User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Video Released of Police Officer Fatally Shooting Woman Wielding Scissors

  1. #11
    Points: 107,965, Level: 80
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 2,685
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178870
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    35,878
    Points
    107,965
    Level
    80
    Thanks Given
    6,584
    Thanked 10,334x in 7,584 Posts
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    He should have run back to his car and got his bean bag shooter and then shot her. Of course she may have stabbed a few people before he got back but hey, they probably deserved it.

    By the way, the police are trained to aim for center mass, not the arm, leg, head, foot, hand, toe or buttocks. Center mass, sure fire way to neutralize the threat.
    One should never point a gun at something they don’t intend to kill if necessary.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  2. #12
    Points: 40,853, Level: 49
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    22518
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    6,575
    Points
    40,853
    Level
    49
    Thanks Given
    6,720
    Thanked 4,483x in 2,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    I did pose a question to you. I know you don’t agree but maybe I can give you a different perspective.
    It depends on the situation, and what kind of person was coming at you. If you watch the video it plays a second shot from a cctv cam. It shows that she had her hands out to the side. She could have been tazed. In the old days the cop would have wrestled that woman to the ground. They used to duke it out with people. They were actually bad asses. This guy was screaming for her to drop the scissors while she was twitching on the floor breathing her last. She was no longer a threat. My answer is that it all depends on the situation. I wont say that I can do better. I am just judging from an outside of the situation perspective. I am a weak woman, but even so, I have had my share of strong moments. I confronted a knife wielding man to save a dog. I used reason to talk to him.

    Think of how this guy may have escalated the situation just by the way he was talking to her asserting his authority. It was clear she was having a mental moment, maybe even drunk. Who knows how the situation could have been different if he had approached her a little bit differently. He was provoking her yelling at her that he would shoot her.

    Why couldn't he have calmed down a bit and said mam, I don't want to shoot you. What's going on man, how can we help. Perhaps if he has used a more human approach the woman would still be alive today.

    I am willing to hear you out.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

    Dr. Who (11-04-2019)

  4. #13
    Points: 107,965, Level: 80
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 2,685
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178870
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    35,878
    Points
    107,965
    Level
    80
    Thanks Given
    6,584
    Thanked 10,334x in 7,584 Posts
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    It depends on the situation, and what kind of person was coming at you. If you watch the video it plays a second shot from a cctv cam. It shows that she had her hands out to the side. She could have been tazed. In the old days the cop would have wrestled that woman to the ground. They used to duke it out with people. They were actually bad asses. This guy was screaming for her to drop the scissors while she was twitching on the floor breathing her last. She was no longer a threat. My answer is that it all depends on the situation. I wont say that I can do better. I am just judging from an outside of the situation perspective. I am a weak woman, but even so, I have had my share of strong moments. I confronted a knife wielding man to save a dog. I used reason to talk to him.

    A lot more cops died back then as well. She had her hands out but that doesn’t mean she couldn’t have brought those scissors down on him in less than a second. He warned her multiple times. She was having a breakdown obviously but the cop can’t allow his life to be put at risk because someone else wants to die and is willing to kill someone else in order to get there. This was suicide by cop. To me this cop tried everything he could to reason with this woman. While it’s great that your anecdotal experience worked for you the cop doesn’t have the luxury given he does this day in and day out. It only takes one time for it to not work and he doesn’t come home to his family.

    Think of how this guy may have escalated the situation just by the way he was talking to her asserting his authority. It was clear she was having a mental moment, maybe even drunk. Who knows how the situation could have been different if he had approached her a little bit differently. He was provoking her yelling at her that he would shoot her.
    I talk all the time about how cops abuse their authority but I don’t see it in this case. He was projecting his authority because he is indeed in a position of authority and a crime was being committed. He cannot simply walk away. It’s his job. I didn’t hear anything from him that leads me to believe he escalated this situation.

    Here. Take a look at this video and see if you can see the difference between how these two cops handled the situation. They are not identical of course but notice the difference in escalation. One was escalated by the cop and the other by the “perp”.
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CRlm1_1571873861

    One is a disgusting act of authoritarianism and the other is justified self-defense.
    Why couldn't he have calmed down a bit and said mam, I don't want to shoot you. What's going on man, how can we help. Perhaps if he has used a more human approach the woman would still be alive today.
    To me I think he tried. She had a weapon in her hand. He told her that he would shoot her if she came at him and that’s exactly what she wanted. He tried to talk to her but she was off her rocker. There are simply times when humans go “the crazy”.

