User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climate Change Runs Up Against Green Fatigue

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,429x in 54,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yuk yuk yuk.

But such coordination requires collective central planning, and as a free marketeer I'm against it.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Pete7469's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 204x in 147 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yuk yuk yuk.

But such coordination requires collective central planning, and as a free marketeer I'm against it.

Not really, it requires little to no capital investment, the plan is already in place and it's not compulsory. You're free to participate or not. I just encourage people who believe that way to join the endeavor.

Think of it on the same level as Al Gore's cult, except that I don't earn a penny. In fact we all would end up keeping a lot more of our own money.

Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spring is in The Air

Canada's Arctic glaciers headed for unstoppable thaw

Canadian glaciers that are the world's third biggest store of ice after Antarctica and Greenland seem headed for an irreversible melt that will push up sea levels, scientists said on Thursday.

About 20 percent of the ice in glaciers, on islands such as Ellesmere or Devon off northern Canada, could vanish by the end of the 21st century in a melt that would add 3.5 cm (1.4 inch) to global sea levels, they said.

"We believe that the mass loss is irreversible in the foreseeable future" assuming continued climate change, the scientists, based in the Netherlands and the United States, wrote in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Lead author Jan Lenaerts of the University of Utrecht told Reuters that the trend seemed unstoppable because a thaw of white glaciers would expose dark-colored tundra that would soak up more of the sun's heat and further accelerate the melt.

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92613N20130307

Naaaaaaaaaa it's normal

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,429x in 54,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Spring is in The Air

Canada's Arctic glaciers headed for unstoppable thaw

Canadian glaciers that are the world's third biggest store of ice after Antarctica and Greenland seem headed for an irreversible melt that will push up sea levels, scientists said on Thursday.

About 20 percent of the ice in glaciers, on islands such as Ellesmere or Devon off northern Canada, could vanish by the end of the 21st century in a melt that would add 3.5 cm (1.4 inch) to global sea levels, they said.

"We believe that the mass loss is irreversible in the foreseeable future" assuming continued climate change, the scientists, based in the Netherlands and the United States, wrote in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Lead author Jan Lenaerts of the University of Utrecht told Reuters that the trend seemed unstoppable because a thaw of white glaciers would expose dark-colored tundra that would soak up more of the sun's heat and further accelerate the melt.

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92613N20130307

Naaaaaaaaaa it's normal

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Pete7469 (03-08-2013)

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jes'fuchinwitcha's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,705x in 1,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a reviewer for the DOE Small Business Innovation and Research grant program (SBIR) specializing in community connected biomass/biochar energy R&D in the private sector. I have been assigned three proposals to review in detail by the 10th and I just finished reading the first one, which I like very much.

In a nutshell, the proponent plans to utilize waste biomass from logging (slash - waste biomass accounts for about half of all of the material that goes into producing the lumber you buy at stores). The project is to turn that waste into biochar and liquid fuels through a pyrolysis process, which in itself is not a new technology. The key to the importance of the proposal is that the company has designed into its commercialization plan a consideration of the practical resource base for the production facility, the associated appropriate related scale for production, and identifies its market as the region in which it is to be produced (for both a biochar and "drop-in" replacement fuel for fossil oil and gas).

We're talking carbon negative/revenue positive energy from waste materials here, at cost competitive pricing.

Any questions about the potential for green energy?
    Last edited by jes'fuchinwitcha; 04-03-2023 at 06:56 PM.

Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,368x in 27,939 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jes'fuchinwitcha View Post
    I am a reviewer for the DOE Small Business Innovation and Research grant program (SBIR) specializing in community connected biomass/biochar energy R&D in the private sector. I have been assigned three proposals to review in detail by the 10th and I just finished reading the first one, which I like very much.

In a nutshell, the proponent plans to utilize waste biomass from logging (slash - waste biomass accounts for about half of all of the material that goes into producing the lumber you buy at stores). The project is to turn that waste into biochar and liquid fuels through a pyrolysis process, which in itself is not a new technology. The key to the importance of the proposal is that the company has designed into its commercialization plan a consideration of the practical resource base for the production facility, the associated appropriate related scale for production, and identifies its market as the region in which it is to be produced (for both a biochar and "drop-in" replacement fuel for fossil oil and gas.

We're talking carbon negative/revenue positive energy from waste materials here, at cost competitive pricing.

The only so-called green energy isn't green. It is nuclear. Boutique solutions are not solutions. Give all federal lands to the States and let's return to energy dominance in the US.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,431x in 94,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jes'fuchinwitcha View Post

In a nutshell, the proponent plans to utilize waste biomass from logging (slash - waste biomass accounts for about half of all of the material that goes into producing the lumber you buy at stores). The project is to turn that waste into biochar and liquid fuels through a pyrolysis process, which in itself is not a new technology. The key to the importance of the proposal is that the company has designed into its commercialization plan a consideration of the practical resource base for the production facility, the associated appropriate related scale for production, and identifies its market as the region in which it is to be produced (for both a biochar and "drop-in" replacement fuel for fossil oil and gas).

That makes sense so long as that product isn't mandatory for use or what it is intended to replace isn't outlawed. The current war on fossil fuels doesn't.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-04-2023)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,870x in 4,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    That makes sense so long as that product isn't mandatory for use or what it is intended to replace isn't outlawed. The current war on fossil fuels doesn't.
    That ^^^^^ right there.

The shortsightedness of most pro 'green' groups doesn't take into account those who are outside of the practical range of what is being demanded, and sometimes mandated. Eliminating alternatives, which includes pricing them to harmful, unstable and unsustainable levels, is contrary to a free market.

Promoting based on merit, pricing based on self-sustainability (no government subsidies), as alternatives to existing energy sources is the way to go. 'Green Fatigue' is a massive understatement.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (04-04-2023)

+ Reply to Thread