Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,873x in 1,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 1938 New Yorker magazine that I found so interesting. I read it front to back and back to front many times. Somehow, it got lost. I wish I still had it.
    I stand alone and take back something worth remembering...

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Toober's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 187 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i found a 2nd edition of "treasure island" at a garage sale for .25 cents...

good condition.

its always interesting to read how different the speech was way back then...

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,245x in 5,905 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many years ago I picked up a very old book called 'Apes Urbanae' ('The Bees of Urban'), written in Latin in the early 17th Century. As near as I could make out, it was some kind of bibliography of theological writings. I doubt that I'd have found it interesting (or that I would now) even if I read Latin, but this copy was printed in Germany in 1711, and it blew me away that this book had been printed before George Washington was born. I haven't seen it in years and hope I still have it, somewhere in "the archives".
    “Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most.”

- attributed to Sitting Bull

"I live by two words: tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go, and gratitude keeps me from being angry on the way." - Henry Winkler

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Nemo's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 102x in 69 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago, I began, desultorily, to read. It is probably ironic that the first book I read was Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe; which is reputed to be the first novel in the English language. It was the Charles Scribner Sons edition with the evocative illustrations by N.C. Wyeth. The book captured my imagination and fired my desire to read. Since then, I have read many books, and more than a few of them several times. It is not uncommon that I read an entire book within a single day. I am not a particularly rapid reader, but I suffer from insomnia, and, for these many years, books have been the companions of my sleepless nights. More recently, my studies have become more focused and my reading more refined. Some books I read have been out of print for centuries, and only available in the great libraries of the world or in private collections. Even so, there are many, many more books that I have not read - great rivers of literature and learning that I have yet to course. Still, whenever I start another book, it is with the same spirit of Robinson Crusoe when he takes up his salvaged copy of the Bible, and begins, for the first time, to read it in earnest.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemo For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (12-08-2019)

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,245x in 5,905 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I came across two old editions of novels by Joseph Conrad, printed in 1938 but in wonderful condition, for a couple of dollars at a thrift shop last week. Someone must have treasured them, because aside from some slight discoloration of the pages they might have come right off a bookseller's shelves eighty years ago. I hadn't read any Conrad in years, and then only 'Heart of Darkness', 'The Secret Sharer' and a couple of other things, but this find inspired me not only to get back into his works but to learn more about the author. Born of a Polish family in the Ukraine, he grew up speaking Polish and French and actually knew little English until he emigrated to England in his twenties, yet he became one of the giants of English literature.

I find his writing to be almost hypnotic. One of the books I found the other day was his second published novel, 'An Outcast of the Islands' - he worked throughout his youth and early manhood as a merchant sailor, so much of his writing deals with the sea - so I found a nice old copy of his first book, 'Almayer's Folly' on Ebay and plan to begin reading his novels in order as soon as I've finished with a few other recent acquisitions.
    “Inside of me there are two dogs. One is mean and evil and the other is good and they fight each other all the time. When asked which one wins I answer, the one I feed the most.”

- attributed to Sitting Bull

"I live by two words: tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go, and gratitude keeps me from being angry on the way." - Henry Winkler

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Nemo (12-08-2019)

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Nemo's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 102x in 69 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am negotiating the purchase the first English translation of Tacitus’ Historiae by Sir Henry Savile published in 1591. Savile was notable scholar: Provost of Eaton, Secretary in Latin to Elizabeth I, and one of Francis Bacon’s "good pens" that worked on the translation of the Gospels in revision of the English Bible commissioned by King James I. Tacitus is extremely dense and difficult to translate; later versions tend to lose the flavor of the original text. At my advanced age, I want to know the truth; and, looking back on things, often the truth can only be found at the source.
    Last edited by Nemo; 12-08-2019 at 05:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread