedural and administrative aspects of working in law enforcement constitute a good portion of the job. I think it would also translate to tasks like using national databases. What if you lack the vocabulary or literacy level to include subtle information? What if in a report, you use the wrong word to describe a scenario rather than a synonym or similar word that would accurately describe it? When a judge or defense attorney or prosecutor cannot read your report and no longer respects you as an officer, what happens next? Credibility and respect are essential, and often communication is a big part of that.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Except that the ability to produce a legible and accurate report is essential to the entire process. If information is inaccurate or poorly written, there's a problem that could be serious enough to impact prosecution. The procedural and administrative aspects of working in law enforcement constitute a good portion of the job. I think it would also translate to tasks like using national databases. What if you lack the vocabulary or literacy level to include subtle information? What if in a report, you use the wrong word to describe a scenario rather than a synonym or similar word that would accurately describe it? When a judge or defense attorney or prosecutor cannot read your report and no longer respects you as an officer, what happens next? Credibility and respect are essential, and often communication is a big part of that.
    I agree that communication is important, and so is record keeping for prosecutorial reasons, but first and foremost, we need officers who can successfully interact with the public; officers who have the ability to verbally deescalate sticky situations and who are dedicated to serving and protecting.

Obviously, we can't completely eliminate all communication requirements, but I've worked for doctors in the past and it took an uncanny skill just to translate their chicken scratchings. That's why a lot of doctors went with recorded reports and transcriptionists are tasked with putting them on paper. My point is that there's usually a way around the problem of someone not being able to spell well.

I'm not suggesting we completely get rid of written tests. I'm suggesting we put them in perspective. This - to me - is not related to an affirmative action agenda, but rather to one of common sense.

I'd like to see a copy of the written test they're required to take right now -- that'd be the simplest way to determine whether it's suitable or it's overkill.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,379x in 27,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    One option is to hire technical writers to write the reports.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

+ Reply to Thread