User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The AR-15 has not changed, so what has?

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CaveDog's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 846x in 470 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The AR-15 has not changed, so what has?

I really don't expect to change any minds. Attitudes today are well entrenched but nevertheless I think the question is worth asking.

Despite the demonization of firearms and the AR-15 rifle in particular by many these days an indisputable fact remains. The AR-15 rifle has not fundamentally changed since it's introduction to the civilian market in the 1960s. Ergonomics have changed somewhat but it has not somehow become a more deadly weapon than it ever was. Nevertheless, you could mail order one with no background check yet the AR was in civilian hands for 40 years before one was ever used in a mass shooting. You cannot attribute mass shootings to the design of the rifle itself or we would have been seeing these shootings decades before we actually did. That begs the question, if the AR-15 has not fundamentally changed (and by extension the semi-automatic firearms which have been around equally as long, if not longer) then what has changed to make mass shootings so common?
    Make Orwell fiction again.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaveDog For This Useful Post:

Admiral Ackbar (11-17-2019),bulletbob (11-17-2019),Peter1469 (11-17-2019),Toober (11-17-2019)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveDog View Post
    I really don't expect to change any minds. Attitudes today are well entrenched but nevertheless I think the question is worth asking.

Despite the demonization of firearms and the AR-15 rifle in particular by many these days an indisputable fact remains. The AR-15 rifle has not fundamentally changed since it's introduction to the civilian market in the 1960s. Ergonomics have changed somewhat but it has not somehow become a more deadly weapon than it ever was. Nevertheless, you could mail order one with no background check yet the AR was in civilian hands for 40 years before one was ever used in a mass shooting. You cannot attribute mass shootings to the design of the rifle itself or we would have been seeing these shootings decades before we actually did. That begs the question, if the AR-15 has not fundamentally changed (and by extension the semi-automatic firearms which have been around equally as long, if not longer) then what has changed to make mass shootings so common?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say due to cutbacks in mental health services in this country over the past 30 years, there are more mentally unstable people out there who acquire weapons such as the AR-15 and use them in criminal acts. Plus with all the violence on television and video games, people (especially younger people) have become desensitized to violence and accept it to a degree. Just my two cents.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gamewell45 For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (11-17-2019)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bulletbob's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,639x in 3,469 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have the mental health of people and hollywoods inlnfluance and how the media covers events.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,645x in 56,028 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say due to cutbacks in mental health services in this country over the past 30 years, there are more mentally unstable people out there who acquire weapons such as the AR-15 and use them in criminal acts. Plus with all the violence on television and video games, people (especially younger people) have become desensitized to violence and accept it to a degree. Just my two cents.
    I'll agree that mental healt treatment has extremely in adaquate and actually getting worse. In your mind is it a local government issue or is a one size fits all federal program the solution?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    I'll agree that mental healt treatment has extremely in adaquate and actually getting worse. In your mind is it a local government issue or is a one size fits all federal program the solution?
    I think its more of a state issue. Some states may be better at funding mental health programs then others but I'm guessing it depends on the state you live in.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think its more of a state issue. Some states may be better at funding mental health programs then others but I'm guessing it depends on the state you live in.
    I think it's an issue strictly for states and counties.

Many states and counties have a law which says a certain percentage of all infrastructure projects must be dedicated to supporting the arts. Why? Why not eliminate that and replace it with mental health services?

Let's create responsible laws to legislate how tax payer money is spent
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 11-17-2019 at 08:47 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (11-19-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's an issue strictly for states and counties.

Many states and counties have a law which says a certain percentage of all infrastructure projects must be dedicated to supporting the arts. Why? Why not eliminate that and replace it with mental health services?

Let's create responsible laws to legislate how tax payer money is spent
    I'm not sure what the laws are where I live but it would be interesting to see what they are.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Toober's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 267x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveDog View Post

true, i got my first one in 65...its basically the same as the new ones...

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the laws are where I live but it would be interesting to see what they are.
    Washington state will spend 113 million dollars funding art projects ove the next year and a half. Many counties and cities have enacted the same law. Some of projects are a tin sculpture in a run down area of a salmon catching a man on a rod and reel. They say it will help make the people in the neighborhood feel pride in ownership.

If these sculptures are not in a high visibility area, they get destroyed.
    Last edited by Tahuyaman; 11-17-2019 at 09:38 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (11-17-2019),The Sage of Main Street (11-19-2019)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Toober's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 267x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washington state will spend 113 million dollars funding art projects ove the next year and a half. Many counties and cities have enacted the same law. Some of projects are a tin sculpture in a run down area of a salmon catching a man on a rod and reel. They say it will help make the people in the neighborhood feel pride in ownership.
    dont they have better things to spend their tax dollars on?

homelessness, infrastructure?

+ Reply to Thread