Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,664x in 28,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    The average worker who retires gets back all the money they paid into SSI, plus the best interest available during the years when they were working and paying into the system, in less than six years.
    You better check your math again.
    On average you can't work 58 years from college graduation to today's retirement age of 70 and get your money back in 13 years where half of us will be dead. 12.4% of your salary goes in every month not 6.2%. Employers know that. The self-employed know that. The government knows that but government and dishonesty go hand in hand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (10-14-2019)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 793
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,094x in 12,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    You better check your math again.
    On average you can't work 58 years from college graduation to today's retirement age of 70 and get your money back in 13 years where half of us will be dead. 12.4% of your salary goes in every month not 6.2%. Employers know that. The self-employed know that. The government knows that but government and dishonesty go hand in hand.
    How much was the average retiree today making 40-50 years ago? You may be an exception - you may have begun your working life with and always had a great salary, but that certainly isn't typical. Before I joined the Navy in 1972 and began making a whopping $307.20 per month, I had a minimum wage job that paid $1.60 an hour. A lot of folks who are at or nearing retirement age today, even though they may have been earning some pretty good money for the past couple of decades, are in a similar situation.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I think it fluctuates by retirement age. The older you are when you retire, the more you get per year, but there's no guarantee, of course, how long a person will live.

As for me -- retirement age is still quite a ways off -- and I've already decided I never want to retire. I may cut back on my client-load, maybe travel a bit more, but I won't retire. So, I won't ever collect. I'm okay with that.
    That's silly. When you turn 65 or 66 or whatever the retirement age is at that time in your life, you can collect your SS and still work if you want. If most people your age think like that, then perhaps it will be less of a drain on the SS system.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-14-2019),FindersKeepers (10-14-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    That's silly. When you turn 65 or 66 or whatever the retirement age is at that time in your life, you can collect your SS and still work if you want. If most people your age think like that, then perhaps it will be less of a drain on the SS system.
    I didn't have a clue, but thank you for enlightening me! I'm not sure I want to draw SS, though. Something about it bothers me. If I get into a situation where I financially need to do so, I'll probably think differently. When you get to be retirement age, whether you retire or not, do you know if you have to go on Medicare? My mom has Medicare but she also has Blue Cross, which she's had for years. Would she be allowed to do just Blue Cross?
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't have a clue, but thank you for enlightening me! I'm not sure I want to draw SS, though. Something about it bothers me. If I get into a situation where I financially need to do so, I'll probably think differently. When you get to be retirement age, whether you retire or not, do you know if you have to go on Medicare? My mom has Medicare but she also has Blue Cross, which she's had for years. Would she be allowed to do just Blue Cross?
    You can certainly opt out of Medicare; it isn't compulsory, but I don't know whether you are able to ever get it back if you change your mind, at some point. It was a shock to me when I learned that if I wanted Medicare - just part A, which covers office visits, and B, which covers hospital care - I had to pay them over $1,600 a year, on top of everything I pay them now out of my salary and everything I've ever paid into the system during my working life. I would only drop Medicare if my primary insurance was paying a good percentage of my medical bills, and Medicare paying a relatively small percentage. If Medicare wasn't pulling its weight, so to speak, and I was losing money by shelling out (in my case) $406.50 every quarter to them, I'd consider dropping them like a hot rock.
    Last edited by Standing Wolf; 10-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (10-14-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm keeping a careful watch on every medical bill, claim, payment, etc., from that whole pneumonia business earlier this year. I have a file that's currently about two inches thick of paperwork, and I'm keeping it very organized - ensuring that my primary, secondary and tertiary (Tricare, for military retirees) insurance is billed for everything before I pay a cent out of pocket.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every so often, the government sends me a summary of what I made since I began working in 1972, broken down by year, amount of income and amount paid into SSI. You probably get them, too. I don't have one to look at, because I usually just toss them, but the next time I receive one I think I'll add up everything I paid in, try to estimate what I could have expected to accrue in interest over the years, and come up with a rough total. I suspect that if most people did that, they wouldn't come up with as much as they might think. There are exceptions, of course, but I believe the average person probably comes out ahead on SSI, when all is said and done.
    That's nonsense. I would have a lot more if invested in any stock market plan than the government gives me. I an talking about everyone.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/h...ty-trust-fund/
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-14-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every so often, the government sends me a summary of what I made since I began working in 1972, broken down by year, amount of income and amount paid into SSI. You probably get them, too. I don't have one to look at, because I usually just toss them, but the next time I receive one I think I'll add up everything I paid in, try to estimate what I could have expected to accrue in interest over the years, and come up with a rough total. I suspect that if most people did that, they wouldn't come up with as much as they might think. There are exceptions, of course, but I believe the average person probably comes out ahead on SSI, when all is said and done.
    If you live ten years you will. Otherwise you were screwed over. That's true any way.
    Last edited by Captdon; 10-14-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be an idiot not to collect. You never have to go on Medicare. Medicare isn't free either. My wife and I pay 300 dollars a month on top of what I paid in. You didn't ask but it relates to the thread.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (10-14-2019)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    It's just great that you came along..............?
    El Stumpo-ed.

+ Reply to Thread