Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I do the same thing -- buy, fix and flip -- and it's always a fun adventure. I know what you mean about a fixer turning into a rebuild if you're not careful. Fortunately, we're contractors, so at least I have access to the tools needed. I'm doing a fairly large one right now and trying to decide what to do with the dated blond brick on the exterior. It really has to go. I considered doing a German Smear but while that looks great on red brick, I don't know what it would do to blond brick. Considered dying and painting, too. No solution picked as of yet. Maybe I'll get a photo and you can see if you have any ideas! Would you like that?
    That's fun. I probably wouldn't have any ideas better than what you already have. But yes it would be fun to see a pic. I have never really worked with restoring a brick home before.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    That's fun. I probably wouldn't have any ideas better than what you already have. But yes it would be fun to see a pic. I have never really worked with restoring a brick home before.
    Here it is. The blond brick has to go, and you can see some darkish gray staining on the front between the two windows that may need to be washed with muratic acid first if we go with a dye. The little brick flowerbed in the front will have to be stuccoed as it's losing a few bricks. The roof stays, so I need to go with a color on the bricks that won't clash. Shutters and Tudor fake beams can all be painted. What do you think would be a good color scheme?

outside of house.jpg
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (11-02-2019)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is. The blond brick has to go, and you can see some darkish gray staining on the front between the two windows that may need to be washed with muratic acid first if we go with a dye. The little brick flowerbed in the front will have to be stuccoed as it's losing a few bricks. The roof stays, so I need to go with a color on the bricks that won't clash. Shutters and Tudor fake beams can all be painted. What do you think would be a good color scheme?

Attachment 27333
    I need to think about it for a while. That is one charming home. How beautiful. That home has so much potential. I wonder what caused that staining in-between the windows is it from water? Yes the roof looks to be in great condition. I will think about it for a while.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (11-02-2019)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two twin guys renovating the TV home of the Brady Bunch was good. Seeing all the kids in their late fifties and sixties blew my mind though. My crush Jan looks like my Grandmother did. And Bobby has aged poorly. Marcia looked the most well preserved of them all. It's odd realizing your advanced age has crept-up and now you live in that old body.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (11-01-2019)

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    I know nothing about what you're talking about, so yeah, post away!
    What a valuable post.
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a vid on how to stain the brick. I had never done anything like that before. It looks like lots of work. That planter could easily be fixed instead of stuccoed. You wouldnt even have to be a master mason to do it, since it's not structural. I am more a fan of light colors. I know that you said you liked rich colors. What colors were you leaning towards? Thanks for letting me play. I love interactive threads. There are certainly lots of colors to choose from. I will just throw some out there for fun. I would be interested in seeing what colors you are leaning towards.

I found a trim color that looks really cool.

IMG_1996.jpg

I like the brick color on this one.

8efc38f14d3ff54fe4811634dead7f1b.jpg

You said you like rich colors so I will throw this one in for you

rich.jpg

These colors go well together too.

Hennis_Raised_Panel_Shutter_large.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I need to think about it for a while. That is one charming home. How beautiful. That home has so much potential. I wonder what caused that staining in-between the windows is it from water? Yes the roof looks to be in great condition. I will think about it for a while.

Love, love LOVE the ideas!

I don't know what caused the staining, but I hope it comes off so it doesn't affect the eventual color of the bricks if we go with dyeing. I'd like to tone down the yellow hues. It looks even more yellow in person. We've got updating to do inside, too. So far, I've only removed the popcorn ceilings from the second floor. We'll be refacing the kitchen cabinets and putting on quartz countertops, new paint, flooring, the regulars, but a three-season room on the back has to come off because it was added after the construction of the house by someone who didn't really know what he was doing and it would be cost prohibitive to try and fix. So, we'll run a large deck in the back from the master bedroom all the way to the other end. We'll have to replace the fixtures and reface a startlingly white with black grout brick fireplace inside. It's a big house but it was built in the late 70s and still has the avocado tubs and one dark black one!
    Last edited by FindersKeepers; 11-02-2019 at 04:27 AM.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (11-02-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those are great! That trim on the first one is really attractive, and if we go with dyeing, we could create some of those varied brick colors.

The bold rich colors are also intriguing, and the house is big enough I think it could pull it off.

So much to consider.

Thanks so much for those color ideas! I'm saving them to show to my husband! I like all of them!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love, love LOVE the ideas!

I don't know what caused the staining, but I hope it comes off so it doesn't affect the eventual color of the bricks if we go with dyeing. I'd like to tone down the yellow hues. It looks even more yellow in person. We've got updating to do inside, too. So far, I've only removed the popcorn ceilings from the second floor. We'll be refacing the kitchen cabinets and putting on quartz countertops, new paint, flooring, the regulars, but a three-season room on the back has to come off because it was added after the construction of the house by someone who didn't really know what he was doing and it would be cost prohibitive to try and fix. So, we'll run a large deck in the back from the master bedroom all the way to the other end. We'll have to replace the fixtures and reface a startlingly white with black grout brick fireplace inside. It's a big house but it was built in the late 70s and still has the avocado tubs and one dark black one!
    That sounds like lots of work for sure. My last house reeked of the 70's it was a ton of work to bring it up to date. That staining on the front could have possibly come from a rogue sprinkler. I see some evidence of that along the bottom it has a bit of water staining. A second possibility is that there used to be a bush growing up against the house right there, who knows. I think it should wash out although I have never worked with brick before. I watched a couple vids on cleaning. You can find lots of good vids here is just a couple. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OBRS0EcBvv3dzD

It is a lot of work but when you are finished it is really rewarding to know that you transformed that home with your two hands. And to know some family will get a new home. I don't know, it's just a good feeling.

+ Reply to Thread