User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump did not boom the economy. Here is the proof.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 1,747
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 44,079x in 28,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually if you look at ROI on the Obama investment of QE, bailouts and Stimulus then his GDP growth would take about 45 years to recoup the investment to the taxpayers without interest payments.
    Of course that wil never happen because we will be in continuous deficit spending unless we wipe out 25% of all Federal expenditures.

Reagan let it run its course and took a year and a half of pain and then we boomed for decades.
    Last edited by carolina73; 11-11-2019 at 05:47 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

MMC (11-12-2019),The Sage of Main Street (11-12-2019)

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,134
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    TheLiquidGuy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,038x in 1,742 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    We are 3 years into the Trump Presidency and you are trying to give Obama credit for Trumps economy? Really? LOL
    Actually no. What I am saying is that Trump cannot claim credit for the economic trends started long before he came on the scene.

You have seen the data that I offered in my original post. Can you honestly say that unemployment and stock markets were not already headed to where they are now? Can you say that Trumps GDP growth is the "best in the history of America?"

Trump inherited these economic indicators from previous times and took credit for it. Much like he inherited hundreds of millions from his dad -- and took credit for that too.

Obama's jobs were not worth a damn. Manufacturing creates middle class jobs not McDonalds. That is why the middle class shrunk under Obama and there was no wage growth.
    wages.1550084365488.jpg
    This chart shows real wage growth, which is not the wage growth you will hear about on the news. It's a better way to gauge things. For those who don't know, real wage growth (RWG) is growth that has been adjusted to account for the effect that inflation has on your paycheck. If RWG is 0% then wages are just treading water. So even if your paycheck has increased from $1000/week to $1050/week you are really still just getting $1000/week.

From the graph you can see Obama's wage growth numbers peaked at near 5% coming off the recession and cratered to -2% in late 2011. Since then it has climbed up to a fairly sustained high of about 2.4% over 2015. Trump takes control at 1.7% and within a year it drops to just below 0% and bounces back to 1.7% over the second half of 2018.

Look, RWG has been a rough and crazy ride to be sure. But nothing we see in wage growth can back up the infuriating conservative media narrative that Trump is some kind of economic messiah. Again, I am not saying Obama was either. I am saying that, at best, Trump is just along for the ride.

People over 50 could not longer get jobs because of threats of age discrimination law suits. So many of them had to just retire under Obama and use up all their savings until they could get on Medicare and SS.
    This assertion is hard to verify. Is this your own experience as an employer? Or do you have national data?

Where are those Green Jobs from Obama? With his shovel ready jobs? Or with his jobs saved from Stimulus? Or did you like his unneeded government jobs and fake disability growth to lower unemployment more?
    To be honest I am not familiar with the shovel ready jobs reference or the fake disability growth . Since we're talking about the nation as whole maybe we should stick to the macro economic perspective and just look at the stats.

If you look at BLS employment (16+ non-Ag) numbers instead of unemployment then they tell the story more accurately.
    I took the trouble to find you my data. Maybe you could do the same in this case

As an employer, I now cannot get laborers even after raising the starting pay 15%. We sure wish the wall was built so we could bring in South American laborers legally and have them pay a flat tax, and with health care.
    Not sure why we couldn't have a work treaty to allow that without a wall.
    Last edited by TheLiquidGuy; 11-11-2019 at 05:57 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLiquidGuy For This Useful Post:

Bo-4 (11-12-2019),Just AnotherPerson (11-12-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,538x in 55,961 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiquidGuy View Post
    Actually no. What I am saying is that Trump cannot claim credit for the economic trends started long before he came on the scene....
    The trends accelerated due to cuts in tax rates and regulatory reforms.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Cutting taxes expands the economy and increases federal revenue.
    Is that the right call? We should be limiting federal revenue. Stop the spending.
    Cutting corporate taxes leads to stock buy backs and huge deficit. Thanks to Trumps tax cuts, the debt climbed an extra $1.1 trillion that it didn't have to in 2018 and he is looking for excuses not to discuss infrastructure with Nancy because there is no longer the funds for it.