    I am willing to hear you out.
    Well I hope so. That’s why we are all here after all. Well. Most of us. Well many of us. Well some of us.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (11-05-2019)

  6. #14
    Points: 128,315, Level: 86
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 935
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    862392
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    52,635
    Points
    128,315
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    4,940
    Thanked 4,654x in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
    LOUISIANA — The Bossier City Police Department has released surveillance and body cam video of the incident in which 45-year-old Shannon Rupert of Shreveport was shot and killed by Bossier City Police officer Patrick Edmonds, Jr. on October 25. The police department and the Bossier Parish District Attorney’s Office have found the fatal shooting to be justified.

    https://breaking911.com/raw-footage-...ding-scissors/
    She was obviously manic, which is not normal. Once again someone who might have some form of mental illness was killed unnecessarily. There are so many ways that she could have been subdued without resorting to lethal force - taser, pepper spray, bean bags, using a chair to pin her against the wall ... She was shot like she was an unruly dog. Human life is decreasing in value and nobody cares.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (11-05-2019)

  8. #15
    Points: 128,315, Level: 86
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 935
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    862392
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    52,635
    Points
    128,315
    Level
    86
    Thanks Given
    4,940
    Thanked 4,654x in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    A lot more cops died back then as well. She had her hands out but that doesn’t mean she couldn’t have brought those scissors down on him in less than a second. He warned her multiple times. She was having a breakdown obviously but the cop can’t allow his life to be put at risk because someone else wants to die and is willing to kill someone else in order to get there. This was suicide by cop. To me this cop tried everything he could to reason with this woman. While it’s great that your anecdotal experience worked for you the cop doesn’t have the luxury given he does this day in and day out. It only takes one time for it to not work and he doesn’t come home to his family.



    I talk all the time about how cops abuse their authority but I don’t see it in this case. He was projecting his authority because he is indeed in a position of authority and a crime was being committed. He cannot simply walk away. It’s his job. I didn’t hear anything from him that leads me to believe he escalated this situation.

    Here. Take a look at this video and see if you can see the difference between how these two cops handled the situation. They are not identical of course but notice the difference in escalation. One was escalated by the cop and the other by the “perp”.
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CRlm1_1571873861

    One is a disgusting act of authoritarianism and the other is justified self-defense.


    To me I think he tried. She had a weapon in her hand. He told her that he would shoot her if she came at him and that’s exactly what she wanted. He tried to talk to her but she was off her rocker. There are simply times when humans go “the crazy”.



    Well I hope so. That’s why we are all here after all. Well. Most of us. Well many of us. Well some of us.
    Let me ask you this. Was anyone being held hostage? Was there a time limit on her capitulation? Does every encounter between people who are not in their right minds have to be resolved in 5 minutes or less? That officer was on the other side of a counter from the woman. He was in no immediate danger. She wasn't a young woman so either she was likely reacting to some kind of prescription medication or she was experiencing some kind of manic episode. Given that no one was in danger, why not call in a professional to calm her down and failing that, use a non-lethal remedy?
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

  9. #16
    Points: 107,965, Level: 80
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 2,685
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178870
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    35,878
    Points
    107,965
    Level
    80
    Thanks Given
    6,584
    Thanked 10,334x in 7,584 Posts
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Let me ask you this. Was anyone being held hostage? Was there a time limit on her capitulation? Does every encounter between people who are not in their right minds have to be resolved in 5 minutes or less? That officer was on the other side of a counter from the woman. He was in no immediate danger. She wasn't a young woman so either she was likely reacting to some kind of prescription medication or she was experiencing some kind of manic episode. Given that no one was in danger, why not call in a professional to calm her down and failing that, use a non-lethal remedy?
    You saw the same video I did. She came out from behind the counter and charged the officer with a pair of scissors in her hands. If you were the officer would you have risked being stabbed?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  10. #17
    Points: 42,291, Level: 50
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    181598
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    18,661
    Points
    42,291
    Level
    50
    Thanks Given
    20
    Thanked 13,283x in 8,272 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I don't agree with you on this one.
    You are wrong. Police Officers and really ALL defensive shooters are trained to shoot at Center Mass of the target presented. You don't shoot for the leg or the arm or try to shoot the gun (or scissors) out of someone's hand. You pick the biggest target available, which will almost always be the torso and you shoot at the center of it and you shoot at least twice.
    "All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174, 176, (1803). "Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda Vs. Arizona, 384 US 436 p. 491.

