Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    Like you, I use drip lines to water almost all of my garden -- and to water the ornamentals inside that courtyard you see to the left of the photo. Otherwise, it's just too much. I haven't been using fabric the past few years, though. Instead, I'm going mostly with hardwood chips that keep the moisture in, reduce the weeds, keep the roots from getting too hot, but still allow earthworms to reach the surface. This was early in the season, I don't have a later photo, but now I still need to clean out the old tomato cages and put down some leaves to overwinter. I'd like to expand and add three more raised beds next summer, but I don't know if that will happen yet. I try to get the watering done early as well -- it's the easiest way to go. And, if I pick out any new weeds daily (sometimes I'm lazy), I can keep up and spend just five or ten minutes per day.

I can't wait for spring -- I love gardening!

What is the fence for, rabbits? I might put in something like that to keep the gophers out. I'm a little burned out and may not plant as much this coming year.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    What is the fence for, rabbits? I might put in something like that to keep the gophers out. I'm a little burned out and may not plant as much this coming year.
    LOL -- we have Saint Bernards and I'm not fond of the male dogs peeing on my tomatoes, etc. My sister had a hard time controlling gophers -- she used some sort of solar-powered probe that made a noise to run them off. But wait, maybe that wasn't gophers -- I don't really remember now.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,959x in 55,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’m starting to prep my garden now. I’ve been tilling every day that it’s not raining. My new tiller is great compared to my old bucking bronco.

This year I think I’m going to plant less variety than I did last year. Only corn, potatoes, onions, beans and peas.

Im going to try growing sweet corn one more time. If it’s unsuccessful this year, I’m done with corn. The last three years I’ve no corn harvest at all. Stocks are tall and strong, but no corn. I’ve had my soil analyzed and they say it’s great.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,959x in 55,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So much for scaling back and planting less. Potatoes, onions, radishes, garlic, peas, beans, carrots, corn, tomatoes and cucumbers.

Everything is planted except for the corn, tomatoes and cucumbers. Still too cold at night and early in the morning for those. Starting them in the greenhouse.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-09-2020)

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,262x in 20,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    So much for scaling back and planting less. Potatoes, onions, radishes, garlic, peas, beans, carrots, corn, tomatoes and cucumbers.

Everything is planted except for the corn, tomatoes and cucumbers. Still too cold at night and early in the morning for those. Starting them in the greenhouse.
    I put up so many green beans and tomato products that I wont need those for another year or better.
    So, salad tomatoes, cukes, peppers, onions and radishes. Since I belong to the Farmer's Market, this year we are planting loofahs to sell.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,800x in 4,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    I put up so many green beans and tomato products that I wont need those for another year or better.
    So, salad tomatoes, cukes, peppers, onions and radishes. Since I belong to the Farmer's Market, this year we are planting loofahs to sell.
    Will they be allowing a Farmer's Market? The local one here says they won't start until 4 weeks after any restrictive laws are lifted.

I don't buy much from them, since I grow most of what I eat, but every now and then they have something that piques my interest to try, and I do try and support the locals when I can.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 1,056
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,262x in 20,293 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Will they be allowing a Farmer's Market? The local one here says they won't start until 4 weeks after any restrictive laws are lifted.

I don't buy much from them, since I grow most of what I eat, but every now and then they have something that piques my interest to try, and I do try and support the locals when I can.
    The Farmer's Market here is too popular to shut down for the summer. Usually, they are up and running by now, selling starters. Some sell stuff they've raised in their greenhouses too.
    I suspect we'll be running by May 15th.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-09-2020)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,535x in 94,395 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post

Farmers Markets here are open, or planning on opening on schedule. Mine is year round, most here are not.

They are limiting the crowd at 10 people at a time. Prices for some things appear to be higher.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (04-09-2020),stjames1_53 (04-09-2020)

+ Reply to Thread