User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Modern Day Slavery In The Modern Day South

  1. #1
    Points: 45,458, Level: 52
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,592
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Agent Zero's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    19619
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    8,003
    Points
    45,458
    Level
    52
    Thanks Given
    2,498
    Thanked 1,784x in 1,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation Modern Day Slavery In The Modern Day South

    This is incredibly creepy and not suprising at all. We've got relatives in the area, including where this happened, Conway...as well as Myrtle Beach and Georgetown...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...an/2527814001/

    A white restaurant manager was sentenced to 10 years for enslaving and beating a black man

    A white South Carolina restaurant manager has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for enslaving a black worker with an intellectual disability for five years, forcing him to work more than 100 hours a week without pay and frequently beating him with a belt, the Justice Department said Thursday.
    On one occasion, according to the Department of Justice, Bobby Paul Edwards, the manager of J&J Cafeteria in Conway, South Carolina, "dipped metal tongs into hot grease and burned the victim’s neck" for failing to deliver fried chicken to the buffet quickly.
    Edwards "yelled at the victim and used racial slurs to belittle and demean him," the Justice Department said in announcing the sentencing.
    In addition to the prison sentence, Edwards was required to pay the worker, John Christopher Smith, more than $500,000 in damages, including $272,000 in the back pay he never received.
    Smith's ordeal finally ended in 2014 when the mother-in-law of a waitress notified authorities of the abuse.
    “It is almost inconceivable that instances of forced labor endure in this country to this day – a century and a half after the Emancipation Proclamation,” said Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband of the Civil Rights Division.
    How crazy alt righties got pwnd by a conervative web site:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlins.../#3b7ecb78e9b5
    il·lib·er·al
    i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəladjective1.opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior
    "illiberal and anti-democratic policies
    • synonyms: intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary;


  2. #2
    Original Ranter
    Points: 582,217, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Karma
    438223
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    173,352
    Points
    582,217
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    105,209
    Thanked 89,205x in 59,732 Posts
    Mentioned
    2293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of modern day slavery in the US. And it is not geographically limited.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Please visit my blog http://thepoliticalforums.com/blogs/peter/
    (If a post link does not work, see the archives- it should work there.)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

    donttread (11-14-2019)

  4. #3
    Points: 243,484, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    274996
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    107,987
    Points
    243,484
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    13,040
    Thanked 43,984x in 32,695 Posts
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    There is a lot of modern day slavery in the US. And it is not geographically limited.
    We’ve had several incidents up here in the Pacific NW.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

    Peter1469 (11-09-2019)

  6. #4
    Points: 58,314, Level: 58
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    8799
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    27,151
    Points
    58,314
    Level
    58
    Thanks Given
    46,104
    Thanked 8,803x in 7,079 Posts
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    This is incredibly creepy and not suprising at all. We've got relatives in the area, including where this happened, Conway...as well as Myrtle Beach and Georgetown...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...an/2527814001/

    A white restaurant manager was sentenced to 10 years for enslaving and beating a black man

    A white South Carolina restaurant manager has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for enslaving a black worker with an intellectual disability for five years, forcing him to work more than 100 hours a week without pay and frequently beating him with a belt, the Justice Department said Thursday.
    On one occasion, according to the Department of Justice, Bobby Paul Edwards, the manager of J&J Cafeteria in Conway, South Carolina, "dipped metal tongs into hot grease and burned the victim’s neck" for failing to deliver fried chicken to the buffet quickly.
    Edwards "yelled at the victim and used racial slurs to belittle and demean him," the Justice Department said in announcing the sentencing.
    In addition to the prison sentence, Edwards was required to pay the worker, John Christopher Smith, more than $500,000 in damages, including $272,000 in the back pay he never received.
    Smith's ordeal finally ended in 2014 when the mother-in-law of a waitress notified authorities of the abuse.
    “It is almost inconceivable that instances of forced labor endure in this country to this day – a century and a half after the Emancipation Proclamation,” said Assistant Attorney General Eric Dreiband of the Civil Rights Division.
    Only a very stupid person would take this to mean anything except one bad guy.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our freedom and our society and our morals.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

    nathanbforrest45 (11-12-2019)

  8. #5
    Points: 483,771, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    400677
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    155,457
    Points
    483,771
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    16,875
    Thanked 48,252x in 35,312 Posts
    Mentioned
    1759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "This is incredibly creepy and not suprising at all."

    I get "incredibly creepy"but not "not suprising at all."

    Other members report incidents, but I don't see a continuation of the institution of slavery. Modern day slavery usually refers to human trafficking.
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  9. #6
    Points: 123,576, Level: 85
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 2,474
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    81563
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    40,996
    Points
    123,576
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    6,896
    Thanked 13,528x in 10,189 Posts
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    There is a lot of modern day slavery in the US. And it is not geographically limited.

  10. #7
    Points: 123,576, Level: 85
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 2,474
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    81563
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    40,996
    Points
    123,576
    Level
    85
    Thanks Given
    6,896
    Thanked 13,528x in 10,189 Posts
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    There is a lot of modern day slavery in the US. And it is not geographically limited.
    It is a blight on our name. Look at sex trafficking. How low of an individual would you have to be to participate in that practice? A daily job description that includes rape , false imprisonment, assault , etc, etc etc.
    It should carry the death penalty.

  11. #8
    Points: 10,546, Level: 24
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1471
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,472
    Points
    10,546
    Level
    24
    Thanks Given
    1,895
    Thanked 1,461x in 1,020 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    It is a blight on our name. Look at sex trafficking. How low of an individual would you have to be to participate in that practice? A daily job description that includes rape , false imprisonment, assault , etc, etc etc.
    It should carry the death penalty.
    It's pretty bad, but we're actually not as bad about it as a lot of the rest of the world. The most blatant slavery right now is occurring in Libya, where primarily Arabs are buying people.

    Granted, Arabs were the first to buy African slaves in the far past as well. Before the Atlantic Slave Trade, Arabs had been buying Africans for a long time.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Single Sign On provided by vBSSO