Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,264x in 12,387 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doggie DNA

Well, that went considerably more smoothly than I expected! I finally got around to ordering and using a Wisdom Panel DNA test kit on my wife's dog Lily, who is eight years old this month. It involves using a couple of swabs between the dog's cheek and gums, and seeing as how Lily gives a whole new meaning to the word "contrary" I was expecting resistance...but we caught her early in the morning as she was half asleep on the couch and she was fine with it, relatively speaking.

We should be getting results back in a couple of weeks. This should be interesting.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (11-11-2019),Just AnotherPerson (11-11-2019),texan (11-11-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's adorable. How fun is that? Maybe she'll have some relatives nearby.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does it cost?
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,645
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    texan's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,791x in 3,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Well, that went considerably more smoothly than I expected! I finally got around to ordering and using a Wisdom Panel DNA test kit on my wife's dog Lily, who is eight years old this month. It involves using a couple of swabs between the dog's cheek and gums, and seeing as how Lily gives a whole new meaning to the word "contrary" I was expecting resistance...but we caught her early in the morning as she was half asleep on the couch and she was fine with it, relatively speaking.

We should be getting results back in a couple of weeks. This should be interesting.
    First of all I love the look of Lily. Very cool markings. Also, that's very good information thank you. I am going to do it on our two dogs. Dexter and Cash. One is adopted and the other we found wondering around as a pup. What a great find.
    I am tired of everyone fighting with each other. This is all by design.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lily looks like a wonderful companion... but what is the point of knowing her heritage?

I've never understood the need for this DNA testing stuff. It doesn't change who you are, or who she is. Do you suspect a chihuahua in her ancestry?
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a DNA test on our dog, Soda.

Chow/Shar pei/Rottweiler.

It explains why he has a sensitive stomach, if fiercely loyal and suspicious of strangers.

Most people do th DNA test out of simple curiosity, but it's also useful because some breeds are more susceptible to certain medical problems than others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Collateral Damage (11-11-2019),Just AnotherPerson (11-11-2019),Standing Wolf (11-12-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn’t have bothered. I can tell you exactly what she is.

A dog.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,182
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    You shouldn’t have bothered. I can tell you exactly what she is.

A dog.
    Yeah, we kind of suspect that's the predominant genetic influence, but we also think there might be some badger - that's her nickname - and possibly kangaroo in there, as well.

Seriously, we're curious because she is faster than any dog I've ever seen who wasn't a greyhound, and a greyhound expert told us that there's a notch in her vertebra that only that breed has - so there's that. Her markings remind me of some hunting dog breeds. My wife actually didn't care about it, but I did the test on my dog Gemma a few years ago (AmStaff, German Shepherd, Boxer) and figured what the heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Common
    What does it cost?
    The kit was $85, and I found a coupon online for $10 off that. The Wisdom people have done such a good job of isolating the more than 200 breeds' DNA and applying that information to the test that they have forced virtually every other competitor out of business, but the price is still fairly reasonable, I think.

Fun fact: Wisdom's parent company is Mars, Inc., the folks who make the candy, as well as Royal Kanin dog food and a bunch of other stuff. (Insert chocolate lab joke here.)

Quote Originally Posted by texan
    First of all I love the look of Lily. Very cool markings. Also, that's very good information thank you. I am going to do it on our two dogs. Dexter and Cash. One is adopted and the other we found wondering around as a pup. What a great find.

When she was about three months old, some idiot dumped Lily out of a pickup truck in the middle of a supermarket parking lot and drove away. Fortunately a couple saw it happen and picked her up immediately. They couldn't keep her themselves because one of their dogs was dog-aggressive, but they had worked with a pitbull rescue that agreed to put her photo on their website. The wife saw it there and the rest is history. Talk about tossing a treasure in the trash!
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (11-11-2019)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, we kind of suspect that's the predominant genetic influence, but we also think there might be some badger - that's her nickname - and possibly kangaroo in there, as well.

Seriously, we're curious because she is faster than any dog I've ever seen who wasn't a greyhound, and a greyhound expert told us that there's a notch in her vertebra that only that breed has - so there's that. Her markings remind me of some hunting dog breeds. My wife actually didn't care about it, but I did the test on my dog Gemma a few years ago (AmStaff, German Shepherd, Boxer) and figured what the heck.

The kit was $85, and I found a coupon online for $10 off that. The Wisdom people have done such a good job of isolating the more than 200 breeds' DNA and applying that information to the test that they have forced virtually every other competitor out of business, but the price is still fairly reasonable, I think.

Fun fact: Wisdom's parent company is Mars, Inc., the folks who make the candy, as well as Royal Kanin dog food and a bunch of other stuff. (Insert chocolate lab joke here.)

When she was about three months old, some idiot dumped Lily out of a pickup truck in the middle of a supermarket parking lot and drove away. Fortunately a couple saw it happen and picked her up immediately. They couldn't keep her themselves because one of their dogs was dog-aggressive, but they had worked with a pitbull rescue that agreed to put her photo on their website. The wife saw it there and the rest is history. Talk about tossing a treasure in the trash!
    I would guess the hunting part is German Shorthair.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,182
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    I would guess the hunting part is German Shorthair.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too.

That would explain the markings, AND the ears.

+ Reply to Thread