As I recall he claimed something ridiculous like "I would love to do infrastructure. It's what I do. But how can I that while I am being investigated?" He can't do infrastructure while he is being investigated? He is probably the most delicate snowflake of a president we have ever seen. Nixon and Clinton were both very productive while they were being investigated and impeached. But this snowflake plays more golf than the last 6 presidents combined, and starts throwing around tariffs like confetti. But he doesn't have the ability to take care of the most basic administrative functions? No. he most certainly could do infrastructure, but he gave away the money to the uber rich, and he doesn't want to admit it.
    Last edited by TheLiquidGuy; 11-11-2019 at 06:14 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheLiquidGuy For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (11-12-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cutting corporate taxes leads to stock buy backs and huge deficit. Thanks to Trumps tax cuts, the debt climbed an extra $1.1 trillion that it didn't have to in 2018 and he is looking for excuses not to discuss infrastructure with Nancy because there is no longer the funds for it.....
    Cuts in tax rates nearly always result in revenue increases due to a stimulated economy. In fact I can't recall one time where that wasn't the case.

Debt is caused by overspending. In other words, debt is cause by increasing spending at a rate greater than the revenue increases.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Calendar Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Meamwhile more jobs which were lost forever are returning, new jobs are being created, wages are rising and the stock exchange continues to post new record highs.
    jobs are returning: TRUE
    new jobs are being created: TRUE
    wages are rising: SORT OF TRUE (take a look at my post in this thread concerning "real wage growth")
    Stocks are hitting all time highs: TRUE

Most of what you said is true, but they were also true BEFORE Trump arrived on the scene. That's why I presented the graphs showing this. Trump is not creating a better world. He is just not screwing it up (yet).

Job I haven't shown any data on specific job creation so here's a chart I just found
    jobs added.jpg

When trump came in there is no marked difference in jobs added per quarter.
    If Democrats plan on running against the condition of the economy, they'll look foolish
    You are kinda right. Because the economy is good. Republicans will milk that notion for all it's worth. But I maintain, based on all the data I have presented here, that Trump did not really do anything special to cause this. He just takes credit for it without any empirical way to justify it. In otherwords, this was all gonna happen with or without Trump. The data bears that out.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLiquidGuy For This Useful Post:

Bo-4 (11-12-2019),Just AnotherPerson (11-12-2019)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wages are rising: SORT OF TRUE (take a look at my post in this thread concerning "real wage growth")

Most of what you said is true, but they were also true BEFORE Trump arrived on the scene. That's why I presented the graphs showing this. Trump is not creating a better world. He is just not screwing it up (yet).

Job I haven't shown any data on specific job creation so here's a chart I just found
    Attachment 27408

If Democrats plan on running against the condition of the economy, they'll look foolish
    You are kinda right. Because the economy is good. Republicans will milk that notion for all it's worth. But I maintain, based on all the data I have presented here, that Trump did not really do anything special to cause this. He just takes credit for it without any empirical way to justify it. In otherwords, this was all gonna happen with or without Trump. The data bears that out.
    During the Obama era wages were flat. The jobs created were low skilled jobs which only supplemented a primary income. Millions of people just tuned out of the jobs market. Those people are now returning because they can.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,433
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Agent Zero's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,784x in 1,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    Just look at the energy sector sir. You couldn't be further from the truth. It is no secret Obama was dismantling that sector. Trump definately reversed those fortunes. Our economy is based on oil and energy.

Check Mate.

Obama could have fixed it by not being a business idiot. Career politician. never met a payroll.
    Without commenting on how many thousands of employees and contractors Trump has stiffed, the claim is true. Trumps taking credit for Obama’s work.

https://apnews.com/3e265c4138d04e22886e6e1818789734

and the days of our economy being based on oil and energy are in the past. Look for computer technology, AI, and green energy to dominate.
    How crazy alt righties got pwnd by a conervative web site:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlins.../#3b7ecb78e9b5
    il·lib·er·al
    i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəladjective1.opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior
    "illiberal and anti-democratic policies
    • synonyms: intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary;

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent Zero For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (11-12-2019)

Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,391x in 54,973 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Attachment 27408

And again, Obama prolonged the recovery, that was the easy 80%, the hard part is the 20%. Pareto Rule.

Let me clarofy, though, I do not atribute anything ecoonomically positive to any President. Never made sense to me that any President can lay claim to being responsible for that, for negatives, yes, positives, no.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Hmmm. The media giving Obama credit for our current economic conditions. Gee who would have guessed that would happen?

Does that mean that the Democrats running for President can’t use a stale economy as a campaign issue?

+ Reply to Thread