Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,570x in 36,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    The government should provide information on subjects pertaining to the citizens.... that is their action. That is my response. Epidemic I believe was your offering, so provide information on what it is, how to prevent personal infection, and what to do if a person comes ill. Not mandate injections, not require people to do this or that, but provide information and let the individual make decisions for them and their minor dependents. They can offer immunizations or care, but participation should be voluntary.

While society bears the cost of those who won't take care of themselves, I don't care if they complain about what it costs. Some medical conditions are not self inflicted, should those people just shut up because they are part of a societal pool? We are all free to make choices, and taking away one person's freedom of choice, will eventually become 'your' freedom of choice.
    Let's say some kind of viral infection that's contagious through casual or even brief contact with infected persons. Let's also say that the medical community is unprepared for it. The state should step back and provide information?

Nice try but obesity is 1) the topic and 2) is most certainly self-inflicted the vast majority of the time. Our freedumb leads directly to rising medical costs that, quite frankly, aren't sustainable. This is moving in a direction liberty lovers may not like but it's our fault.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Much worse that social welfare is the spending on war.
    You are wrong. The social spending is worse than war spending as it leads to decade and generations of rot. See Detriot and Baltimore. Billions upon Billions if not Trillons pumped down a social welfare $#@! hole. Those places couldnt be worse if we had spent the money to have the Military bomb them into the same oblivion
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (11-08-2019)

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,869x in 4,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Let's say some kind of viral infection that's contagious through casual or even brief contact with infected persons. Let's also say that the medical community is unprepared for it. The state should step back and provide information?
    Nice try but obesity is 1) the topic and 2) is most certainly self-inflicted the vast majority of the time. Our freedumb leads directly to rising medical costs that, quite frankly, aren't sustainable. This is moving in a direction liberty lovers may not like but it's our fault.
    We could put together something more dramatic than that, dontcha think? After all, if you want the government all up in your stuff, it has to be an unidentified virus there is no known cure for. Apparently you and I will not agree on what levels the government should be involved in people's lives.

No, actually the original topic was taxes going up, and health care being part of that. The cost of healthcare, actual care, not insurance, has been left to balloon without anyone actually addressing the 'why'... and that is where the PPACA was a huge bandaid that didn't do anything about actual care costs. Reading one's EOB from their insurance, or a hospital bill is an education in markup- ever asked a provider what their cash charge is versus insurance? I do it regularly, and while some claim they don't accept cash, it's a CYA due to some line in their contract with insurance companies that says they cannot accept a patient on a cash basis if they are known to have insurance. Some examples:

Chiropractic adjustment, basic. Cash: $40 Insurance Co-pay: $60 Xrays, 3 views. Cash: $50 Insurance: $159.00

Those are my personal ancedotes, but I'm sure I could come up with proof of payments.

The minute you let the government tell you what you can or cannot eat or drink, why would you think it would stop there? Education and information provides people with the tools to help themselves. The alternative may be society paying the bill for a heart attack, but usually it a. Happens once and there is no more medical expenses for that person (death) or b. They realize what is causing it and make adjustments or c. They continue with their lifestyle and the medical issues it causes for as long as they are on this side of the turf.

None of the above should be under the governments purview in respect to preventing consumption of foods or beverages available on a consumer market.

Since you find enjoyment in taking the basic rights as citizens of this country and refer to it as 'freedumb', then you will always be in the category that doesn't understand why this country was formed.

Have a good day.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,570x in 36,509 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    We could put together something more dramatic than that, dontcha think? After all, if you want the government all up in your stuff, it has to be an unidentified virus there is no known cure for. Apparently you and I will not agree on what levels the government should be involved in people's lives.

No, actually the original topic was taxes going up, and health care being part of that. The cost of healthcare, actual care, not insurance, has been left to balloon without anyone actually addressing the 'why'... and that is where the PPACA was a huge bandaid that didn't do anything about actual care costs. Reading one's EOB from their insurance, or a hospital bill is an education in markup- ever asked a provider what their cash charge is versus insurance? I do it regularly, and while some claim they don't accept cash, it's a CYA due to some line in their contract with insurance companies that says they cannot accept a patient on a cash basis if they are known to have insurance. Some examples:

Chiropractic adjustment, basic. Cash: $40 Insurance Co-pay: $60 Xrays, 3 views. Cash: $50 Insurance: $159.00

Those are my personal ancedotes, but I'm sure I could come up with proof of payments.

The minute you let the government tell you what you can or cannot eat or drink, why would you think it would stop there? Education and information provides people with the tools to help themselves. The alternative may be society paying the bill for a heart attack, but usually it a. Happens once and there is no more medical expenses for that person (death) or b. They realize what is causing it and make adjustments or c. They continue with their lifestyle and the medical issues it causes for as long as they are on this side of the turf.

None of the above should be under the governments purview in respect to preventing consumption of foods or beverages available on a consumer market.

Since you find enjoyment in taking the basic rights as citizens of this country and refer to it as 'freedumb', then you will always be in the category that doesn't understand why this country was formed.

Have a good day.
    It's simply a theoretical situation. It's a question of state intervention as a matter of principle. Moreover, it's hardly a fantastic scenario. So you wouldn't rule out state intervention as a matter of principle either? OK.

We weren't discussing taxes in general. We were discussing health care spending and the impact of obesity but you obviously know this. With all due respect, I'm not interested in your life or your tangents. I don't mean that as an insult. They're just not pertinent.

No one suggested the government dictate what you eat or drink. Could you be any more dramatic? At the very least, employers should not just be allowed to charge higher premiums to individuals who are obese but should be encouraged to do so as a corrective measure. They should also be allowed to require participation in a wellness plan of some kind. As far as a state policy is concerned, the state should be able to dictate the rules. Those are our tax dollars. You do not have the right to be careless and lazy in that scenario.

The "tools" for people to help themselves have always been there yet that hasn't seemed to help. The problem has gotten worse not better. Did you know that approximately 100 million American adults are obese and a large majority are at least overweight? This is a large part of the problem with respect to rising medical costs and healthcare spending overall. It's not sustainable. Again, this is moving in a direction liberty lovers will not like but they are their own worst enemies.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread