Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 28x in 23 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    This was a seriously heartfelt thread. I spent a long time compiling all of the playlists, Editing the Christmas picture, and trying to share my best message of warmth and love to all. I meant every word.

It seems we just cant have anything good here. I give up.

If it was what you were intended to do you give up awfully easy.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." John Adams

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 2,269
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,049x in 8,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a seriously heartfelt thread. I spent a long time compiling all of the playlists, Editing the Christmas picture, and trying to share my best message of warmth and love to all. I meant every word.

Never give up what you believe in and what you love.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (12-25-2019)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Old Trapper's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 28x in 23 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I didn't see the word everyone in the highlighted text. A great many people will be warmed by the spirit of Christmas, however those people who are sociopaths and addicts will scarcely know that that Christmas took place and others still, don't believe or are not Christians or could not care less. Christmas does not have universality. This thread was not directed at those who hate Christmas or don't recognize it. It was directed at those who love it for whatever reason that they love it. The fact that there are bad people, who do bad things and people who are just shallow and selfish, doesn't diminish what Christmas means to people who either religiously or culturally revere it.

I seriously doubt you could find 100 people that "revere" Christmas. In fact it is not even one of Gods holydays, it was established entirely by man, for the benefit of man.

When I was a child Christmas with all of its pomp, and circumstances, was one of my favorite days. We would go to a place called "Christmas Street" and look at the homes all decorated up. We would go to the woods, cut a tree while drinking hot cocoa. Then there was the caroling, the nativity scenes, just a joyful time. Those days are gone.

Each year I buy turkey dinners for the poor. Last year I bought 140, and that does not count the rubber boots, hoodies, school supplies, etc., for the school children. Then we were eating dinner, watching the news, and they were talking about these three elderly women who had been evicted, and were living out of their car in a parking lot. So, I looks at my g/f, and we gave our 26" Copper Canyon trailer to the women. Long story short, the "church" that was helping the women stole the trailer from them, or maybe I would be closer to saying "conned" them out of it.

Now, that was only part of my story, however, do you see any Nativity scenes at "churches" anymore? How about kids out caroling?

We live in a world filled with poverty, death, greed, and just plain evil. And the powers that could change it are the ones that profit from it. I don't denigrate JAP fir his efforts, just reminding him that for all of his good intentions evil is taking over, not good. And the church" is greatly responsible for it.
    Last edited by Old Trapper; 12-03-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." John Adams

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    I seriously doubt you could find 100 people that "revere" Christmas. In fact it is not even one of Gods holydays, it was established entirely by man, for the benefit of man.

When I was a child Christmas with all of its pomp, and circumstances, was one of my favorite days. We would go to a place called "Christmas Street" and look at the homes all decorated up. We would go to the woods, cut a tree while drinking hot cocoa. Then there was the caroling, the nativity scenes, just a joyful time. Those days are gone.

Each year I buy turkey dinners for the poor. Last year I bought 140, and that does not count the rubber boots, hoodies, school supplies, etc., for the school children. Then we were eating dinner, watching the news, and they were talking about these three elderly women who had been evicted, and were living out of their car in a parking lot. So, I looks at my g/f, and we gave our 26" Copper Canyon trailer to the women. Long story short, the "church" that was helping the women stole the trailer from them, or maybe I would be closer to saying "conned" them out of it.

Now, that was only part of my story, however, do you see any Nativity scenes at "churches" anymore? How about kids out caroling?

We live in a world filled with poverty, death, greed, and just plain evil. And the powers that could change it are the ones that profit from it. I don't denigrate JAP fir his efforts, just reminding him that for all of his good intentions evil is taking over, not good. And the church" is greatly responsible for it.
    A lot of people do revere Christmas. I, myself, don't believe in god. But Christmas is awesome. Yeah, Jesus was probably born around April 13th or 14th, and his birthday was placed over the winter solstice celebrations of the pagans. Christmas was commercialized some 70-odd years ago and turned into national economy day. So what?

I get to put up lights and listen to old Bing Crosby songs. Candy canes, pie, Christmas movies, all that.

We do live in a horrible world, no question. But the world is also full of awesome people. Granted, you are not one of them. In the spirit of Christmas, I hope you get a stocking full of coal.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,614x in 25,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many love Christmas, either for its religious foundation, its warmth or that it brings an attempt, once a year, to remind us all what we should be - among other reasons. Thank you for posting this. @Just AnotherPerson Don’t give up.

If you drive by St. Francis Xavier in Medina, Ohio, the Nativity Crèche is out. The school kids will be caroling four or five times this year. Go up to the square and get some hot chocolate.

914127BC-866A-4425-A166-FB1B5559EC67.jpg

2713BB4D-057E-484C-A619-934BBB8DABC6.jpg
    Last edited by DGUtley; 12-03-2019 at 04:16 AM.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (12-14-2019),Dr. Who (12-03-2019),FindersKeepers (12-03-2019),Just AnotherPerson (12-25-2019)

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    FindersKeepers's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 26,625x in 16,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Christmas. Not for any religious reason, but because it's a time to watch humanity at its best. When our kids were little, we always took them to the local angel tree in the foyer of the bank and choose an angel that represented a child who needed toys, hats, mittens, etc. They purchased the items with their own money and it made them feel good. We also participated in the "Adopt a Family for Christmas" program where we took over all the food they'd need for Christmas dinner. I was disappointed to hear they'd ended that program just this year.

My house was decorated the day after Thanksgiving, and I love the tree and lights. They'll all come down the day after Christmas, but most of this month will be colorfully lit. Stockings for all five dogs are hanging -- waiting to be filled with Kong's and rawhide chews. I'm 95% done with my Christmas shopping, having taken advantage of both online Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

I will host a Christmas Eve get together and my sister will host a Christmas Day dinner -- but we won't go to that one, since we're non-meat eaters and my husband can't eat anything with artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. It will be busy these next few weeks, in addition to full-time work, I'll be making boxes filled with goodies for our construction clients and for half a dozen elderly recipients who are just too sweet not to give something to.

I love this time of year because this is when people dig deep and help others. We're working on a Habitat house that isn't scheduled to be completed until February, but the contractors got together and all agreed to work overtime to see if we can get the family in by Christmas. That "family" is a young widowed mother with twin sons. It's something we really want to make happen.

I love sitting by a crackling fire when it's snowing outside -- just reading a book and snuggling under a soft throw.

It's all good.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (12-03-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGod View Post
    A lot of people do revere Christmas. I, myself, don't believe in god. But Christmas is awesome. Yeah, Jesus was probably born around April 13th or 14th, and his birthday was placed over the winter solstice celebrations of the pagans. Christmas was commercialized some 70-odd years ago and turned into national economy day. So what?

I get to put up lights and listen to old Bing Crosby songs. Candy canes, pie, Christmas movies, all that.

We do live in a horrible world, no question. But the world is also full of awesome people. Granted, you are not one of them. In the spirit of Christmas, I hope you get a stocking full of coal.
    What great sentiments! I don't think the persona named "Jesus" was born at all -- but that doesn't make the manger story any less warm and comforting. I can be an atheist and still appreciate how that story brings people together at this time of year. I love Christmas. I always have. And, I love feeling that I am helping others at this time of year.
    ""A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" ~George Bernard Shaw

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those days are gone only if you want them to be gone. For millions upon millions, those days are still here and will offer warmth and comradeship throughout this wonderful season.
    A church can certainly do something like that -- but I'm glad to see you actually have a bit of a heart during the holidays. That's what it's all about -- giving to others. Helping others. It's amazing how people step up this time of year.
    The carolers aren't out yet -- but they'll be here. A group of young Mennonite singers will visit my mother's house (she lives in the country), and sing for a good 30 minutes a few days before Christmas. They'll bring treats for her and she loves it. Some of them have quite a commute to get to her home. Humans are amazing.

We live in a world of our own creating. While I'm an atheist, I find no need to denigrate the church because it comforts others and it's their choice whether or not to belong. JAP is obviously female, but you already knew that. Your post doesn't really troll the thread as much as it makes us realize that modern-day scrooge's still exist and that we can turn our attention elsewhere and still see the magic of the holidays and how it brings out the best in most people.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FindersKeepers For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (12-03-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a wonderful thread, don't give up on it. The detractors in this thread should only make us appreciate the on-topic posters even more!

I'm hoping for a white Christmas this year and that's always iffy in my neck of the woods. How about you? Do you think you'll get a white Christmas?

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,489x in 94,936 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    Last edited by DGUtley; 12-03-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread