gamewell45's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,128x in 2,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Appalachian trail is but a 90 second drive from my house. It's not uncommon to see hikers crossing the road; sometimes you'll see them hiking into town for food/drink/ect.

Back in the late 1970's I did the trail up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire; spent almost 3 weeks on the trail; great experience but today all i'd be good for was a day trip at my own pace.
    Currently plotting the overthrow of the world; unfortunately I have no idea how to do it.
    Independent and proud of it!
    If you allow people to use you as a piece of carpet, they will. -- Eugene V. Debs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (11-03-2019)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 11,451x in 7,181 Posts
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    It's so sad, that is what it is like for so many. They are trapped in a cement prison totally cut off from nature. I don't know for me it feels like we were meant to be in nature. It makes something happen in your heart, something comes alive. It doesn't matter where as long as it is out in nature, be it sitting on the edge of the Ocean feeling the waves crash towards the shore, or breathing among the pines. It just feels like that's where we were meant to be.

It's wonderful that you and your wife would sit on the beach like that. You know what else? They say that there are tons of children alive today who have never even seen a night sky in their life. I cant imagine that. Since I was a baby my dad would lay a blanket out and the whole family would cuddle together on that one blanket and watch the stars. We would fall asleep to the sound of crickets, the cool fragrance summer breeze and the sight of countless stars gleaming among the heavens. That is valuable beyond words. Everyone should have that experience.
    Truth is you dont know because you were born and raised there, big wide open spaces are intimidating and city folks see in every horror movie everything bad always happens in the woods or the mountains. lol

You dont know what your missing until you see it
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

GROUCHO MARX,

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,668
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,478x in 2,940 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    The Appalachian trail is but a 90 second drive from my house. It's not uncommon to see hikers crossing the road; sometimes you'll see them hiking into town for food/drink/ect.

Back in the late 1970's I did the trail up in the White Mountains in New Hampshire; spent almost 3 weeks on the trail; great experience but today all i'd be good for was a day trip at my own pace.
    That is so awesome Gamewell. That must have been such an amazing experience. So you can do day hikes on the Appalachian, that is great!!! I watched a few vids on the Appalachian trail. The hikers say it is a 6 month hike. That is no joke. But there are plenty of day hikes on that trail.

We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,128x in 2,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so awesome Gamewell. That must have been such an amazing experience. So you can do day hikes on the Appalachian, that is great!!! I watched a few vids on the Appalachian trail. The hikers say it is a 6 month hike. That is no joke. But there are plenty of day hikes on that trail.

Yes it was an awesome experience to say the least; you can hike the trail from Maine to Georgia and as you mentioned it normally takes around six months to complete it if you stick to it every day.

You really have to be in shape if you are going to traverse the trail the entire distance; usually 2 or 3 times per year we (vol. fire dept rescue) have to go on the trail and help the forest rangers remove someone who's injured themselves or had a heart attack.
    Currently plotting the overthrow of the world; unfortunately I have no idea how to do it.
    Independent and proud of it!
    If you allow people to use you as a piece of carpet, they will. -- Eugene V. Debs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,348x in 7,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once hiked from one side of the Appalachian Trail to the other. It was in Hot Springs NC where the trail crosses highway 25/70 which is on its way to Asheville NC. It was exhausting to say the least.

By the way, this website takes up more room than does Hot Springs! The 106 Bridge Street shown on the map is Highway 25/70 and just to the east of it is the Trail.

https://www.hotspringsnc.org/
    Last edited by nathanbforrest45; 11-03-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (11-04-2019),Just AnotherPerson (11-04-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I once hiked from one side of the Appalachian Trail to the other. It was in Hot Springs NC where the trail crosses highway 25/70 which is on its way to Asheville NC. It was exhausting to say the least.

By the way, this website takes up more room than does Hot Springs! The 106 Bridge Street shown on the map is Highway 25/70 and just to the east of it is the Trail.

https://www.hotspringsnc.org/
    That's awesome!!! Did it take you the whole 6 months? What month did you start in? I am wondering if that overlaps into winter snows for some of the hike?
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,348x in 7,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome!!! Did it take you the whole 6 months? What month did you start in? I am wondering if that overlaps into winter snows for some of the hike?

Re-read my post. I did not say I hiked from one end to the other. I said I hiked one side to the other.
    Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
    Robert A. Heinlein

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (11-04-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Re-read my post. I did not say I hiked from one end to the other. I said I hiked one side to the other.
    My bad. I can see how it must have been exhausting then, Lol. I thought you were a thru hiker, my bad......

got me.jpg

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (11-04-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another really well done hike in Glacier National Park, by "The Duthchmen". They also have tons more vids, here is thier channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOk...vItHCDQAJljqUA The quality is superb.

+ Reply to Thread