  11. #18
    Points: 40,853, Level: 49
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    22518
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    6,575
    Points
    40,853
    Level
    49
    Thanks Given
    6,720
    Thanked 4,483x in 2,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    A lot more cops died back then as well. She had her hands out but that doesn’t mean she couldn’t have brought those scissors down on him in less than a second. He warned her multiple times. She was having a breakdown obviously but the cop can’t allow his life to be put at risk because someone else wants to die and is willing to kill someone else in order to get there. This was suicide by cop. To me this cop tried everything he could to reason with this woman. While it’s great that your anecdotal experience worked for you the cop doesn’t have the luxury given he does this day in and day out. It only takes one time for it to not work and he doesn’t come home to his family.



    I talk all the time about how cops abuse their authority but I don’t see it in this case. He was projecting his authority because he is indeed in a position of authority and a crime was being committed. He cannot simply walk away. It’s his job. I didn’t hear anything from him that leads me to believe he escalated this situation.

    Here. Take a look at this video and see if you can see the difference between how these two cops handled the situation. They are not identical of course but notice the difference in escalation. One was escalated by the cop and the other by the “perp”.
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CRlm1_1571873861

    One is a disgusting act of authoritarianism and the other is justified self-defense.


    To me I think he tried. She had a weapon in her hand. He told her that he would shoot her if she came at him and that’s exactly what she wanted. He tried to talk to her but she was off her rocker. There are simply times when humans go “the crazy”.



    Well I hope so. That’s why we are all here after all. Well. Most of us. Well many of us. Well some of us.
    I can appreciate your point of view, although I personally still don't agree with it. But I understand your opinion though. I had posted a thread on the one in your link. That officer had serious mental health issues for sure. Honestly I am starting to have a fear of officers, and I am a law abiding citizen. I went to the store a few weeks ago, and I seen 3 empty cruisers sitting in the parking lot, and for a second there, I had second thought's about going in that store. They have authority over us and they have a weapon on their hip that can take a life. If you upset them or scare them your life could be taken. It is no joke. All of my experiences with law enforcement have been positive. I have always had a respect for them. I believe they do a lot of good. But many of them are becoming militarized and seem to be using much more authority than ever before. It seems like a lot of the human element that they used to show is changing into something else. They no longer act like they are here to protect and serve but to have authority over us. It is getting kind of strange.

    I haven't been pulled over since I was in my late teens and I am now almost 41. But I keep my insurance and registration within easy reaching distance in the consul where it is easily visible. The thought of reaching for it terrifies me. You never know if an officer will get scared, after all that is what we are dealing with someone who is afraid they wont go home that night. If you spark that fear in them even on accident they can take your life.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

    Private Pickle (11-05-2019),Standing Wolf (11-05-2019)

  13. #19
    Points: 107,965, Level: 80
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 2,685
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    178870
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    35,878
    Points
    107,965
    Level
    80
    Thanks Given
    6,584
    Thanked 10,334x in 7,584 Posts
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I can appreciate your point of view, although I personally still don't agree with it. But I understand your opinion though. I had posted a thread on the one in your link. That officer had serious mental health issues for sure. Honestly I am starting to have a fear of officers, and I am a law abiding citizen. I went to the store a few weeks ago, and I seen 3 empty cruisers sitting in the parking lot, and for a second there, I had second thought's about going in that store. They have authority over us and they have a weapon on their hip that can take a life. If you upset them or scare them your life could be taken. It is no joke. All of my experiences with law enforcement have been positive. I have always had a respect for them. I believe they do a lot of good. But many of them are becoming militarized and seem to be using much more authority than ever before. It seems like a lot of the human element that they used to show is changing into something else. They no longer act like they are here to protect and serve but to have authority over us. It is getting kind of strange.

    I haven't been pulled over since I was in my late teens and I am now almost 41. But I keep my insurance and registration within easy reaching distance in the consul where it is easily visible. The thought of reaching for it terrifies me. You never know if an officer will get scared, after all that is what we are dealing with someone who is afraid they wont go home that night. If you spark that fear in them even on accident they can take your life.
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m the first to speak out against the abuse of authority we see so often. I just don’t think it applies to this case.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

    -Darth Vader

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Private Pickle For This Useful Post:

    Just AnotherPerson (11-05-2019)

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO