User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: A Better Guide than Reason—Or Not?

  1. #11
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    I would argue our path to big government has less to do with the Constitution and more to do with groupthink.

    There's a tendency for people to demand more government whenever a crisis occurs. The Great Depression was one of the biggest crises we've ever faced as a society, but our response to it was a direct result of the public clamoring for government intervention and politicians in power that were more than happy to expand their influence in the process.

    You could say flawed reasoning was involved in that too, but a hunger for power was even more integral.

    Right, I'm not saying the Constitution caused growth in centralized government, just that those best-laid plans did little to prevent what the founders feared.

    You could say flawed reasoning was involved in that too, but a hunger for power was even more integral.
    Reasoning seems suited to solving small scale problems but seems to lack long-term insight.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  2. #12
    Points: 9,770, Level: 23
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1329
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,228
    Points
    9,770
    Level
    23
    Thanks Given
    1,735
    Thanked 1,319x in 909 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Right, I'm not saying the Constitution caused growth in centralized government, just that those best-laid plans did little to prevent what the founders feared.



    Reasoning seems suited to solving small scale problems but seems to lack long-term insight.
    Maybe this sounds tautological, but I would say reason is only as good as the perception of an individual allows. Someone with great foresight can wield reason in an exemplary manner. Someone with no foresight will wield reason in terrifying ways.

  3. #13
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    Maybe this sounds tautological, but I would say reason is only as good as the perception of an individual allows. Someone with great foresight can wield reason in an exemplary manner. Someone with no foresight will wield reason in terrifying ways.
    As Thomas Sowell might point out, yes, those intellectuals who do not suffer the consequences of their insights. Marx again comes to mind.

    The point of the OP is not to abandon reason but to not abandon tradition for blind faith in reason.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Rationalist (10-30-2019)

  5. #14
    Points: 27,329, Level: 40
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    14733
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11,200
    Points
    27,329
    Level
    40
    Thanks Given
    7,171
    Thanked 1,973x in 1,697 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Whatever Is Promoted Needs to Be Demoted

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A Better Guide than Reason—Or Not? is a review of Mark Mitchell’s new book, . The review is somewhat negative and the book may well have its shortcomings but it theme and point are good for what ails the modern world.
    It's what I call "preemptive distortion." Self-entitled thinkers with ulterior motives reject traditional ideas in a purposely obnoxious and irrational way that reinforces and extends the barely bearable endurance of the obsolete and equally dishonest traditions. These intellectual celebrities don't have minds of their own, but are driven by forces that they themselves don't even recognize.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
    The born-rich hate and fear all other White people.

  6. #15
    Points: 27,329, Level: 40
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    14733
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11,200
    Points
    27,329
    Level
    40
    Thanks Given
    7,171
    Thanked 1,973x in 1,697 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What They Present Is an Empty Present With Fancy Gift-Wrapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Over time, however, the better, truer ideas prevail. The marketplace is more scientific than it is political in that while fads may win immediate approval what works prevails in the long run. I follow Curt Doolittle and his Propertarianism on this, from whom I will add the the West is the best inasmuch as it has figured out how to create great commons.
    The marketplace inevitably results in the tyranny of monopolies. Just by the fact that it presents itself as some impersonal judgment of who deserves to be a winner or loser encourages passive submission to those who control it. Since it deals with persons, it can't possibly be impersonal and only shows, if its victims dare look, the anti-social and destructive desires of the predators who control it behind the scenes they present as reality.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
    The born-rich hate and fear all other White people.

  7. #16
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Main Street View Post
    The marketplace inevitably results in the tyranny of monopolies. Just by the fact that it presents itself as some impersonal judgment of who deserves to be a winner or loser encourages passive submission to those who control it. Since it deals with persons, it can't possibly be impersonal and only shows, if its victims dare look, the anti-social and destructive desires of the predators who control it behind the scenes they present as reality.

    IBM => Microsoft => Google. Market monopolies, by choice, come and go. Those created by the government stay forevermore. See Armentano's Antitrust and Monopoly: Anatomy of a Policy Failure.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  8. #17
    Points: 27,329, Level: 40
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    14733
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11,200
    Points
    27,329
    Level
    40
    Thanks Given
    7,171
    Thanked 1,973x in 1,697 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Recitation Is Not Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Most everyone who came out of the Enlightenment was an individualist who turned against the earlier corporate collective.

    Marx associated with anarchists but broke with the continental libertarians for an authoritarian, or, better, totalitarian bent with the dictatorship of the proletariat, which was to lead to the promised Land of communism.

    This is the problem with reason, people imagining what can never be in reality because they sent who we are.
    What you claim is reason is nothing more than simple-minded sophism, rattling off dogma as a substitute for dialogue. You cannot attach an attack on the Enlightenment to an attack on a self-serving fraud like Marxism.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
    The born-rich hate and fear all other White people.

  9. #18
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Main Street View Post
    What you claim is reason is nothing more than simple-minded sophism, rattling off dogma as a substitute for dialogue. You cannot attach an attack on the Enlightenment to an attack on a self-serving fraud like Marxism.
    For many reason is no more than regurgitated sophistry.

    Marx was a product of the Enlightenment. Just because he took a Continental turn rather than a Scottish one, doesn't change the historical fact. Find Hayek's "Individualism: True and False."
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  10. #19
    Points: 27,329, Level: 40
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Sage of Main Street's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    14733
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    11,200
    Points
    27,329
    Level
    40
    Thanks Given
    7,171
    Thanked 1,973x in 1,697 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Impenetrable Plutocracy Has a Monopoly on Economic Thought

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    IBM => Microsoft => Google. Market monopolies, by choice, come and go. Those created by the government stay forevermore. See Armentano's Antitrust and Monopoly: Anatomy of a Policy Failure.
    Monopolies may originally be the best in the market, but from that position they can still dominate it after they stop producing the best product. It's like the NBA champion getting a permanent advantage if it was rewarded the #1 Draft Pick; the other teams would soon be unable to compete even if they had better management than the monopoly team. That team could rest on its laurels and be the perpetual champion without even trying. However, using John Nash's insight, soon the whole league would collapse.
    On the outside, trickling down on the Insiders
    The born-rich hate and fear all other White people.

  11. #20
    Points: 462,429, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    397455
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    150,025
    Points
    462,429
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    15,542
    Thanked 45,030x in 33,126 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sage of Main Street View Post
    Monopolies may originally be the best in the market, but from that position they can still dominate it after they stop producing the best product. It's like the NBA champion getting a permanent advantage if it was rewarded the #1 Draft Pick; the other teams would soon be unable to compete even if they had better management than the monopoly team. That team could rest on its laurels and be the perpetual champion without even trying. However, using John Nash's insight, soon the whole league would collapse.
    Speaking of Nash, equalibria may exist in games, but not in markets. Schumperterian creative-destruction is the rule.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO