Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilCat Breath View Post
    This is certainly a parallel to the fall of Rome. The people lost faith in the religion, families fell apart. Then the carcass was gutted.
    Before Rome fell I believe they let anyone become a citizen.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Helena (10-18-2019)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    He struggles with language.
    Struggle with this.

superstition: a widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=supe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

How does that not describe a belief in an invisible, all-powerful, supernatural entity?

By the way, adherents of other religious faiths probably feel more than a bit insulted when their deities are dismissed by Christians as "false gods". Still, I suppose that it's somewhat less insulting than St. Paul's characterization of them as demons.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Struggle with this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=supe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

By the way, adherents of other religious faiths probably feel more than a bit insulted when their deities are dismissed by Christians as "false gods". Still, I suppose that it's somewhat less insulting than St. Paul's characterization of them as demons.
    Right. For example, if a black cat crosses your path it brings bad luck. You struggle with language.

That's nice. Was there a point to this?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right. For example, if a black cat crosses your path it brings bad luck. You're still struggling.

That's nice. Was there a point to this?
    Yes, and I'm quite sure you're bright enough to have grasped it, but are simply playing at not having done so.

Would you like to take a crack at explaining how a belief if one invisible, supernatural force can be dismissed as superstition, while belief in a different one is considered to be established fact and above criticism or questioning?

I would have to agree that some contributors to this thread are "struggling", D, but I don't believe I'm one of them.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, and I'm quite sure you're bright enough to have grasped it, but are simply playing at not having done so.

Would you like to take a crack at explaining how a belief if one invisible, supernatural force can be dismissed as superstition, while belief in a different one is considered to be established fact and above criticism or questioning?

I would have to agree that some contributors to this thread are "struggling", D, but I don't believe I'm one of them.
    No, I'm really not. I can't make your points for you, Wolf.

So now that you have a better idea of what a superstition actually is you roll the dice one final time in an appeal to hypocrisy. First of all, who said anyone's belief was "established fact and above criticism and questioning"? No one, right? Secondly, how is describing another deity as a "false god" or a "demon" dismissing said deity as superstition?

That superstition meant something a little different in the ancient world and in the Catholic Catechism is to get far ahead of ourselves. We can only move as quickly as our discussion partner.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, I'm really not. I can't make your points for you, Wolf.

So now that you have a better idea of what a superstition actually is you roll the dice one final time in an appeal to hypocrisy. First of all, who said anyone's belief was "established fact and above criticism and questioning"? No one, right? Secondly, how is describing another deity as a "false god" or a "demon" dismissing said deity as superstition?

That superstition meant something a little different in the ancient world and in the Catholic Catechism is to get far ahead of ourselves. We can only move as quickly as our discussion partner.
    I seldom if ever use the term, but...LOL.

Make my point for me? You've got to be kidding, D. You can't or won't answer the simplest of questions, and attempt to mask the fact by means of various diversions and your usual condescending snarkiness.

Let me spell it out for you, then, since you obviously don't possess the intellectual honesty to express it yourself. Belief in the Judeo-Christian god is culturally acceptable, and has been for a very long time. That is the sole difference between the superstition(s), legends and observances that make up that religion and all the other beliefs and belief systems that exist in the world and that involve a belief in unseen, supernatural forces. Some Christians take offense at having their faith characterized as "superstition" - I understand that, but it is, as they say, what it is.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Helena (10-18-2019),Just AnotherPerson (10-18-2019)

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Make my point for me? You've got to be kidding, D. You can't or won't answer the simplest of questions, and attempt to mask the fact by means of various diversions and your usual condescending snarkiness.

Let me spell it out for you, then, since you obviously don't possess the intellectual honesty to express it yourself. Belief in the Judeo-Christian god is culturally acceptable, and has been for a very long time. That is the sole difference between the superstition(s), legends and observances that make up that religion and all the other beliefs and belief systems that exist in the world and that involve a belief in unseen, supernatural forces. Some Christians take offense at having their faith characterized as "superstition" - I understand that, but it is, as they say, what it is.

Just one more member who handles disagreement disagreeably.

Wolf, you are the one here making a claim. The burden of supporting it is on you, not others.

"superstition...a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superstition

What evidence to the contrary do you offer, other than your own personal incredulity? None whatsoever.

Belief in the Judeo-Christian god is culturally acceptable, and has been for a very long time. That is the sole difference between the superstition(s), legends and observances that make up that religion and all the other beliefs and belief systems that exist in the world and that involve a belief in unseen, supernatural forces.
    That's also the sole difference between faith in science, government, and so many other things--and "and all the other beliefs and belief systems that exist in the world and that involve a belief in unseen, supernatural forces." So your sole difference means little if anything at all.

Here's a difference for you to struggle with: God is other-worldly while black cats, Ouija boards, ghosts and your other superstitions are all this-worldly, and as such easily measured as to whether they actually move some meter in this world, which they do not, we know that scientifically. Which leads us back to your burden of providing evidence to the contrary for God. How can you possibly do that when all you have at your disposal are this-worldly meters and measures?
    Last edited by Chris; 10-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

MMC (10-19-2019)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just answered your question!
    Let me spell it out for you, then, since you obviously don't possess the intellectual honesty to express it yourself. Belief in the Judeo-Christian god is culturally acceptable, and has been for a very long time.
    That's nice but irrelevant.

That is the sole difference between the superstition(s), legends and observances that make up that religion and all the other beliefs and belief systems that exist in the world and that involve a belief in unseen, supernatural forces.
    This is nonsense. There are a great many differences between the world's religions that have had and continue to have profound sociopolitical consequences. Christianity, for example, has shaped your own civilization, your culture and your own consciousness but this isn't a history lesson. I'm your English tutor today. It amazes me how you can cite a definition of superstition that demolishes your argument yet you persist.

superstition: a widely held but unjustified belief in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief.

Right, like breaking a mirror, walking under a ladder or having a black cat cross your path. Good God...no pun intended. lol

Some Christians take offense at having their faith characterized as "superstition" - I understand that, but it is, as they say, what it is.
    Wolf, your arguments against religion tend to range from superficial to stupid. This one is leaning more towards stupid. I'm not offended. I'm having fun with you.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Just one more member who handles disagreement disagreeably.

Wolf, you are the one here making a claim. The burden of supporting it is on you, not others.

"superstition...a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/superstition

What evidence to the contrary do you offer, other than your own personal incredulity? None whatsoever.

That's also the sole difference between faith in science, government, and so many other things--and "and all the other beliefs and belief systems that exist in the world and that involve a belief in unseen, supernatural forces." So your sole difference means little if anything at all.

Here's a difference for you to struggle with: God is other-worldly while black cats, Ouija boards, ghosts and your other superstitions are all this-worldly, and as such easily measured as to whether they actually move some meter in this world, which they do not, we know that scientifically. Which leads us back to your burden of providing evidence to the contrary for God. How can you possibly do that when all you have at your disposal are this-worldly meters and measures?
    Well, yeah, that's one of many differences between religion and superstition. Religion cannot be proved or disproved. Superstitions can.

~Alain de Benoist

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    The hell there isn't. Matthew 27: 51-53
    The saints in Matthew 27: 51-53 are no longer dead. There is nothing in Christianity that supports the idea that the dead walk the Earth.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread